Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Galactic Basic Voice Chat

Drake

So Ayingel has generously supplied a vent server for GB to have their own voice chat server! Woohoo!

To download Ventrilo, go here.

Okay, for those who don't know how to work Ventrilo, first you'll obviously need to download it from the above site. Next, you will be presented with a small window with User Name, Server, and Bindings drop-down boxes at the top, then a big empty box, which will show the channels and users and crap once you log into the server. To the right you'll see a column of buttons: Connect, Comment, Chat, Setup, etc...

Get started by clicking on the little arrow button [->] next to User Name at the top and make a new name for yourself. Write it out phoenetically and play with it so that it sounds like your name because when you sign in, everyone will be announced of your glorious arrival! However, in order to get onto the specific server, you'll need to click on the arrow next to the Server drop-down box. In that window, you will create a new name for the server. It doesn't matter what you name it. I named this one "GB". Then you will fill out the information below in the IP, Port and Password fields:

Hostname or IP: 206.53.62.56

Port#: 4214

Password: bleeding

GB channel password: gb

Click okay but before you click Connect, go into Setup, from the buttons to the right, and make sure that the Click-to-Talk option is selected. Then go down where it says Hotkey and select a button that you will push in order to talk to everyone else on the server.

I think that's everything you need. Make sure your speakers and mic work then click Connect!

Once in, you'll see a list of channels and anybody online in those channels. This one will have a Galactic Basic channel that has a red - next to it...that means you need a password for it. Double click on the channel and then enter the "gb" password and click Ok.

At last, you'll be in the channel and able to talk to all of us other freaks!

Edited by Drake

Mara

It'd be cool.. and some other forums have something like that....

But I have no microphone, so it's not really up to me.

Rogue

You can easily get a microphone at bestbuy or circuit city. They're not that expensive.

When I first started using teamspeak I was amazed to discover that my laptop had one built in.

And I'll gladly make a paypal if people are willing to contribute. Everyone would be welcome of course, snd it's a great way to actually talk to eachother without giving out personal information (not like most of us don't already know it...thst's right, I'm watching you *cackles*)

Also makes story-plotting a cinch!

Mara

Yeah, but I'd also need an internet connection on my computer as well. :p

And I know it's cool and all... but as for story plotting... you have to be online anyway, so isn't just a MSN party just as easy?

Especially if, forbid it! :p, people can sometimes speak on top of each other/interrupt. But on, say, a IM program, it's easier to get everyone's point across.

But if it's just for idle chat, I think it would work out great. Another forum I'm on has a voice chat, and I think it works fine, though I never installed the software. What's the point of listening when you can't talk in it? :p

Edited by Mara

Drake

But if it's just for idle chat, I think it would work out great. Another forum I'm on has a voice chat, and I think it works fine, though I never installed the software. What's the point of listening when you can't talk in it? :p

It's easier to listen without talking if you're playing an online game like WoW because you have the written chat to fall back on. This would be a step forward for the forum, I think. No longer will we be held back and distracted in our writing of posts by the annoying temptation to keep reading those crazy group MSN convos!

:p

Mara

It's easier to listen without talking if you're playing an online game like WoW because you have the written chat to fall back on. This would be a step forward for the forum, I think. No longer will we be held back and distracted in our writing of posts by the annoying temptation to keep reading those crazy group MSN convos!

:p

Right.... :p

Rogue

An extremely valid point! Then I could talk and draw at the same time :p

Pandora

...and I could talk and do my homework at the same time, lol.

The only problem I have is the paypal thing. I've been phished on there before.

Jake Durron

well I'm willing to contribute... but it will have to wait just a teensy tiny bit so I can get out of the 46 dollar hole I'm in with my bank and the 225 dollars I owe my dad... I hate being unemployed and having doctors/bills to pay >.<

Drake

Well, like I said, it's 7 bucks a month and if everyone else chips in a buck every few months to the person paying for it, then it should be cool. There's enough of us to handle it, I think.

Rogue

Exactly. So if everybody's game I'll set it up tonight. I don't mind managing it if everyone helps out a bit.

Jake Durron

that works, I'll paypal in a few weeks?

Ayingel

well, i already have a vent server that i'm paying $14 a month for 15 people to be on...

and it's hardly used...so, we're free to use it...

everything is set up!

Ventrilo:

Hostname or IP: 206.53.62.56

Port#: 4214

Password: bleeding

GB channel password: gb

Drake

OMG I'm talking to you crazy people! :eek:

Ayingel

two more crazy people just showed up at the apartment, so it might get even more interesting. and if someone named Natedawg tries getting on the server, you are completely allowed to harrass him.

Drake

Okay, for those who don't know how to work Ventrilo, first you'll obviously need to download it from the website I provided in the first post of this thread. Next, you will be presented with a small window with User Name, Server, and Bindings drop-down boxes at the top, then a big empty box, which will show the channels and users and crap once you log into the server. To the right you'll see a column of buttons: Connect, Comment, Chat, Setup, etc...

Get started by clicking on the little arrow button [->] next to User Name at the top and make a new name for yourself. Write it out phoenetically and play with it so that it sounds like your name because when you sign in, everyone will be announced of your glorious arrival! However, in order to get onto the specific server, you'll need to click on the arrow next to the Server drop-down box. In that window, you will create a new name for the server. It doesn't matter what you name it. I named this one "GB". Then you will fill out the information that Ayingel supplied above in the IP, Port and Password fields.

Click okay but before you click Connect, go into Setup, from the buttons to the right, and make sure that the Click-to-Talk option is selected. Then go down where it says Hotkey and select a button that you will push in order to talk to everyone else on the server.

I think that's everything you need. Make sure your speakers and mic work then click Connect!

Once in, you'll see a list of channels and anybody online in those channels. This one will have a Galactic Basic channel that has a red - next to it...that means you need a password for it. Double click on the channel and then enter the "gb" password and click Ok.

At last, you'll be in the channel and able to talk to all of us other freaks!

Ayingel

and, if needed, i can set up sub channels within the gb channel and we can have rooms for more...adult...chat...but that's left up to discretion...

Drake

Might be good to have a couple extra channels and, yes, an adult channel...although the main channel will probably go that way anyway. :p

Mara

Doesn't everything go that way? :p

Rogue

woot! I'm in ^^

Mara

Well, y'all have fun. :p

I suppose it'll be lonely on MSN now. :p

Drake

Or...get a mic! :p

Mara

And use it where? On my computer without internet? :p

Drake

Ah right...you only have internet at work. Carry on then!

Mara

Well, we have internet on the main computer, but it's dial-up and my dad is always on it anyway. If I want to use it, it'd have to be late at night or early morning or something before I go to work.

But there's no way I could get a mic on that computer, lol. :p