Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Pandora

Debate Table

Pandora

Okay, here's a surprising topic:

"Ladies and gentlemen... we got him."

What are your thoughts on Saddam's capture? ONLY his capture! (we'll discuss his fate later)

Edited by TheUnknown

GI_Admiral

There's really nothing to discuss in this topic...everyone should be either happy or sad.

Let's go to his fate :p

Pandora

But let's talk about WHY people are happy or sad!

GI_Admiral

Disgusted-Should have fought to end

Sad-End of a revolutionist who stood up to the US Empire

Happy-War is near end, criminal going to get punished for all his crimes, hopefully end of violence and return of troops.

Andy

I'm dissapointed that they caught him too... He should have shot himself.

Sticks

They picked a bad time to catch him if Bush wants to stay in office...elections are still 11 months away, so if they could'a timed his capture a little better Bush might have a better chance of getting re-elected, not that I really care though...

It's good they caught him finally, I guess...although how do you think the rest of Iraq is going to react to this? Will it allow some of our troops to come home, or will they retaliate and rebel against us even more? Tis all so unpredictable... :roll:

Pandora

Actually, it's extremely predictable, and let me tell you why:

One, in Bush's address yesterday around noon est, he said it's NOT the end to fighting yet, and that we've till got to be patient, but the end's coming, and Saddam is NEVER getting back in power EVER again.

Proof: about four minutes after his speach ended, a car bomb went off in the middle of Baghdad (outside the green zone).

Yes, we have to worry about retaliation from Saddam's old loyalists. But now there's no point to their resistance, and EVENTUALLY they'll get the picture.

An early prediction: there will be dancing in the streets when saddam is gone.

Proof: There was dancing in the streets of Iraq yesterday after the confirmation and announcement that his trial will be held publically in Iraq.

Sticks

Saddam will most definitely never get back in power...

Wonder why he didn't kill himself rather than be captured...if I was in his position that's what I would've done, and that's what nearly everyone predicted would happen...perhaps he was too coward.

Pandora

BINGO!!!

Princess

Apparently the soilders were going to throw a gernade down the hall when they pulled the lid off and he stopped them and spoke to them in English. I'm just glad that they got the tyrant and that he can now be put on trial for his crimes against humanity

Sticks

We can get a lot of helpful information out of him, too, hopefully

Princess

Well he's being sarcastic and defiant. Imagine that

Sticks

*rolls eyes* sounds like my kinda man :p

Pandora

eew.

I didn't know he was born in 1937. He's OLD.

TheUnknown

Again, sounds like Sticks' kind of man. :p

Princess

Harsh

chozen

I'm just glad that they got the tyrant and that he can now be put on trial for his crimes against humanity

I don't want to cause controversy...... Well I do actually. But do the words innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you?

The media for far too long has portrayed Saddam Hussein as a vial evil man, which he probably is, but there is still some chance that he hasn't done what people have accused him off. Okay there's evidence that he did sign the order for deaths of thousands of people. But remember his judgment is for the trial to decide and not yours. They may find him innocent.. Highly unlikely but still possible. Don?t keep a closed mind.

I believe Saddam Hussein will be found guilty of acts of slaughtering his people and also blatant disobedience of human right acts. He is an evil man who bombed his own people but cannot see the comparison to George Walker Bush. It is stupid and ignorant when people make statues of Bush and pull them down in a mock very of the tearing down of Saddam's statue in Iraq. Bush may be a nerfherder corrupt dictator whose whole political party is based on keeping the rich, rich and the poor, poorer.. Keeping society as the same and not making it better.

Following on...

I'm not sure if having the court in Iraq is such a good idea. Iraqis courts, under the Baht Party leadership totally corrupted the courts... Actually under Saddam Hussein?s rule there was no need for courts. You were shot if you hated Saddam, you lived if you followed in line. I believe though that Saddam should be tried by a fair international court appointed by the UN. It would be unfair for it to be a court appointed by the provisional government because the government already believes Saddam should be shot. A blatant misuse of civil rights.

Another not:

Many people hate Saddam for the things that he's done but only because programs like South Park and our piers tell us to. There are so many other dictators who constantly abuse human and civil rights. Actually it still happens in our countries that we live in. Racism and Segregation still exist in today?s world. As much as some of us would like to believe it wasn't happening. Anyway, many of you hate him for bombing his own people. Mainly Kurdish people and Shiat Muslims. Although still as I see in theology threads that people are so quick to judge over religions... This belief crosses with religious arguments.. To say that I believe that a certain religion is wrong is minor compared to what Saddam Hussein did.. But still his acts, or his political party's acts, were based on a more prejudicial form of this religious belief.

In the countries that we live in newspapers constantly bombard us with misleading facts. It is proven that more and more Americans fear Muslim countries and Muslim people for the belief that they have the risk to be a terrorist. From extracts that I?ve seen from the American newspapers I believe that this is the cause of the small scale, yet still blatant paranoia.

So just to remind you people... Not that you need it because your star wars fans.. So that means your blatant intellectuals: Don't take all that you see, read and hear about for granted and remember not to question what even your own political party takes for granted.

Peace out,

Tell me how much of an idiot I am and how what I said was total crap ASAP

Ender

*Laughs*

You're telling ME to not have a closed mind... especially about someone like Saddam??? *Bursts out laughing* ;)

Pandora

Innocent until proven guilty? Hmm...

Personally, I hate that. I truely believe it should be the other way. If it were, a bunch of criminals wouldn't go unpunished. But besides, the Iraqis will deside his fate, as far as I know, unless they bring in some kind of international tribunal, which I think would the MOST idiotic thing in this situation.

GI_Admiral

Innocent until Proven guilty is only in the US, all the other countries int he world are Guilty until proven innocent.

Some of Saddams loyalists might realize that he isn't coming back and so they won't be punished and they will stop. But many won't becuase they believe that what they are doing is right. They believe in a belief not in a man.

Pod, You're predictions are correct because they already happened :p

And I agree with Sticks, he should have killed himself, not because I want to see him dead but because its the most logical choice in that situation.

And about the court ruling...it is hardly going to be a fair trial so basically all the Iraqis will decide is to kill or to lock away.

Oh and Chozen, you're an idiot and what you said was total crap

Princess

GI that's a flame. Watch it

Andy

Innocent until Proven guilty is only in the US, all the other countries int he world are Guilty until proven innocent.

You got that wrong.

It's innocent until proven guilty here too, always has been (well, longer than the US has been around, I think). Remember that the US constitution was based off ours.

Scotland is guilty until proven innocent though.

Sticks

Chozen, a lot of what you said is true, the media here in the US may blow this way out of proportion, but even so, he deserves death of life imprisonment. Even if not everything is true that we hear about over here, the gist of it is.

I believe it should be innocent until proven guilty, that way it's harder for the innocent to be put away, but that does work both ways and the guilty might be found innocent because of unsufficient evidence. Guilty until proven innocent is flawed also in the fact that it's easy to put innocent people without alibis away in prison...but guilty people have a better chance of going to jail...

Ender

Scotland is guilty until proven innocent though.

We do start everything, dont we... :p

chozen

Even if not everything is true that we hear about over here, the gist of it is.

Yes and I?m not saying that he never did it.. I believe that he did sign for order for all those homicides. And he should be sentenced for it. Just let it be a fair trial so no one can criticize anyone for it, because believe me they will.

Oh and Chozen, you're an idiot and what you said was total crap

That's your opinion but you never read what I said carefully enough.. You just skimmed through it. If you read it properly you would have known that I said/implying: Saddam probably did do it, but it's not anyone but the court's decision to convict and decide.

You can all call him a murderer until your blue in the face but if the court finds him innocent then it matters very little.

which I think would the MOST idiotic thing in this situation.

Iraq is not equipped with the experience or lawyers to commit him, aside the ones in exile but they hate Saddam so it would be unfair for them to trial him. An un-biased international court is the only free way to do so.

You're telling ME to not have a closed mind... especially about someone like Saddam???

Wow.. That was one of the most idiotic things you've ever said. SO far you've only heard the media's side of the story. You need to hear all the sides of the story before you can make a fair 'open minded' decision.