Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Winters

Names

Winters

Greetings everyone,

How do you come up with names for characters? I'm usually able to do most things, particuarlly funny dialouge, but I'm bad at coming up with names.

What do you think I should do?

Andy

I look for cool names in real life and edit them abit. For last names, I usually either borrow a last name of an existing character or take one and change the spelling.

Just like, fins a name you like, and try fiddling with it til you get something that sounds cool.

Another thing you can do with importantish characters is find a word that describes an aspect of their personality, and try to incorporate that into their name or create the name from it.

Mara

Aye.

I usually make up a name and/or change a regular name.

Radioactive Isotope

i do a couple things. if i come across a cool word or name in a book i'm reading, i write it in a notebook i have laying around somewhere for later. i got a TON of names from the Dune series when i read it. i also like to browse baby name sites if i know of a certain trait or quirk a character is going to have, or i'm looking for an exotic name. babynames.com is a good site because it will let you search by the meaning of a name, nationality, as well as the name itself.

Mara

I got some names from Dune, too, haha...

Babynames.com rocks.. I use it all the time for work.

Check out their Tips.

Winters

I love that... This is going to be GREAT!

Andy

Babynames.com rocks.. I use it all the time for work.

Check out their Tips.

Ooh, *steals*

I also use this occasionally:

http://www.behindthename.com/usage.php

I have a strange fondness for Welsh names... lol

Tip 5: Parents rarely use their kids' full names

When writing your story, be aware that parents rarely call their children by their full names--unless they are admonishing them for bad behavior or testifying in court. If you have loving parent characters that are addressing their kids, use a nick name or term of endearment. An exception to this would be if you want to show the parent character being cold and distant to their child.

Tsk. Mine do all the time. :p

Edited by Andy

Radioactive Isotope

the only purpose of a middle name is to see how much trouble you're in. :p

Mara

Very true. :p

And you're welcome for the link.

Winters

I could proclaim my love and all that, but we all know it'll end in tears... espically on my side...

Mara

Oh... probably. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.