Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Ayingel

35 W in Minneapolis Collapses

Ayingel

WCCO's Coverage

MSNBC

CNN

At least 50 cars were involved (there may be more under the bridge), confirmed deaths, no one knows how it happened yet...it was right by the Lock and Dam (10 yards away). This was right by the University of Minnesota...I use to take that way to work to avoid some of the traffic...there was also traffic to the Twin's game, and this will cause problems to get to the new stadium ground-breaking tomorrow (which I think is on University >.<)

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/13382...1338438-t3.html

a picture someone was able to take from the lock...

Edited by Ayingel

Mara

Eek. :/

Ayingel

well...this was built in the "old days" :p...1967...one of the older bridges...it's just down the river from a bridge that was built 100 years before it and that one is still working very well

Radioactive Isotope

yeah, i saw that on the news. scary.

Andy

lol, I hope they went back to engineering school. :p

British bridges are the best, obviously.

Near where I live there is the worlds first cast-iron bridge, built in 1779... So famous the town is now called Ironbridge.

And this is a pretty amazing Victorian-era railway bridge, in Scotland:

ScoForthBrgSideVw3815.jpg

And lets not forget the worlds tallest bridge...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4091813.stm

It might be in France, but it was designed in the UK. :p

Edited by Andy

Mara

I'd prefer a concrete bridge over a suspension bridge any day. Going over the Mac just creeps me out. :p

Ayingel

well, there was an inspection of the bridge nine months ago and they said that it only had some minor stuff that wouldn't cause a shut down of the bridge. the work that was being done was only on the road surface, not on the bridge itself. it was built the way it was because that is a narrower part of the river and the barges need to get through there.

they're lowering the water on the lock side of the river so that they can get to the four cars they've identified aren't a hazard to get to, but they haven't been able to get to them all day because of the currents and not being able to see.

Local news coverage...also shows the video of the collapse as viewed from the lock and dam

Another local station...however, this station pissed me off by playing a recoding of one of the kids on the bus screaming into the phone on an answering machine to her mother...i just couldn't listen to it...

Another

Princess

I'd prefer a concrete bridge over a suspension bridge any day. Going over the Mac just creeps me out. :p

My family and I went over the Mac one day and a few hours later it was shut down because a car blew off of it

Mara

Usually it's shut down when the winds reach a certain level... It should have be closed before that happened. Oh, well.

Princess

Well, that was the day that Hurricane Hugo made landfall. We were camping in Detour, and it was 80 when we set up our tent. It snowed that night

Andy

The incident has prompted the UK government to order a review of all major bridges in the country.

Over 17,000 of them... none of them are of a similar design (truss girder) to the one that collapsed in Minnesota.

Ironically, They reckon that the older bridges are least likely to need work, as they were often over-engineered to ensure they wouldn't collapse, but more modern ones may need strengthening.

Articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6929574.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6929777.stm

Radioactive Isotope

:mad: that is so not right.

Edited by Pirate King

Uncle Du

I cannot wait till that dude dies and finds out how wrong he's been. Sure would like to help him on his way to enlightenment too.

ImSarah

I was at the beach when this happened, and I remember at first when they said that like nine people were confirmed dead and then a few days later they said that three were confirmed dead. That never made too much sense to me.

I'm really not surprised that the church from Kansas is protesting this too, I think they protest any funerals due to American tragedies.

Radioactive Isotope

protesting funerals is just wrong. i don't care if they died in some kind of Satanic animal sacrificing ritual, their families deserve to be able to grieve in peace.

Ayingel

...i'm tempted to go down there and protest their protest.

so uh...anyone up for an assassination? they have no right to say that last part...especially the little last thing about hating my ewoking state. so does that mean God hates canada?

Andy

Well, in theory if everybody is right then god hates everyone. What a nerfherder. :p

Edited by Andy

TheUnknown

I wonder, iff a tornado (remember Kansas is in tornado alley) were to blow through and destroy his home and church, would he then say god is punishing his church?

Andy

I'm sure he'd find some way to blame pagans or something for causing it to happen.

Ayingel

one year ago today.. a couple of different perspectives on the bridge collapse one year later...luckily the new bridge is almost finished...and should be done way before Christmas

Edited by beeurd
link removed due to dodgyness

Chickenman

Good news.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.