Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Isotope

Federal Marriage Amendment

Radioactive Isotope

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucmg/20060523/cm_u...geamendmentvote

the vote is taking place in the Senate on June 6 to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. whether you are for or against the amendment, be sure to contact the Senators for your state to let your voices be heard. if it passes the Senate, it then will go to the House of Representatives, and from there has to be ratified by 3/4 of the States (which would be 38/50). it has been a long time since the Constitution was amended, so be sure to take part in this historical event.

GI_Admiral

lol there are multiple choices for your voice to be heard in that process :p

I do have a bad feeling that it might have a chance to pass...many religions do push for man/women unions...

Andy

Eek, bad move. I can see the demonstration rallies now, lol

GI_Admiral

West coast and East coast...in south they'll jsut continue the banning :p

TheUnknown

I propose changing this amendment to "The Republicans are Scared sithless and Need Something to Distract People Amendment." Oh, and I don't think it'll pass.

Radioactive Isotope

i dunno. if the House and Senate vote along party lines, it will. it may have a problem getting enough states, though.

GI_Admiral

The thing is, some might not. Congressmen and women have to worry about their election as well. If they're republican, but their district sways towards a more liberal side, they're gonna think twice before voting on the party line.

I am starting agree with Unknown more, I doubt it will pass. (I admit, im a democratic flip flopper :p)

Radioactive Isotope

personally, i think the party system sucks majorly and we need to get rid of it, but hey, what do i know? :p

GI_Admiral

lol join the age old debates about party systems :p

TheUnknown

i dunno. if the House and Senate vote along party lines, it will. it may have a problem getting enough states, though.

Republicans would need 67 votes in the Senate to pass it. There are only 55 Republicans in the Senate. I could see Specter, Chafee, Snowe, and Collins voting against it. That leaves 51 Republicans. So, they would need 16 Democrats to vote for. I don't think that's likely.

In the House, they would need 289 votes to pass it. There are 231 Republicans. If the Dems take the vacant seat in the special election in the California 50 and DeLay resigns, there will be only 230 Republicans. They would need 59 Democrats to vote for the amendment for it to pass and that's assuming every Republican votes for it, which isn't a given. Definetly not likely.

Link

Well... I agree with that it's between a man and woman. Period.

GI_Admiral

lol well either way it'll never be "Marriage is between a man and a woman" or "Marriage can be between two people, even same sex"it'll always be controversial cause its religion vs civil liberties...

Link

Ok. Analogy time. Slot A to Slot B. A does not meet A and B does not meet B. Now. Male and female. Thanks.

GI_Admiral

lol Ok Analogy time. Slot A does not A and B does not meet B. Now [insert any description of a person] and [insert any description of a person; A != B]. Thanks.

Just like "OMG Jews can't marry a Bhuddist person! That's just...BLASPHEMY!"

"OMG! That White man married a black woman!"

I thought we got over race and religion. How does sexual preference make a difference?

Chickenman

Wow Link. I totally agree with you. Oppressing people just because they have a diffrent preference than us is perfectly right. It's not prejeduce at all. Keeping people down just because they're different is perfectly acceptable. In fact, it's worked in this country for centuries. Hey, we did it to black people, up until the 1960s, and look at how that worked out. Or, you know, wiping out nearly all of the native americans. That was a good one. Oh, and silencing any debate by saying "it's between a man and woman. Period," was a stroke of genius. Way to go showing tha you're gonna be stubborn about this. If the US Government had followed your narrow-minded way of thinking, we'd still be killing Native Americans left and right. Why don't you think with an open mind for a change?

But Chicken, the Bible/Torah/Koran/Whatever says being homosexual is a sin! Yeah, and the Bible also had slavery in it, but we realized that was wrong. I mean, the bible said that slavery was good and we realized that it wasn't. If slavery can make a 180 degree turn, why can't homosexuality? And doesn't keeping people down like this go against every single one of Jesus' teachings? Treat others as you want to be treated. No one wants to be opressed. Unless you're into S/M or something. And guess what? S/M was started by gay people.

What if you and your husband couldn't marry each other? What if we were in a society where straight people are looked down upon? Think about how much you love being married. Why would you take that happiness away from other people? Because you're an ignorant prick? Sorry, that's not a good enough excuse.

So why is homosexuality so frowned upon? Oh yeah, anal sex. Now, that's just unnatural! Except why does the prostate gland, located in the anus, act as the male G-Spot? For anyone believing in Intelligent Design, I ask you this question: Who could have possibly installed that little feature?

Oh, and your analogy sucks. First of all, it's Tab A that goes in Slot B. Guys don't have vaginas, last time I checked. Second of all, no, Tab A doesn't meet Tab A, but Tab A can go in Slot C. And as for Slot B not meeting Slot B, yes it can. It's called Tribadism.

Marriage should be between whoever loves each other. People should be able to love who they want to love. To take something like that away is one of the cruelest things I can think of. Period.

Darth Paladin

/rant :D

Why did they bring this up now anyway? The ammendment would have passed easily a couple of years ago, when people were willing to discriminate.

Edited by Darth Paladin

Chickenman

Because, Paladin:

I propose changing this amendment to "The Republicans are Scared sithless and Need Something to Distract People Amendment." Oh, and I don't think it'll pass.

Notice the Republicans have done nothing about abortion though? And that's been a major issue for longer? And people generally care about that issue more? Could that be because abortion is how they get the majority of their voters, and if they get rid of that issue, how are they gonna get votes?

Edited by Chickenman

Ana

I support Unknown's movement for changing the Proposition name.

And I also support Chicken's awesome soapboxspeech.

And I don't think this thing will pass. But if it does, I will be moving to Canada as soon as I finish college. Seriously. I feel far too strongly that ALL people are created equal.

Chickenman

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

~Declaration of Independence

Our country was founded on that. If you don't like it, you can move to Saudi Arabia.

Andy

Pfft or the UK, we're awesome. ;)

And obviously I am for gay marriage or whatever you want to call it these days.

Equal rights and all that. Sure 'slot A and slot B' go together but why should two guys or two gals who live together not be able to have the same benefits that being a married straight couple gives?

But yeah, a lot of this debate will be just opinions and such.

GI_Admiral

I agree, minus that quote Chicken. Its too cliche, and overused and therefore its original meaning has been destroyed. But I guess that's for the better.

Chickenman

I agree, minus that quote Chicken. Its too cliche, and overused and therefore its original meaning has been destroyed. But I guess that's for the better.

I don't think its meaning has been diminished at all. However, I do see how it might be a tad overused.

GI_Admiral

Its meaning diminished?

It was meant for white landowning males, preferrebly middle to upper class, keeping control of the economy and government. Women, blacks, mexicans, illegal immigrants, gays, bis, lesbians weren't even considered "Men" when he said that phrase. It's meaning diminished. But I will agree...it was for the better.

Andy

Women weren't considered men, eh? Well I never. ;)

GI_Admiral

Men in the terms of human :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.