Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Attention, one and all...

Andy

Hey there guys,

I guess most of you have been wondering what the announcement all over the forums is all about.

Well, you may have noticed (staff especially, seeing as I bith about it all the time) that for some time GB hasn't been as busy as it used to be. It has picked up again recently, which is good, but I think now that the Star Wars prequels are finished that traffic isn't going to peak again any time soon.

Therefore I have decided to revisit an old plan I had a couple years (when I originally created the Alternate Realms category) ago to diversify, and open up GB for more sci-fi/fantasy fans. Star Wars alone is quite a popular subject (with a Google search for "star wars forums" producing over 1.6 million results). And yes, this is why I posted the most recent Weekly Poll.

I don't doubt that it will be difficult to establish GB as a more open place for fandoms, but I hope that it will allow for a wider topic range and encourage more people to join.

I understand if some of you are unsure of this plan, but I am fairly sure I will go ahead with it. I also want to put more of an emphasis on fan fiction and fan art, and roleplaying - and organising that better too.

I considered changing the name, but as Galactic Basic is quite a good name, as well as being unique and established, I have extended galacticbasic.net for an extra 2 years (taking us up to 2011) and registered galacticbasic.com as well.

I am not sure how I am going about this. One way I considered doing this was to wipe the boards clean and start again... But I'm not sure that would be ultimatly beneficial to the site; or fair on you guys who have been here since time immemorial. I am considering a shake-up of the staff too though, with more Forum Moderators than Global Moderators.

Of course, I am more than willing to hear your comments, suggestions, and criticisms.

Andy. :)

Edited by Andy

Rogue

You have my full support. I'll help in any way I can. Just let me know, okay?

Edited by Rogue

Andy

Well, I like money.

( I'm joking :p )

Jake Durron

No you're not... *huggles* I think it sounds like a good idea, whatever you can use me for let me know!

Pandora

SAWEET! If you need help, just ask. Monetary aid will be available after I get back from vacation (if I don't put myself in the poor house). Until I recover from that (lol) I can certainly help with brainwork if you need it.

rpm285sm

Hmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you just said I'll soon have more dirty girls to play with in the IC. That right? I'm definately in favor of that...

One of these days you're going to ban me and I'm going to deserve it : p

Bad furday

Sounds great! ( the opening it up to other fandoms, as well as the dirty girls bit ;) ) I think we'll get more members this way, as it won't be exclusively star wars.

Ayingel

is there going to be a screening/application process at all for protected forums?

Mara

Sounds good... (the non-wiping of the forum :p)

I'm here to help in any way I can, as well. : )

hhawk

I am also here to asist you in any way! Just letme know! I dont have any $ though

Drake

I think this is a great idea. You've heard some of my suggestions already and I'm always around for whatever you need, boss!

Let's see, what else...

Uhh, we should all work out what our major fandom forums are going to be. For example...Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, CSI, Anime/Cartoons, Superheroes, Reality TV, etc. Find out how popular something is and all that. Maybe group a few together if something's not big enough on its own.

Winters

It would be nice to diversify, but the problem is that we'll need to pay particular attention for flaming of other fandoms...espically the whole SW vs. ST stuff *shudders*, Star Trek...

Radioactive Isotope

yeah, and Drake had to go and get Trekkie torture banned. *grumble* :p

i like the ideas, beeurd. i think it's great to widen the scope a bit. i dunno how you were planning on doing the fanfic section, but it might be a good idea to have a separate forum for each of the popular fandoms. and then maybe another one for "serious" type writing. with as many of us already that enjoy writing, one forum for everything is probably going to get crowded fast. i'd be happy to help shuffle things around when you get the forums set up.

Drake

It would be nice to diversify, but the problem is that we'll need to pay particular attention for flaming of other fandoms...espically the whole SW vs. ST stuff *shudders*, Star Trek...

yeah, and Drake had to go and get Trekkie torture banned. *grumble* :p

My reforms have brought peace and stability to this great forum. I assure you, the hammer of my justice will be brought swiftly to those who disrupt the laws. And watch what you say. My love of Star Trek overshadows that of Star Wars.

i like the ideas, beeurd. i think it's great to widen the scope a bit. i dunno how you were planning on doing the fanfic section, but it might be a good idea to have a separate forum for each of the popular fandoms. and then maybe another one for "serious" type writing. with as many of us already that enjoy writing, one forum for everything is probably going to get crowded fast. i'd be happy to help shuffle things around when you get the forums set up.

That's one of the suggestions I made to him last week. That way, the exsisting GB forums can be kept intact.

Radioactive Isotope

And watch what you say. My love of Star Trek overshadows that of Star Wars.

*gasp* BLASPHEMY!!!! *bans* :p

Drake

*counterbans*

Okay, I wouldn't say it overshadows it. I love them equally in different ways. I was a fan of Trek looong before Star Wars and I have a strong loyalty to it.

Edited by Drake

Rogue

Look, let's not judge Drake solely on his mistakes :p

Andy

what else have we got to go on? :p

Winters

I'd like to help for PC games... since I'm a PC gamer...

Mara

I think this is a great idea. You've heard some of my suggestions already and I'm always around for whatever you need, boss!

Let's see, what else...

Uhh, we should all work out what our major fandom forums are going to be. For example...Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, CSI, Anime/Cartoons, Superheroes, Reality TV, etc. Find out how popular something is and all that. Maybe group a few together if something's not big enough on its own.

I have some ideas.. but it all depends on whether you want to bunch Star Wars in with all the other fandoms. Or still keep it separate....

I would think we would have to push it "down" in a way... to keep everything fairly equal. Perhaps divide up between movies, television, books, etc.

Or divide it with the fandoms, which is probably a better idea..

Either way...

Galactic Sentate

-- etc...

Community

-- Spaceport

-- Fan Creations

----- xn ....probably add in board here for each kind of fandom fan fic, along with one for regular works

-- Roleplaying

"Untitled category" (Sci-fi fandoms)

-- Star Wars

----- Movies and Television [since the TV shows will be out eventually]

----- Books and Expanded Universe

----- Games

----- Misc.

-- Star Trek

----- Movies

----- Television

----- Books or Misc.

-- Stargate

"Untitled category" (Fantasy Fandoms )

-- Lord of the Rings

----- Movies

----- Books

Untitled category" (television fandoms)

-- Comedies

-- Dramas

----- CSI

-- Anime

-- Harry Potter

------ Movies

------ Books

Untitled category (gaming fandoms)

-- Final Fantasy

Hosted

-- etc....

The Archives

-- etc...

Just a sketch, really.... Not all would need "sub-forums" and all... it would depend on the discussion involved.

I hope it makes sense?

Edited by Mara

Andy

I think i know what you mean...

BTW, if anyone else has any ideas for a category/forum structure, don't be afraid to post :p

Mara

Okay, cools.

Just ask if you have any questions, though. : )

I'm not sure how far this software lets you do "sub" boards/forums...

And depending how much you extend the Roleplaying, it could get its own category...

Andy

Okay, cools.

Just ask if you have any questions, though. : )

I'm not sure how far this software lets you do "sub" boards/forums...

And depending how much you extend the Roleplaying, it could get its own category...

Yes, we have sub-forums... :p

There's even a sub-sub-forum somewhere. lol

Rogue

Sub Forums are a perfect way to organize everything nice and neatly. Especially the Fanfiction forum, which seems to be everyone's main organizational problem. That you can organize into subforums based on the type (Fanfiction/ Fanart/Misc) or based on fandom. Either way subforums save lives :p

I still think we should bring in one or two fandoms to start, instead of overwhelming ourselves with several. Also, keep in mind that since the Prequels died out, so has our member count. The same thing will work with everything else, so you'll want to bring in something that's still ongoing.

Drake

When you think about it, though, Star Wars is still ongoing. Once the TV series' come out, the fans will come out to play. Same with Star Trek and the new movie coming at the end of the year.