Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Muhammad Caricatures, Holocaust Comics, etc.

Chickenman

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/02/...toon/index.html

Thoughts?

I for one, think the guys who make this newspaper are complete assholes. I'm all for making insulting jokes, but there's a place where you have to draw a ewoking line.

Edited by Chickenman

Tsl

lol, if it was making fun of Jesus, it would be okay. :roll:

Chickenman

Well, Muslim law strictly forbids pictures of God and Muhammad, because you're not supposed to pray to any pictures/idols or anything, only to God himself, so this is a tad bit more insulting than the average Jesus joke.

Tsl

Not really, lol. Blasphemy is blasphemy. In the US, it's okay to bash anything that's "mainstream", but anything "minority" is strictly forbidden. Our society is dumb.

GI_Admiral

lol Blasphemy is blasphemy, a jokes a joke.

Extreme to one, normal to another.

Humans are different, just how life is

Insyana

Not really, lol. Blasphemy is blasphemy. In the US, it's okay to bash anything that's "mainstream", but anything "minority" is strictly forbidden. Our society is dumb.

Example?

Andy

I think she already gave an example.

Ender

Example?

The month we're in right now. Black History Month. I'm not racist in the slightest, but Black History Month is all about bithing. You were slaves, whoopdy doo. Many other cultures were enslaved, but the African Americans just bithed about it more. So they get their own month. If we had White History Month, or White Entertainment Television, it'd be called racist. It's okay to be racist to white people, but no, not Blacks.

Tsl

Exactly. We have to tolerate and celebrate foreign cultures, religions, blah blah, not saying that we shouldn't, of course. But if you're not some form of minority, you're fair game.

Examples? Ender gave one. BET. What would happen if we had WET? Probably massive riots and protests. Scholarships for Blacks only, Hispanics only, etc. Whites only? One school offered one and got destroyed in the media (they did it to make a point).

Another example? If you're negative towards Jews or Muslims you're a cad, and considered a bigoted idiot not fit to inhabit this country. However, we're no longer allowed to say Merry Christmas.....on Christmas.... because it might offend somebody. Im waiting for the day we ban public celebration of Christmas and start referring to it as The Holiday.

According to Chicken who started this thread about the wrongness of this, it's okay to make fun of Jesus, but not Muhammed. Why is that, exactly?

Enough examples?

Insyana

Example?

The month we're in right now. Black History Month. I'm not racist in the slightest, but Black History Month is all about bithing. You were slaves, whoopdy doo. Many other cultures were enslaved, but the African Americans just bithed about it more. So they get their own month. If we had White History Month, or White Entertainment Television, it'd be called racist. It's okay to be racist to white people, but no, not Blacks.

Isn't this in September? Plus White History can't be fitted into a month.

I think she already gave an example.

I don't think she gave a specific example. Not an actual event.

Enough examples?

Not really, you've only given one. :/ Fair game on the BET thingy, although I don't have a clue what this is. Scholarships always sounded like a silly idea.

Wait, I do remember anti-abortion campaigners, somethign about blowing up people's houses. Weren't these dudes Christians? What about the hippy movement?

Tsl

What does that have to do with anything?

And I gave 4 examples.

Bad furday

I too agree with Apollo/Ender...

If anyone deserves a month, I think the various Native American tribes ought to get it...we've done enough to them over the centuries. However, since the blacks complained more, they got their own month.

Now, I have seen several of the cartoons in question. The one where the suicide bombers are outside the gates of heaven , and are told to stop, as they've run out of virgins was, to me, amusing. Granted, I'm not a religious person at all, hence my indiffference.

The one with allah wearing a bomb for a turban seemed to sum up the thoughts of this man:

Philippe Douste-Blazy, the French foreign minister, said: "It is not normal to caricature a whole religion as an extremist or terrorist movement." But the extreme reaction to the cartoons "would suggest the caricaturists were right," he added.

That's funny....I strangely have the urge to buy a Danish product... :p

Insyana

Actually you've only mentioned three. One was kinda sucky, the other was Apollo's.

See, when I first saw the article's I thought they were making a mockery of modern affairs. I guess they were.

If anyone deserves a month, I think the various Native American tribes ought to get it...we've done enough to them over the centuries. However, since the blacks complained more, they got their own month.

Don't be silly. You can only fit the entire Native American history into one day. How about Monday? I Don't Like Mondays.

Edited by Insider

Chris Loves You

You've got to wonder what the Dutch newspapers were thinking. Did they expect to get away with that?

Um, no. The Book of Daniel was a highly controversial TV show about Christianity and many stations refused to air it and after a couple weeks, NBC dropped it from its lineup entirely. And that's just one example. (becausei'mtoosleepytothinkofanyothers)

Plus White History can't be fitted into a month.

You can only fit the entire Native American history into one day. How about Monday? I Don't Like Mondays.

Bigotry?

EDIT: also.

Black History Month. I'm not racist in the slightest, but Black History Month is all about bithing. You were slaves, whoopdy doo. Many other cultures were enslaved, but the African Americans just bithed about it more. So they get their own month.

The man who first devised it as 'Negro History Week' intended for it to be done away with when African-American history became integrated with American history. And since I haven't heard any sort of fuss about it other than 'so why do we have it?', I suppose it has run its course.

Edited by Chris Loves You

GI_Admiral

lol insider.

BET = Black Entertainment Television. A channel for just blacks basically.

Insyana

lol insider.

BET = Black Entertainment Television. A channel for just blacks basically.

Like Channel U? Ooooer. Yeah. Music Channels suck.

Bigotry?

Thanks. I am well endowed.

Can't be fitted. Fitted I say.

20060203britishmuslimsps6io.jpg

:lol:

Tsl

lol, the Dutch attack the Muslims, so Iran attacks Jews?

Now that's some logic for ya!

Insyana

Nah.

The Danes did.

Chickenman

I'll merge these two threads.

You know, even after all this, you still gotta admit:

These comics are still funnier than "Cathy."

TheUnknown

Okay, we do have a white history month. As a matter of fact, we have eleven (if you leave out February). Take a look at your American history book. Notice that most of the people it talks about are white? Also notice that it probably begins with the colonies, not saying much about the natives? And if you've taken "world" history, you'll find that it was probably European history plus Egypt and Mesopotamia. Oh, and what do you think about St. Patrick's Day? How do you think that came about? The Irish bithed enough.

And I think many don't realize the inherit societal, economic, and political benefits white, Christian, heterosexuals are given in this country.

As for the actual topic of this thread: First, it's horrible that Muhammad is depicted like that. To me, judging Islam based on the terrorist and purportedly Islamic regimes is like judging Christianity based on the Nazis, the Crusades, the KKK, and the ethnic clensing of American Indians. While I have gained a little more respect for where the protesters are coming from (the ban on depictions is supposed to stop idoltry) it's still stupid to harm innocent bystanders. And I find it hypocritical to ban depictions of Muhammad but named your kid after him.

Insyana

To me, judging Islam based on the terrorist and purportedly Islamic regimes is like judging Christianity based on the Nazis, the Crusades, the KKK, and the ethnic clensing of American Indians.

I thought this was a joke by the Danish newspaper. Making a mockery of other media groups and their depiction... eh. It's all so dull! :(

Chickenman

*Nods in agreement*

I think I read somewhere that the guy who drew those cartoons knew how horrible that was considered in Islam, but did it anyway. So, like I said, he's an asshole.

That's not poking fun at Islam, that's a direct attack on Islam as a religion and culture. I'm in favor of poking fun at people, not on verbally abusing them.

Still, it's nothing to bomb buildings over. Both sides need to apologize and drop it. Of course, that's not gonna happen so...

meh.

Rogue

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/02/...toon/index.html

Thoughts?

I for one, think the guys who make this newspaper are complete assholes. I'm all for making insulting jokes, but there's a place where you have to draw a ewoking line.

Here's my thoughts. I don't care if your atheist. You need to respect the religions that everyone else believes in. Once you start making fun of people for thier most sacred beliefs, you're a total ass and should be ashamed of yourself.

Not really. It's kinda like how black people call eachother Nigga, but if a white person says it to them it's offensive. Or on a more basic level, how you go on a diet because you think your too fat, but someone calls you fat and you get pissed off at them.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.