Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

X-Wing Games

Chickenman

Anybody still play them? I finally bought another joystick, so I'm cruising through X-Wing Alliance. Also trying to find my the second disk to XvT so I can play that. And trying to find a good DOS emulator for TIE Fighter.

I plan on playing this when I finish Alliance.

Radioactive Isotope

my sister broke our joystick and even all these years later i can't justify paying $70+ for a new one. besides that, think the games disappeared when my mom did her Computer Room Purge of DOOM! but if i could find them and a decent, inexpensive joystick, i'd love to play them. i got to the last mission on the Death Star in Alliance, which is the closest i've been to finishing a game ever.

Chickenman

I bought a Logitech 3D somethingmeister for $20 at Best Buy using a $20 coupon. And I must say it is not a crappy joystick.

Andy

I was going to play XWA the other day, then I pulled my PC out to realise that they don't put gaming ports on these things any more. So I guess I'll have to get a USB joystick. :roll:

Mara

My dad has an old joystick but couldn't ever get it to work on our old computer.

Wish I had those games.

Chickenman

I was going to play XWA the other day, then I pulled my PC out to realise that they don't put gaming ports on these things any more. So I guess I'll have to get a USB joystick. :roll:

Ran into that problem meself.

CorSec

Quoted for truth. Look into a game-port to USB adaptor. Probably cheaper.

This stopped me from playing XvT again (as well as http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/)

Andy

Quoted for truth. Look into a game-port to USB adaptor. Probably cheaper.

Although I haven't checked yet, I'm pretty sure one of my old comps has a gameport attatched to an expansion slot. Hmm...

Chickenman

Just started playing X-Wing Alliance again today, and I just have to say, this game is so headache-causing it should be a crimed. I hate/love flight sims.

Radioactive Isotope

i'm going to have to find those on Amazon/eBay for cheap. we might be getting a new desktop from a friend of my brother's that has an awesome graphics card. might have to pick up XWA again. the Tie Fighter mission where you have to shoot the missiles out of the sky to save the transport thingy is the most annoying mission ever. i don't think i ever got past it.

Chickenman

It's so great but so bleeding hard. I mean, I'm not a good gamer by any stretch, but ouch.

The family missions in XWA are the worst. You start off with the 7 mission prologue, which is a pretty cool introduction about your family losing everything to the Empire and what causes you to join up with the Alliance, but after that, you still have to do two or three family missions each tour of duty. The story's decent enough that it's a necessary evil, but I just like hopping into my snubfighter and going. Piloting the Otana and docking and ferrying cargo is tough. Especially cargo. You can either fly with it and let it get destroyed in when you're hit, or you can jettison it to pick back up later, except in the meantime the enemy picks it up. And especially the docking, where you have to jump in a turret with a crappy field of view and just sit there as you get strafed.

Radioactive Isotope

that's why i play in Invincible Mode. and Unlimited Ammo. :p

Andy

XWA is one of my favourite games... haven't played it in years. Maybe it's time to pick it up again? lol

jedimaster1043

X-Wing Alliance......ah the memories....I need to put that back on my copmuter

Andy

My joystick doesn't work because my computer doesn't have a gaming port. Should really upgrade to USB... lol

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.