Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

The Legacy of Darth Vader

Mara

Darth Vader is one of the most loved villains in cinematic history.

Why? Why do you think this is?

Do you think Vader's cold, murderous nature, and his sinister evil heart (or lack of) made him as famous as he is?

Or is it simply the suit?

Does that fact that he did have some good in him, was stuck in an internal struggle between right and wrong make him appealing? With the good coming out in the end?

What is about Darth Vader that you think gave him such the fanbase and legacy he has?

Discuss!

[borrowed from my friend Myke - thanks!]

Andy

My favourite Vader scenes are the battles between him and Luke...

Where first (ESB) he tries to get Luke to join him against the Empire, and then (RotJ) after that awesome battle he finally gives in and turns against the emperor.

Rouge77

I would say that Vader's success had three major ingredients: Suit, the voice and from ESB onwards the enigmatic backstory. Certainly the voice played a big part when I first encountered OT.

Drake

Yes. I was first drawn to the character because of the suit and voice. He was an emotionless and faceless enemy that you loved to hate. James Earl Jones' voice was just plain awesome.

Also, I like the fact that the entire Star Wars saga is really all about Vader. It's the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Mara

I agree...

I think one of the main reasons that Vader is so well- known around the world, even to people who have never seen Star Wars, is because his appearance is so unique (who else, villian-wise, has a giant black re-breather and cape?) and because he has such large presence whenever he enters a scene (when he's around, all other characters almost vanish) and also because he has so many good lines.

I mean, who hasn't spoked into a fan, saying "Luke, I am your father." :p

TheUnknown

How can anyone forget "the Imperial March"?

Drake

However, that wasn't originally in A New Hope, so it can't really be completely related to the character.

Radioactive Isotope

someone who obviously isn't geeky enough to get the quote right. :p

Andy

someone who obviously isn't geeky enough to get the quote right. :p

:lol: Nice :p

Mara

Dude, that was when I was a kid, and hadn't seen the movie. :p

My point is that, even if you have never seen any of the films in the Star Wars saga, you still know who Darth Vader is. He just transcends everything. And everyone knows who he is.

Radioactive Isotope

that's still no excuse. :p

but yes, Vader is my favorite villan of all time. he is undoubtably evil, and yet in the end regains his humanity. there really aren't that many bad guys that have that level of complexity.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.