Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Dollhouse (potential spoilers)

Drake

From Wikipedia:

Dollhouse is an hour-long American drama series created by Joss Whedon which went into production in April 2008. The show will air on Fox as part of their midseason lineup in January 2009 on Mondays at 8PM, before 24. The series stars Eliza Dushku, who worked with Whedon on the cult television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain will be showrunners, while Tim Minear and Steven DeKnight will serve as consulting producers. The writing staff will include Tim Minear, Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain, and Joss Whedon. Whedon will direct a number of his own episodes, as he has done in past series. Tim Minear and Buffy alum David Solomon are also set to direct. A viral marketing campaign promoting Dollhouse was started on May 26th, 2008.

Dollhouse, which is to be produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Mutant Enemy Inc., has been granted a thirteen-episode production commitment by Fox, with a reported license fee in the range of US$1.5 million to US$2 million per episode. Fox has decided to forgo the pilot episode of the series, opting to put funds towards the construction of the elaborate set and cultural context of the television series. It has been described as a "life-size Dollhouse".

Dollhouse, along with J. J. Abrams' Fringe, will air with half the commercials and promo spots, adding about 6 minutes to the shows' run times, as part of a new Fox initiative called "Remote-Free TV".

PREMISE

In Dollhouse, Dushku plays a young woman named Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls" who volunteered for the work in the Dollhouse. They give up five years of their lives, and at the end they receive a large sum of money and no memory of anything they did for the Dollhouse. The Dolls have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments. They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds. On missions, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between tasks, they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

Beyond Dushku's character, the show will also revolve around the people who run the mysterious "Dollhouse" and two other "Dolls", Victor and Sierra, who are friendly with Echo. Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers, the operation is highly illegal and under constant threat from Paul Smith, a determined federal agent who has heard a rumor about the dolls on one end and an insane rogue Active on the other.

CHECK OUT THE TRAILER!

Ayingel

teh cool....i will be watching for this one.

Mara

Sounds interesting.

Hopefully it will last longer than "Drive" did on FOX.

Chickenman

Watching it now.

Looks awesome so far. I have high hopes. :D

Also, Eliza Dushku...I can has? :puppydogeyes:

Edited by Chickenman

Mara

Watched it this morning.

I likes. :D

Mara

Last Friday's was pretty awesome.

I felt bad for the lady with the lasagna, though. :p

Drake

I'm not sure if I'm entirely pleased with how fast they're moving things along. I heard that it was Fox's doing to have the storyline unfold faster than Joss wanted. I mean, the second episode and already Echo is picking up things from her Active personas? I'm referring to the "shoulder to the wheel" smack she gave herself at the very end.

It would have been nicer to have had it go a little slower.

Mara

I just think FOX likes to screw Joss over.

Chickenman

So what's everyone thinking? At first I thought it was alright, then a friend explained to me every single reason that it sucks and so I started thinking that it sucks, and now I'm back to sort of liking it again.

Edited by Chickenman

Drake

I love it. The last two episodes have been especially good.

Also, your friend is probably a moron.

Also, you have no friends. :p

Edited by Drake

Chickenman

Well I wish someone had told me before now! :???:

Mara

I'm really liking it so far.

I agree with Drake that the last episode or two have been even better.

Like when Mr Dominick was all high. And his gun "was so heavy." Ahahaha... I loved that bit.

Drake

Everything with Topher and DeWitt was hilarious. Also when Boyd discovered some terribly important piece of information...and then proceeded to sit down and play the piano. :lol:

Chickenman

You see, I don't like Topher. He's like Wash Lite.

Drake

He could also be a Xander "Lite" too. Or whoever the comedic relief was in Angel...Wesley? Lorne, maybe?

Whatever. The point is that you shouldn't compare the character to Whedon's other creations. It's a completely different character in a completely different setting. You really need to remove yourself from the idea that they should be the same. It can be a foolish trap to fall into.

Chickenman

No, it's the similarity that's annoying me, not the fact that he's not as funny as Wash. He kind of feels like they took Wash out of Firefly, took everything lovable and funny about him and threw him here.

I don't know. It's just taking me longer to warm up to this show than I'd like. I blame my ever so mythical "friend." :p

Drake

They're clearly a bad influence. :p

Bad furday

I hate the technician geek dude. I keep hoping one of the dollhouse chicks goes rogue and takes him out, but to no avail. :p

I haven't watched the last two episodes..but sadly, I've been bored by much of the show...or laughing at parts that are unintentionally funny.

Mara

Everything with Topher and DeWitt was hilarious. Also when Boyd discovered some terribly important piece of information...and then proceeded to sit down and play the piano. :lol:

Haha, yeah.... But I kept yelling at Topher to put his pants back on. :p

I dunno, but I like Topher's character. *shrug*

Chickenman

I hate the technician geek dude. I keep hoping one of the dollhouse chicks goes rogue and takes him out, but to no avail. :p

Hope harder.

I haven't watched the last two episodes..but sadly, I've been bored by much of the show...or laughing at parts that are unintentionally funny.

Exactly. Was it just me or was the Most Dangerous Game episode the most uninspired thing ever?

Bad furday

yeah...I...couldn't give you a plot description of that episode without looking it up. :p

And whenever Tamoh Penniket or whatever shows up onscreen, I'm always like, "It's Helio!" ( from BSG) :p

Mara

Was that the one where that guy was hunting Echo?

Drake

Yes. I liked the last scene in that one, where Echo first shows that she's glitching and remembering things after the treatment.

Mara

Yeah, that guy was craaaazy. :p

But I thought it was a good episode.

Chickenman

It's a tired premise.

I will say that I liked the poison being the trigger for her memories to come back (as i understand it, anyway).

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.