Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader

Mara

I'm about halfway through.. and I have to say.. I'm not really that impressed so far.

Andy

I haven't been able to find it anywhere. :(

Chickenman

Saw it at Border's. It probably kicks ass, but I've got a bunch of reading to catch up on allready.

Princess

It was a good read. You really see the person of Darth Vader developing and struggling to push Anakin to some deep down place where it doesn't hurt any more. You see him coming to terms with the limitations that his suit has put on him and how he has to adapt his life because of it. You also get to see baby Luke and Leia, though more emphasis is on Leia. And there's also the hunt for the Jedi that survived Order 66.

Mara

I haven't been able to find it anywhere. :(

I got it outta the library. :p

Or... here.:p

Edited by Mara

Mara

Well I finished it... It was pretty good.. but now the best or anything.

Was an interesting insight.

I can't wait for the next one after.... one that'll take up where it left off, with Obi-Wan on Tatooine.. I'd love to read that book.

Radioactive Isotope

this one's next on my list

Radioactive Isotope

ok, detailed review coming up. if you haven't read the book and don't want to be spoiled, get out now.

personally, i enjoyed this book. it was a bit slow to get started, but once i got into it, i couldn't put it down. i thought it was interesting to note that perhaps the clones weren't as hardwired to obey as everyone thought. i always found it a bit odd in the movie that the clones could suddenly turn on friends and commrades they had been fighting with all through the war. it was nice to see that at least some didn't.

i also enjoyed Anakin/Vader's realization that he had been played by Palpatine/Sidious, but had gotten in too deep to do anything about it. the transformation into Vader was equally well done. instead of the graceful, powerful warrior Anakin had been, Vader is a rather clumsy, brooding machine. it paints a different picture of the terrifying Sith Lord we've all come to know and love, but of course, he didn't become that way overnight. it's rather awe-inspiring to see how Vader cultivated such fear and respect by basically squashing anyone who got in his way. even if it's an entire planet. his ruthlessness is unquestionable as he basically levels Kashyykk.

the book also explains nicely how the Wookiees ended up in slavery to the Empire. one bothersome point is that Chewbacca escaped the initial rounding up, so i would like to see in a future book how he ends up in slavery for Han to rescue. it also expounded on the almost random appearence of the Wookiees in the movie. while reading, i wanted so badly for the Wookiees to win, but of course there was no way they could.

i loved the character of Roan Shryne. i often found myself wanting to smack Olee Starstone in the head for not listening to him. he reminded me a lot of Qui-Gon, and it's a shame he had to die at the end. i also thought it was interesting that this is the second recently released book that has a mention of the Jedis' family members. Roan came across his mother, and Lorana Jinzzler in Outbound Flight came across her brother. i wonder if there will be another book that will focus specifically on a Jedi's return to their family. i for one would like to see that happen.

there's so much in this book that merits mentioning, like baby Leia's near run-in with her biological father and Obi-Wan's sickening realization that Anakin/Vader didn't die on Mustafar like he thought. the latter point is one i would like to see expounded upon in a later book. i'd also like to know what eventually happens to Bail and his wife. were they on Alderaan when the Death Star destroyed it, or did they manage to get off-planet? i also wonder how many other Jedi besides Roan will die knowing that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker. Anakin's arrogance is still very much a part of him if he's going to gloat that the Jedi hero destroyed the Order. lots of interesting stuff to talk about. this book should have been way longer.

Princess

*applauds JM*

But I have a feeling tha Bail and Brehea (I think that's how it's spelled) didn't escape Alderaan because Bail was one of the founding members of the alliance and would have gotten himself and his wife to help the Rebellion.

Radioactive Isotope

that doesn't necessarily mean they were on planet when it got blown up, but you're probably right

Mara

True.. but it seems in A New Hope that they must have... of course, Leia never directly mentions her family...

Until in Return of the Jedi, it sounds like her mother died when she was young... I'm not sure if that refers to Padme or Breha.

It could be Padme and GL just hadn't decided how old the twins would be when she died or something.

Radioactive Isotope

i'm kinda lead to assume that Leia's talking about Padme since Luke asked her about her "real mother." as far as GL is concerned, i doubt he had every detail of the story figured out in 1983, so i think it's safe to assume that he wasn't sure how old the twins would be when Padme died and kinda wrote himself into a sticky spot. ;)

Mara

Yup. One of those minor things that regular people wouldn't notice. ;)

Radioactive Isotope

who are these regular people you speak of? :???: :p

Mara

Those who are unenlightened as to the power of Star Wars.

Chickenman

Oh, I see...infidels.

Andy

Indeed. We must purge them.

*activates lightsaber*

:twisted:

Chickenman

Now now, Beeurd. What did I say about purging infidels?

Princess

Don't do it without the rest of the group? :puppydogeyes:

Radioactive Isotope

exactly :puppydogeyes:

Chickenman

Not before dinner.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.