Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Was Anakin's evolution into Darth Vader too fast?

Was his turn to the dark side rushed?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mara

So... what do you think? Some people think that his turn to the dark side happened way too quickly.

Do you agree? Does it happen suddenly and without reason?

Or... was it a perfect example of Darth Sidious's true powers of control and manipulation? If he had a reason, what was it?

When does he actually turn? When he goes off with Qui-Gon? When he falls in love with Padme? When he kills all the Tusken Raiders to try to save his mother? When he rushes to fight Dooku on Geonosis? Or maybe he doesn't turn until after he dreams about Padme's death and gets tangled more in Palpatine's web?

I've heard people on both sides of this, so discuss your own reasoning.

Personally... I think the plan was set in motion for his turn ever since as a boy he met Senator Palpatine in Episode I (or even before, depending on what exactly the teachings of Darth Plageius were and did).

Drake

I dunno. I don't think it was "rushed". I've heard some people say that Darth Plagueis was the "father" of Anakin and used his Force powers to conceive him. Perhaps he and Palpatine foresaw Anakin's path this whole time?

It's possible, anyway.

Edited by Drake

Mara

Yeah, that whole conversation with Sidious at the opera was interesting.

However, then there's also the stickiness of whether Anakin was really the chosen one (he brought balance to the Force when he deposed Palpy and redeemed himself) or not. (Or that he was indirectly, and he brought balance to the Force through his children).

Drake

Technically, he did bring balance to the Force, if you're thinking in strict numbers. He brought it down to 2 Sith and 2 Jedi, not including the later addition of more Jedi, in hiding, in the EU.

Mara

If that is the way there is balance in the Force.

But... we're getting off-topic, lol.

Whether or not it was started at his conception or when he was a child... I don't believe Anakin's turn was rushed. And there was a reason. For Anakin and for Palpy. The former being to save Padme, the latter being to take over the galaxy and "bring peace."

Drake

If that is the way there is balance in the Force.

But... we're getting off-topic, lol.

*shrugs* You brought it up.

And you don't have to be so strict with getting back on topic. A little tangent into related subjects can help to spice up a discussion. Besides, things usually get back on track.

Mara

Aye... but there is another topic that talks about the balance and prophecy. :p

Radioactive Isotope

it was a slow turn to the dark side with a few good leaps in that direction (ie, killing the Sand People). however, i think the final push was a bit rushed. one minute he's telling Mace that Palpy is a Sith, and the next he's killing Younglings. we really don't know what is going through his mind when he's sitting in the Council Room, but i think what happened, is the Palpy/Mace situation forced him to choose between his wife and the Jedi. and he chose Padme. there's a line in the ROTS novel where Obi-Wan mentions that Anakin is loyal to people and not necessarily the institutions they represent. he also mentions his misgivings about putting Anakin in a position to betray someone he considers a friend, because Palpatine "helped" Anakin when the Jedi "didn't." a very clever manipulation on Palpy's part.

Mara

Perhaps that part in the movie is what people are complaining about then, about the rushing.

I don't feel it is, though. Anakin had made lots of rash, quick decisions before. So I think this was just another of them.

Rouge77

I think the actual turn was a little too quick. It should have been a little more conflicted.

TheUnknown

I think it was something that was building. For one thing, you have the mixed signals Anakin was sent. In Ep. II, it's made clear that Anakin feels that Obi-Wan looks down in him to a large extent. This is exacerbated by Anakin being denied the rank of Jedi Master. At the same time, he's lauded as the Chosen One and a war hero. And don't forget, who strokes his ego? Palpatine: "You're the strongest Jedi I have ever met." So, you have one group that doesn't respect him and one that does. Think also have Anakin's response in Ep. I when Padme asks about him being a slave: "I'm a person, and my name is Anakin."

So, Anakin's turn hinges on idealism, pride, and love, three positive traits that were b******ized by Palpatine.

Edited by TheUnknown

Master Hayes

If you really break it down you can see he's doomed to fall in Ep.I. When he meets Qui-Gon and they're at the Skywalker home Anakin talks about dreaming he was a Jedi and coming back to free the slaves. That shows his desire for power, granted it's to do something good, but it's the wanting of power that starts him down the slippery slope of the Dark Side.

Princess

I don't think it was too fast. I think that the point of no return was killing the younglings at the Jedi Temple, however, you do see more of his downfall in the novels between Ep II and III.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.