Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Earth Hour

Drake

http://www.earthhour.org/

My dad mentioned this to me today. March 29 (Sat.) at 8pm, people around the world will be turning off their lights for one hour to help raise awareness on climate change and energy conservation. Last year, this was held in Sydney, Australia where 2.2 million people switched their lights off and reduced the energy consumption of Australia by 10% and stopped a whopping 250 000 tonnes of carbon emissions from being produced!

Imagine how much a wave of darkness sweeping across the planet would save.

Now, it's only officially planned for 20 major world cities but every household can make a difference. So tell your family and friends to turn off their lights from 8-9pm (for every timezone) on March 29th!

Mara

Just lights, or all electricity? 'Cause THAT would really make a difference...

But I could never get my dad to turn his computer off. :p

Drake

Well yeah, as many electronic devices that you can live without for a whole hour. Maybe just trip the breaker or something. :p

Mara

Haha... The breaker box has faded labels. :p

Drake

So switch them all off. Use less power. :p

Mara

Yeah.... and then call the police to find my mutilated body because my dad couldn't watch his sports. :p

Radioactive Isotope

at least you would have helped conserve energy.

Drake

You would die for a good cause.

You would be a hero.

:p

Andy

Yeah, and imagine the extra load on the power plants when everybody turns them all back on at the same time after an hour... Which would pretty much cancel out the savings :p

Bad furday

*gives B the Voice of Reason Award* :D :p

Drake

Yeah, and imagine the extra load on the power plants when everybody turns them all back on at the same time after an hour... Which would pretty much cancel out the savings :p

My dad actually works at the nuclear power station near where I live and he says that the power regulation process is all automated and won't be affected.

Edited by Drake

Mara

You would die for a good cause.

You would be a hero.

:p

Well, in that case... :p

Andy

My dad actually works at the nuclear power station near where I live and he says that the power regulation process is all automated and won't be affected.

Nuclear plants are more efficient, and are very low on pollution anyways because they don't burn fossil fuels. :p

Drake

That they are. I would also imagine (or hope) that the computer systems regulating the flow of energy in all the other power stations would be similar to those in nuclear plants since that part is the same regardless of the differences in how that energy got there.

Andy

That they are. I would also imagine (or hope) that the computer systems regulating the flow of energy in all the other power stations would be similar to those in nuclear plants since that part is the same regardless of the differences in how that energy got there.

I dunno, it's been a while but we learnt about power plants, but I believe that the cool-down and warm-up times for power generation would eat up most of that hour anyways, given the age (and therefore lower-tech) of the majority of plants.

However, the real idea behind Earth Hour is to show that it's possible to save this power - possibly inspiring peopel to cut down their usage long-term. ;)

Bad furday

I suppose I could be away from GB for an hour...:p ;)

Mara

Are you even ever here for more than a hour? :p

Aurelius

Hey, it's actually quite cool seeing all the lights off in the city. Although people get a little bit crazy! And hey I even left my lights on at home just in case you guys missed me :p

Drake

This year's Earth Hour was on Saturday. My dad said that they had to shut down one of the nuclear reactors at his work because they were making too much power. :p

Mara

I kind of forgot about it.

Maybe that's why we lost power for an hour and a half Sunday night. :p

Andy

I didn't know anything about it again. :roll:

But I'm annoyed at the moment because they only seem to sell energy saving lightbulbs these days; and I think the only reason they save energy is because they are about as bright as a friggin candle. :mad:

Edited by Andy

Tsl

those spirally ones? They kinda start off darker, but they brighten up once they warm up. I think they're like fluorescent, aren't they?

Andy

Well mine aren't spirally, but I guess they are the same... They seem to take ages to warm up though... and they just aren't as bright as normal bulbs anyway. I'm saving up old bulbs we have that still work, for the living room, cos its a really dark room and the stupid bulbs will be rubbish lol

Drake

I find that the fluorescent power-saving bulbs are brighter than the incandescent ones. Maybe the UK doesn't care about energy efficiency enough. :p

Andy

Well the ones I have don't seem to be as bright as a standard 60W bulb... And I can't find any that are equivalent to a 100W bulb, which is what we prefer to use in our darker rooms. Guess we'll have to install more light fittings and use more bulbs! :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.