Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Memorable scenes from the Saga

Mara

Out of all the six films, which scenes are your favorites? Are there some that just stick in your mind for one reason or another? Or perhaps there are still others that have an importance within the film and the whole saga.

Speak about your favorite scenes here. Or just about ones that impacted you emotionally in some way.

Andy

I said this in the other thread, but the final battle between Luke & Vader is AWESOME.

TheUnknown

Let's see:

Vader's death and the dialogue. Luke says, "I've got to save you," to which Vader responds, "You already have." It gets me every time.

The tragedy of Order 66.

The ferocious lightsaber fights between Vader and Obi-Wan and Yoda and Palpatine while "Battle of the Heroes" plays.

The podrace.

The lightsaber fight between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon while "Duel of the Fates" plays.

The scene where they're battling on Endor and the two Ewoks get blasted by a walker. One get's up and tries to revive the other, to no avail.

The first time we hear "The Imperial March."

Luke looking at the twin suns of Tatooine while "Binary Sunset" plays.

Zooming in on the japor snippet at Padme's funeral.

The victory party after the death of the emperor.

Drake

Basically all of the lightsaber fights in the prequel movies were very well done and I enjoy watching them all.

My favourite scene, though, would have to be the battle between Anakin/Obi-Wan and Palpatine/Yoda.

Andy

Which first time? :p

TheUnknown

Which first time? :p

The first time EVER. In TESB.

Mara

I have to agree about a few listed already...

A NEW HOPE:

-- Luke looking out into the binary sunset (one of my favorite from the soundtrack, as well):

It's the tell-tale sign of a dreamer who wants more to his life but yet knows he cannot go anywhere. I think it resonates a lot with others. Myself especially. I mean, most of us hope for a bigger and better, more exciting existence, at least at some moment in our life.

-- When Luke rushes off to "save" his uncle and aunt, but gets there too late, and the look on his face when he realizes so:

When he turns his face away from the carnage, this sticks out to me a lot. It's the big turning point in his life, in the story, where he ceases to be a farmboy and starts on his journey to Jedi knighthood.

-- The first time we see Darth Vader aboard the Tantive VI:

Again, just something memorable. I mean, it's Darth Vader. Especially since he stands out apart from the stark white ship and stormtroopers. You know that there is something evil and menacing beneath that mask.

-- The arrival at the cantina in Mos Eisley:

One, we all realize that there are more than humans in this galaxy; it's full of cool and intriguing alien species and beings.

Second, Obi-Wan demonstrates his training, igniting his lightsaber in public (something that could have been dangerous on a more populated planet closer to the Core) and saving Luke.

-- The Battle of Yavin:

I still think this is my favorite battle out of everything, including lightsaber battles. It's just a pivotal moment in the history of the Empire and the fledging rebels/New Republic. Yes, they had a lot to fight for yet, but it was a start.

Plus, I find it hugely exciting when you first see the X-wings come on the screen with the Yavin sun in the backdrop. You just KNOW something awesome is gonna happen.

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK:

-- When Luke goes to train on Dagobah with Yoda, taking a leap of faith:

Obviously he had misgivings about going there, but he wanted to follow what Obi-Wan told him, because he respected him. I think this is something memorable that could also resonate with the rest of us; I'm sure we've had times where we were unsure of something, but yet know we had to do it.

Luke is so anxious to start the training he figures he needs, that Obi-Wan can no longer give him. It's a great juxtapose against Yoda's misgivings about starting his training.

Plus, who can forget what happens in the tree cave? Luke finally has a glimmer of what he's in for, training in the Force. Something that I think becomes more powerful, after reading a lot of the EU material.

-- When Lando betrays Han and Leia to Darth Vader:

Who can forget that look of horror on Han's face, when he realizes his buddy Lando is just after credits, after all (to his knowledge)?

-- And, of course, the big carbonite scene:

This is probably one of the most memorable, and most quoted, scenes in all of the saga. And for good reason. And as much as I'm not really a fan of Han, it's still a bit heart-wrenching to watch Leia's face as she loses the love she just discovered she had for him a few days prior.

-- The first duel between Luke and Darth Vader, when Darth reveals the bitter truth:

So, so memorable. And probably one of my favorite scenes, as well. Luke goes diving in headfirst before he barely knows how to stroke, as it were, when he decides to face down Vader, as Yoda told him he would, but a lot sooner than he was ready for. And all because he wanted to save his friends.

Plus, I think this also when the Anakin part of Darth Vader begins to resurface, now that he is spending time with his son, a son he hadn't realized survived after the death of Padme. Especially once he lops off Luke's hand, realizing that they now share more than genes. But he buries the feelings, instead focusing on him and Luke ruling the galaxy (just as he had wanted with Padme decades before).

But Luke realizes how little he was ready for everything, but also that he can't be with his father, not yet wanted to face the fact of his parentage. So he leaps away.

RETURN OF THE JEDI:

-- When we first see Luke enter Jabba's palace:

Who can't help wanting to cheer when he walks in, shoving the Gamorrean guards aside? :p

Of course, a year or two or so has passed by and he's stronger in the Force. But as Yoda confirms later, he doesn't think of himself as a Knight yet, though he tells Jabba so.

-- Luke goes back to Dagobah/Yoda passes on into the Force:

Luke surprisingly learns that even though he left training early, no longer needs any more. Apparently he taught himself well, and learned a lot from dueling with Vader. Yoda is content with how Luke has transformed. There is no longer much left of his old farmboy self. He's grown.

Yoda passes on, always a sad moment, but we all know it would happen sooner or later, probably using the same techniques he taught Obi-Wan for communing with Qui-Gon.

And, speaking of, Obi-Wan appears to Luke one more time, to encourage him. And let him know about his twin sister. Something that he probably had an inkling of, perhaps already when he left Cloud City.

-- Brother and Sister:

Besides being a great score of music, Luke reveals what he must do, he must duel Vader, his own father. Leia is disgusted with it, and when Luke tells her of her own true parentage, she's not surprised. Maybe she also had an inkling after rescuing Luke.

I think it's memorable because I can just see the look on Leia's face: the horror that quickly changes to realization and then to a look of desperation. I admire Leia in this moment, seemingly to take this all in her stride, finding out her father's identity and that she has a brother. But, yet, she wants to cling to this, asking Luke not to go. Heart-wrenching.

Another great scene, I love it, the conflict in their eyes.

-- Luke and Darth fight again/Battle of Endor:

I have to lump these together, since they happen almost simultaneously.

The battle on the ground of the moon and the space battle above, is just exciting, as most battle scenes are wont to be. This is why it's memorable.

Plus, there's the big showdown between Luke and Darth Vader, probably the best lightsaber fight in the entire trilogy. (Sorry, Obi).

And everything leading up to it, the suspense could almost be cut with a knife, while Luke stares back and forth between the viewpoint, the Emperor, Darth, his weapon. You can almost feel the tension in the room.

It's just an awesome scene, especially when Vader taunts Luke with the knowledge of his sister that he takes from his not so hidden feelings and Luke goes all bloodthirsty, almost killing his father without thinking. He chops off his hand and then stops and looks at his own missing/replaced hand. And he stops, not giving into the dark side.

I love this moment in the movie, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Ahh.. heart strings. :p I think this is probably my favorite scene of all the previous ones listed.

-- Anakin's redemption:

This is probably my second-most favorite scene. Everything that has gone before in the last couple decades comes to fruition here, everything that Darth has been tormented with ever since he found out about Luke and later cut of his hand, all that has happened... the conflict that Luke knew about. It all comes to a head when Darth sacrifices himself for the life of his son, saving his own soul in the process.

One of the best moments in the entire saga.

Er, I didn't mean to be so long-winded, lol.

So I'll add my favorites from the prequels later. :p

Drake

So basically, the whole movies. :p

Mara

Nooo... just a few scenes. :p

Chickenman

The scene where they're battling on Endor and the two Ewoks get blasted by a walker. One get's up and tries to revive the other, to no avail.

That one always got me as a kid. :(

And Mara, your post reads like a film professor's lecture. :p

I'll post mine sometime.

Mara

Is that bad, or good? :p (did take some film classes in college)

James the Defender

The Cantina Band scene. The music is awesome and I love impressing all of my family members by pointing out names and species, lol.

Favorite scene would have to be Anakin/Obi-Wan and Palpy/Yoda in RotS...best sabre battles ever...however, Palpy and Yoda was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short

Mara

Both of those duels were failingly short.

Andy

Anakin vs Obi-Wan was short? :|

Mara

Yeah, I felt it lacked something. But perhaps my expectations of it were really high. :p

Obi-Wan totally owned Anakin the wonder boy too easily.

Edited by Mara

Drake

That's because Anakin gave-in to his emotions and used passion to guide his decisions. That also led to pride, which precedes the fall. The fall, in this case, being a loss of limbs, skin, and bodily functions. :p

Radioactive Isotope

*snerk*

Mara

Or maybe Anakin wasn't as good as he thought he was. ;)

James the Defender

ooh...she got ya there Drake :p

Drake

Not really. :p

Bad furday

It's not a memorable scene...but I suddenly realised that old GL himself destroyed a bit of continuity :p

Lando says for everyone to "evacuate Cloud City before more Imperial troops arrive", leading to chaos in the halls, and Ice Cream Man hurrying to his ship :p

Then, in the Special Editions, at the end of RotJ, we see an enormous crowd celebrating the fall of the Empire on a well populated Cloud City, complete with Twin Pod Cars and fireworks. :p

While in the Young Jedi Knights books, Cloud City is pretty much deserted, when the young Jedis ( the Punks! ;) ) go and ( and here I don't remember quite right) find Streen?

So...hmmm....and I suppose "Evacuate the city" meant "move back once we give the all clear signal!" :p

Drake

Remember that a year passed between ESB and RotJ. ;)

Mara

And once the Emperor was dead, there probably weren't many Imperial troops left on Bespin. ;)

Andy

I'm sure they didn't vanish immediately though. :p

Drake

Also, Streen was in another city that had been abandoned, called Tibannopolis (lol). It was Luke that found him there when searching for new Jedi to start the Academy.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.