Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Virginia Tech School Shooting

Drake

Will it ever end?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266310,00.html

It's been all over the news all day. Last I saw on the news, there were 33 dead, including the shooter, making this the worst school shooting in US history. I hate to say it, but this sort of thing is gradually making people more and more desensitized whenever another shooting takes place. Watching the news, it seemed no where near as terrible as the Columbine shooting even though there are far more students dead.

It's a sad day for all.

Mara

Yes, indeed.

It seemed to get worse as the hours went by...

Edited by Mara

Princess

The school really dropped the ball there by not locking down

Radioactive Isotope

how horrible. it's so sad that schools are no longer safe places to learn.

Ender

I've got a friend who goes to VT. He decided to skip his classes today.

Y'know, now that I think of it, Tony's always had really good timing.

Ayingel

wow...i didn't know that happened yesterday. wow.

Mara

Well, they released the name of the guy...

Apparently he was upset at all the rich students or something? Crazy.

Princess

I want to know how someone, who to my understanding, isn't a US citizen, was able to purchase 2 semiautomatic handguns.

Ayingel

i don't know...

here are some really moving pictures of the vigil today:

Vigil

Edited by Beloved

Radioactive Isotope

last i heard, he was here legally

Chickenman

I want to know how someone, who to my understanding, isn't a US citizen, was able to purchase 2 semiautomatic handguns.

Probably not legally. It's probably easier than we'd think.

Radioactive Isotope

i heard a snippit on the news that the VA police found out he was in the US legally, and that he purchased the hand guns legally.

Mara

Yeah, it was all legal...

But there were warning signs... from a couple years ago.

Female students complaining of him stalking them....

He wrote some disturbing stories and poems, to the point where the prof. wanted him out of her class.

I guess he was even put in counseling and a psych hospital for a while.

And no one did anything because he wasn't breaking any laws.

Chickenman

What were they supposed to do? Throw him in jail because he was creepy?

Warning signs? Hindsight in 20/20. No one could predict he'd snap and kill people, and you can't punish someone just for being weird.

Edited by Chickenman

Chris/Tauntaun13

Yeah, if the police had to deal with/check out every weird, creepy or lonely person out there, they would have to keep tabs on half the world.

The saddest thing about this is that it's probably going to make people even more suspicious and unfriendly towards the loners and the "weird" kids. I'm not saying that this wouldn't have happened if the killer was hugged enough times; some people are just too far out and nothing can save them. But I'm sure there are enough loners and outsiders who are good people that will face even more hostile behaviour just because they're different.

Radioactive Isotope

i wonder if he had anti-social personality disorder. if that's the case, there's not much you could have done about it. one of my psych teachers said the only "treatment" for antil-social personality is jail because they have no morals and no empathy.

Mara

I think there was more wrong with him than being just weird or creepy.

And, hey, he was actually smiling in that video he sent to NBC. :roll:

Chickenman

I think there was more wrong with him than being just weird or creepy.

And, hey, he was actually smiling in that video he sent to NBC. :roll:

Oh, there definitly was more wrong with him than that. But there's no way anyone could have known that. We couldn't have thrown someone in jail just on the chance that they might do something horrendous.

Uncle Du

I dunno if you all are getting less info than us that are in Virginia, but I wouldn't think so. He was in the States legally, since he was 8, when his parents immigrated here. He was a naturalized citizen, and bought both of the guns legally. One he bought at a gun show in VA and the other he purchased (wait for it..........) on Ebay. I heard on the radio this morning that the online gun dealer does not plan on shutting down despite the tradgedy. God forbid he should have to find a different line of work.

And yea, really, there is nothing else that could have been done to stop this kid because he never did anything illegal up until that point. From all accounts, he was a troubled youth, and people actually did try to help him out. Like Drake said up top, people are desensitized to this now, and I'm one of them. When I heard about it, I was at work, and all I was thinking was, "So it happened again, huh?" Say what you will, but this kind of thing will continue happening, as long as human beings walk this Earth. In my opinion, I don't think there will come a day when all human-kind can live together. Call it a defeatist attitude if you will. I don't think there's any hope for us as long as people can't set aside differences, and just live together.

Mara

Especially since they keep reminding us that it's the worse massacre in history...

Which just means some moron will try to up it to get into the history books.

TheUnknown

I'm re-adding my original post that I split into the debate table:

I was at work (where I have access to the Internet), saw I watched the news sites continuously up the death toll. It was kind of disturbing. And some of my coworkers have some connections to Virginia Tech. In fact, I think my school itself has some connections. The place I work (the Burruss Institute of Public Service, a research insitute that is part of Kennesaw State University) and a building on campus, the Burruss Building, share their names with a building at Virginia Tech (Burruss Hall).

Third, Stephen King, who has written two stories about school violence (Rage, which I haven't read and which was taken out of print, and "Cain Rose Up," which I have read and is about violence in college), was interviewed about the topic of violent writing: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036014,00.html

Lastly, CNN reports that gunfire has been heard at the Johnson Space Center.

Chickenman

And I'll re-add a thing I said:

So apparently, a Columbine survivor goes to VTech, and was on Campus during the shooting. She's now survived two school shootings.

Chickenman

NASA again? They have not been doing well lately. First Columbia, then psycho astronaught and the crazy love triangle, now this. Geez.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.