Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Spore

Andy

Well I've been following development of this for AGES.

EA Just released the creature creator. There is a free demo version and the full creator for a low price.

I been messing around with it it's pretty cool. Quite funny too. :p

Can't wait til the full game is out :D

FYI, if you didn't know, Will Wright is the genius who has brought us such classic games as Sim City and the Sims.

god_that_failed

I've been looking forward to this games for ages aswell, it really does look fun, well with all the diffrent phases and such. I think I'm most intrested in the city mode, because I'm intrested in seeing how the simplified SimCity phase works.

Andy

Yeah I love SimCity. And I love making things, and the building editor for the city mode works the same as the creature editor. Also, I want the space phase so I can go blow some planets up, hehe.

And, of course, it'll be really cool seeing other players creations imported into your game automatically. That was a really neat idea.

god_that_failed

Yeah it was.

I'm intrested in blowing some planets up aswell. lol But I also wanna destroy some planets some other ways, like rddling the surface with volcanoes or making it rain too much.

Andy

Yep, and like in the video where he dropped that creature on a planet with no atmosphere. :p

god_that_failed

Yeah, the little guy exploded into a cloud of blood and goop. lol

It's fun talking about how we're going to kill imaginary creatures. lol

One thing I'm not too excited about is the bactia phase, for some reason it just doesn't intrest me. I think I'll skip that phase if I can.

Tsl

I'm waiting for the full game...and hoping my PC can play it :p

Tsl

Okay, anybody got it yet? It's alot of fun so far. I'm on the tribal stage.

Chickenman

Don't really have the money to spend on it.

But if I did, I would.

Andy

I have to save money at the moment because I am switching from weekly to monthly pay. :roll:

Tsl

Gah! I flippin' made it to flippin' space travel stage and the flippin' game didn't save because my flippin' computer is flippin' stupid. Flippin' hell!

Chickenman

What the flip?!

Andy

That flippin' sucks. :(

Drake

I would have probably flipped out if that happened to me.

Tsl

At least it did save my sexy vehicle and building designs. :p

CorSec

I had Spore installed for about 7 hours.

Maxis has an interesting history in developing popular games that are open-ended (see: The Sims). Spore does not end. You will never 'take over' the spore universe. Once I reached Space, there was nothing there to keep me interested. Sure, some of the tools were fun at first (terraforming), but it was tedious to continue to do that for every planet I wanted to colonize. This is ignoring the fact that a well run space-civ will be difficult for the kind of gamer they seem to have babied through the first four stages. Space becomes complicated somewhat quickly compared to the others.

The bottom line is, if I wanted to play a Space Civ game, I would just play GalCiv (google it, worth a test drive imo).

Some of my other concerns:

- Its designed for a casual player; keybindings are inaccessible.

- The camera is lost somewhere between a third person RPG and an RTS, the controls don't feel familiar to either. Especially problematic during Space stage.

- The gameplay is repetitive. Each stage of evolution has a trick. Learn it, repeat it, conquer, move on.

- It feels like playing 5 unrelated mini-games in succession. You earn 'traits' as an overall species, but they have little affect on what you actually do. While I spent time as a peaceful herbivore for 3 stages, it didn't matter when I turned around and nuked all of the neighbouring cities during the Civ stage.

- The editor is dumbed down for ease of use. Think a four legged creature will run faster than one with 2 legs? think again! Adding parts to your creature only adds stats of various levels (which never stack). So while adding a pair of arms may grant you the ability to Claw! Adding another set of clawed arms will not make you claw any harder or faster.

On the plus side, The editor tool is good at what it does. Patience will reward you with whatever ship/creature you desire.

Spore for me, much like the first time I played the Sims or Sim City, is fun for a while. Who doesn't revel in the opportunity to play God now and then? But I couldn't invest any serious amount of time into this game as it is now.

Edited by CorSec

Drake

It's looking like I'll be content in sticking with my $10 Spore Creature Creator.

Chickenman

Who doesn't revel in the opportunity to play God now and then?

I imagine it could get boring after awhile.

God: Julie, hold my calls and push the appointment with Buddha back an hour. No, he'll understand. He's a patient guy. Of course he's a patient guy. Because he's freaking Buddha, that's why!...Thank you Julie.

*Tiredly hits his head on the desk*

Tsl

Yeah, this is definitely a game like the Sims. Play for a few hours, maybe for a couple days or so then get bored and stop. Then maybe go back to it and mess around for a bit, then get bored and quit again. It's just fun enough that it's worth having though. It's definitely an easy game. Really easy. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun too. It also has some replayability going for it. For example, I played as a carnivorous warlike evil b******. Next I'll play an herbivore who takes over using religion :p

Is that creature creator game just the critter design part of the game packaged stand alone or is it extras to use for building in game critters/vehicles/buildings? Seems kind of boring to do the creating and not kill things with the critters you make :p

Drake

Yeah. I'm just trying to decide if I want to shell out $50 for the full game right away, though, lol.

Andy

Is that creature creator game just the critter design part of the game packaged stand alone or is it extras to use for building in game critters/vehicles/buildings? Seems kind of boring to do the creating and not kill things with the critters you make :p

It's basically just a stand-alone creature creator. It was pretty much the demo for the game to get people used to the building tools before launch time. :)

CorSec

I was lucky in that, one of my friends purchased it directdownload. I just stole his key (eating up one of his 3 installs!) and played with it for a bit.

There's definitely some 'fun' to it, but with 8 years in development, they should have noticed some of these things.

Edited by CorSec

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.