Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Drake

The Hobbit and LotR "Sequel" Movies (possible movie spoilers)

Drake

To be directed by Guillermo del Toro

I'm okay about del Toro directing. He did great with Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth...and Hellboy II looks even better than the first. What I'm not too sure about is the second movie they'll be doing. "...the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring...."

Does anyone remember, from the timelines, what happens between there that's movie-worthy?

Andy

I thought it was a case of there being too much in the Hobbit for just one movie... Also, there could be more backstory in the LotR that relates to this period.

Drake

Since there's nothing in the way of a set story between, there should be less disappointment of screwing anything up with it.

Mara

I'm not really sure what the second one would do, besides just bridge the gap between the two novels (taking Lord of the Rings as one novel).

Perhaps Tolkien had some notes or something.

Drake

I'm not really sure what the second one would do, besides just bridge the gap between the two novels (taking Lord of the Rings as one novel).

That's what the article says. :p

Perhaps Tolkien had some notes or something.

Maybe. I think what happens between is written in the timelines in the LotR novels. I found this from a chronology online since my books are packed away somewhere.

2941 The Hobbit

- Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo joins the Dwarves' quest to retake the treasures of Erebor. Among his many adventures, Bilbo meets Gollum and finds the One Ring.

- Bard of Esgaroth slays Smaug the dragon with the aid of Bilbo. The Battle of the Five Armies—Men, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, and Eagles— is fought over Smaug's treasure. Thorin Oakenshield dies in battle, and Dain of the Iron Hills becomes King under the mountain.

- The White Council meets again and Saruman, hoping to keep Sauron from finding the One Ring, agrees to attack Dol Guldur. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur.

- Bilbo returns to the Shire and begins to write his memoirs, the first volume of the Red Book.

- Sauron returns to Mordor.

- Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes King. Gollum leaves the Mountains and begins his search for his "precious".

- Sauron openly declares his presence and gathers his forces and sends three Nazg?l to hold Dol Guldur. Gollum heads toward Mordor in his search.

- Last meeting of the White Council. Saruman fortifies Isengard and sets spies on Gandalf.

- Gandalf and Aragorn meet and become friends.

2957-80

- Aragorn undertakes many journeys and adventures. He serves both the king of Rohan and the Steward of Gondor, and protects the land of Eriador from the minions of Sauron.

- Aragorn enters Lorien and meets Arwen again. He gives her the ring of Barahir, and they promise to marry.

- Gollum reaches the confines Mordor. He is tortured, interrogated, and eventually "escapes." He then becomes acquainted with the great spider Shelob.

- Theoden becomes King of Rohan.

- Saruman risks using one of the seeing stones and is unknowingly enslaved to the will of Sauron.

Mara

Yeah...

I just hope it's done well, with all the time they need to cover.

CorSec

Nothing is movie worthy between the two novels. The easiest solution if they want a LotR-themed cash-in, would be turning Children of Hurin into a movie. Its a chunk of the Silmarillion already edited into a 'short', linear storyline.

Andy

Well, is there any more news on the Hobbit? IMDB lists it as a 2011 release.

Mara

I'm glad that it seems they're getting the same actors from Lord of the Rings to reprise their roles in The Hobbit. It just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Andy

'twould be a silly thing to do really.

Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM--4UklaL4

*excited*

Pandora

December?!?!?!?! *dies*

Mara

I loved An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug.

Got the expanded edition DVD of Journey for Christmas but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

The ending of Smaug was a bit abrupt, I thought. I was waiting for the film to keep going, haha. Silly Peter Jackson.

Now I really want to watch There and Back Again.

Princess

WHo else saw Stephen Colbert's cameo in Smaug?

Mara

Well, a few days ago it was announced that the third Hobbit film will NOT be There and Back Again, but it's been changed to The Battle of Five Armies. Link

While I'm kind of disappointed they didn't stick with There and Back Again... I do get their reasoning for the change.

Either way, it's bound to be epic.

Andy

Yeah, it does make sense. And The Hobbit: There and Back Again would be a pretty cool title for the trilogy boxset. :p

Mara

Except I already got the extended edition DVD for the first film and it'd be redundant for me to later get the set if there ever is one. :p

Andy

So, I finally watched the third Hobbit movie, and was kinda disappointed by the CG. A lot of the film seemed like video game cut-scenes to me. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.