Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Isotope

Emergency Preparedness

Radioactive Isotope

If you had 10 minutes to evacuate your home, could you get all the necessary supplies quickly and efficiently? Do you know where your important documents, pictures, food, water, clothing, and blankets are, and are they easy to get to? In recent years, the number of natural disasters has increased, and experts are expecting the trend to continue. Gas and food prices are on the rise, and many people are living on the edge. There is no doubt that we are living in turbulent economic, and political times, and the storms are coming--figuratively and literally. A little preparedness goes a long way, so here are some tips to get started:

* Have a two-week supply of water for drinking, cooking, and cleaning. Experts recommend 1 gallon per person per day. So that's 14 gallons a person for a two week period. Yes, that's a lot of water, but if you store a little at a time, it's manageable. Do not use milk jugs, as they are porous and will mold.

* Work up to a 90-day emergency cash fund, so if by chance you lose your job, you can have all your bills paid for 90 days. Again, save a little at a time, even if it's just a few dollars a paycheck. I know many people who have been saved by emergency cash funds when someone has been laid off.

* Pay off as much debt as you can, and avoid consumer debt. There are some necessary debts like education and housing, but don't take on more debt than you can afford payments on.

* Have a 3-month supply of non-perishable food. Again, get a little at a time and work up to it.

* Have an evacuation plan with a list of necessary supplies and where they are. And make sure to PRACTICE IT!

Do not rely on government aid, as we have seen in recent years, it is not reliable. Now is the time to prepare before the next earthquake/tornado/hurricane/wildfire, ect. For more information, ideas, and checklists, see these websites:

FEMA.gov

RedCross.org

Ready.org

ProvidentLiving.org

I posted this because I care about you all and want for you to be self-sufficient in your lives and not end up as another statistic when the next natrual disaster strikes.

TyranaRaptor

While that is funny, its pronounced lulz. Not lolz.

Andy

Uh oh... I wouldn't get sarcastic with Tsl. :nerves:

*leaps for cover*

Drake

While that is funny, its pronounced lulz. Not lolz.

QFT

lulz.jpg

Bad furday

You're-you're doing a heckuva job, JM! :p ;)

Tsl

Uh oh... I wouldn't get sarcastic with Tsl. :nerves:

*leaps for cover*

Why not!? Why not, huh!? Are you saying I'm crazy? Unstable? Insane? Violent?!!! *kills Beeurd*

:p :p :p :p :p

Andy

Dammit!

*walks in, in a new clone body*

That's what I get for trying to help! :p

Edited by beeurd

Jake Durron

Dude, my dad's social card is on the study floor next to some cds and my papers are in my car along with enough water and tea bottles to sink a battle ship... dunno where my lighter is though nevermind anything like food... we need to shop... BADLY

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.