Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Advice and Suggestions Wanted

TheUnknown

Okay, here's the situation. I want out. It's my two year goal to get the ewok away from my mother. I've already noted some of her doings, but basically I find her to be a threat to just about everything facet of my life: academically, socially, mentally, emotionally, physically, legally, financially, politically. Basically, Operation: Escape from the bith has three objectives: Find a car, find a job, get the ewok out. The problem is I'm not sure how to go about all of this. I can get a student loan that should take care of the down payment on a car and my advisor has offered me a job several times at the institute she runs. However, the job would not pay enough for me to live alone. I want off the sinking ship, but I don't want to jump into a whirlpool either. And I don't want to have to work so much that I can't even enjoy my freedom or even to the point where it too jeopardizes my health and academics.

Any suggestions?

Andy

The only thing I can really suggest is that you group together with some friends and find a place and share the cost of living.

I can't comment on anything to do with student loans or anything, as I have never been in that situation, having never gone to Uni or college past 18.

Radioactive Isotope

i'm with beeurd. do you have some buddies you could stand to be around enough to live with? my other piece of advice is to spend as much time as possible "studying" at the "library." until you move out, be at home as little as possible.

Princess

What they said... Get a roomie. or find a really cheap place and live on ramen and water. Also, could you live on campus?

Brumak

*fourthly suggests that*

I didn't 'need' to move out, persay, but sharing a place with friends and splitting costs makes things a lot easier.

And, with what prin said, campus life might not be such a bad idea. If you could apply for being an RA, it would make things easier. But still I suppose that's dependent on whether you're interested or elligible (...I don't even know what requirements or whatnot are required for it...)

Princess

As a former RA, I can say that it depends on the college, but it's usually free room and board, and with some schools you also get a stipend and can work at the front desk of the hall.

Radioactive Isotope

you also get to be the killjoy that breaks up drunken dorm parties. :D

Edited by Sassy Fairy

Uncle Du

Well, I can say that, if you need a car, and have a possible way to get enough money for a down payment on a car, look into actually getting something older and reliable. Like an older Volvo or Volkswagon. Keep an eye out in an auto trader, or even online, for a trader in your area. You would be shocked at the kinda deals that you can get. My Dad was great at this, he would always find cars for 500 bucks, and they would run for a good couple of years or so. Vice can attest. I got my car in March, and paid 2500 bucks for it. It's nothing special, but it gets me back and forth from work. And I own it. Nothing beats actually owning your vehicle.

If you find a deal on a vehicle, and you have the money, go right to the persons house, look at the vehicle, drive it, then straight up offer them half, all in cash, right there. Most people will take it right away, cause the money is right there in front of them. Keep in mind that this has to be a car that's already being sold for pretty cheap. If you're really just looking for some wheels to get you around, don't go for looks or make, and definitely don't finance, not at least unitl you have a steady, full-time income. You'll still have to register the car, and pay for some kind of insurance, whether it be liability or full coverage.

As for the rooming thing, well, think everyone else has ya covered. I third (or fourth) the motion. Roomates can suck, but they do have the purposes. :p

Hope some of this helps. And good luck!

Edited by Du(SW)

Princess

you also get to be the killjoy that breaks up drunken dorm parties. :D

And you can then make friends in the right places on campus

TheUnknown

It's so funny how things change.

Jake Durron

I also suggest that you find a few roomies, and if at all possible get a toyota, they're super reliable. mine is 21 years old and besides a few setbacks it runs really well. As for jobs, you may have to get two parttime that's what I'm going to have to do.

Ayingel

actually, you could get a relatively new kia...they lose value right away so you can get a 2005 for like $3000

Pandora

A roommate is a great idea, but make up a written agreement as to the specific terms of the agreement that both of you sign. If the person you room with turns out to be a deadbeat, it'll help you recover financially.

Figure out where the best part of town for you to live in will be, and check out apartment finder websites. Look for move-in specials to help get a better deal on a lease. Who knows, you may find a little efficiency you can afford on your own, even though it's not in the best part of town. They say that your rent/mortgage shouldn't be more than 25% of your monthly pay. However, I understand that when your monthly pay is only around $1000, $250 doesn't get you too far. I would make a list of all of your immediate financial obligations to help you see exactly how much you can afford in rent and how much more income per month that you need to pull in. Remember that Ramen is only about 10 cents a package, goes really far to fill you up, and if you're creative enough, can be really tasty and give you some variety. Canned meats (like tuna or chicken) and a couple different seasonings can be tossed in to make it less blah. As far as veggies go, cabbage is cheap. If you're on an organic-eating habit, kick it. Milk is expensive enough with its additives. And clip coupons whenever you can. Go for the generic brand. Do you have Krogers there? Kroger brand food is just as good as the real thing, sometimes better, and saves you about 40% on your grocery bill.

Are you going to school full or part time? If you reduce the number of credit hours you take each term, you can work full time, get yourself some health insurance from work (you never think about it until you need it, then you wish you had it). If you are lucky enough to get a monday-friday, 9-5 kinda job, you can go to school at night if your college offers it, or vice versa. It's exhausting, but it lets you work and learn full time. However any social life you have may go down the tubes. Going to school part-time takes a little longer, but it is just a temporary arrangement.

As for the car, I'm always a little wary of buying privately from an individual, but then I have been working full time for several years and have decent credit, so I can afford to finance. Another alternative is an auto auction: whether it's a police siezure, or a dealership that is trying to get rid of its used car inventory... CarMax might auction cars they can't sell, I'm not sure, but I can find out from my Dad who just got a job there.

Most importantly, keep as positive as you can. This situation is a test of character that I'm sure you can pass with flying colors. Write down you goals for the month, year, next five years, and decade. Keep both eyes locked on your goals for the month and year, with an occasional glance at the long-term to keep you in the right direction. Know what you want and what you are willing to do to get it, and go for it. You can do it.

Is any of this helping, Unknown?

Jake Durron

actually, you could get a relatively new kia...they lose value right away so you can get a 2005 for like $3000

:cry: that's all I'm worth?

Drake

No way, Kia! You're priceless! :D

Edited by Drake

Andy

Why don't you just get a cheap car? lol

No point bankrupting yourself over something you're only going to have for a couple years.

My car cost me ?500 ( ~$1000 ) 3 years ago and I've never had a problem with it... Apart from when I crashed it, but that doesn't count cos it was my fault. :p

I'll be looking at getting a new one when I can afford it. No point getting a loan I can't afford when I have debt anyways lol.

Radioactive Isotope

avoiding debt is generally a good thing. a couple exceptions being education and buying a house, but again, don't take on more than you can afford to pay back.

TheUnknown

I don't think anyone is looking at the date of this. Not are they realizing what I meant by things coming full circle. Everything's find now. :p

Mara

I paid about $4,200 for mine. :p

Yeah, I noticed that --- new advice on old problems, haha.

Andy

I don't think anyone is looking at the date of this. Not are they realizing what I meant by things coming full circle. Everything's find now. :p

I was gonna say this is an old thread. :p

Ayingel

i did...i just wanted to throw the kia suggestion out there :p

and i'm sure you're worth more than that kia...the car tho..that's a different story...

Jake Durron

I would hope so, I really am trying to get away from the reputation that I made for myself x_x

Princess

Who went dumpster diving?

TheUnknown

The forgotten threads of the Spaceport is NOT a dumpster. Bad Prin!

Princess

Pffft. You have no idea how many times I've gone digging and been accused of dumpster diving

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.