Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

What Do I Do?!?!?!?!?!

Chickenman

Okay, a couple days ago, both my girlfriend and one of my best friends attempted suicide in the same 24 hour time span.

They're so important to me. I just...I have no clue what to do. :(

Edited by Chickenman

Andy

Knock their heads together... Having been there, I think they probably just need some sense talking into them. But I dunno all the details.

Chickenman

I just...I'm calling the Suicide Hotline tonight.

Insyana

Damn it. Someone else has been logging onto my account!

Edited by Insider-Dude!!!

Princess

Good idea Chicken. They need professional help and that's the best thing that you can do for them

Brumak

Heh...I have a small bit of experience in this area. Getting professional help is the best thing you can do, but also just talk to em. I find the easiest thing to do is take a friend out somewhere, a friendly environment...and just sit down and talk to them. About anything. Get a cup of coffee, a burger, iunno. But the first thing to do before you can help them, you have to figure out the motives behind the attempts.

It's what I do for my friends...and it's what they've done for me in the past.

GI_Admiral

Sorry to hear that Chicken =/

Having no experience with this, all I can say is try showing that you care. I think a lot of time people commit suicide because they dont think anyone gives a damn about them anymore.

Mara

For once I have to agree with GI... *gasp* :p

One of my very good friends talked about suicide many times..and one time actually attempted. Thankfully all he got was a broken arm and a totalled SUV.

Every time he would talk all depressed to me.. I just tried to get it through his head that someone still cared for him...

I think that's all you can do. Make them realize someone cares.

Of course.. I don't know their exact reasons for doing so.. so this may not work.. but it can help.

Chickenman

Well, I've been talking to both of them a lot. A ton. I've been talking to Miranda all summer about her depression, and I've been talking with Lucy about hers recently. I've been Miranda's "Dr. Phil" as she affectionatly called me, for months, before she decided that she didn't like my advice. I'm usually really good at helping my friends when their depressed. People turn to me when something's wrong. But this...

Miranda feels really unwanted, and I try to drill it into her head that she is, and her life isn't sithty, but...she just won't listen. This is, I think, her second attempt. She's a cutter, and one time she cut so deep that her hand fell asleep for 15 minutes. We were able to get her to quit cutting for an entire month, but then she went back to it, worse that ever.

Lucy thinks she has this condition, it's kinda like the reverse of getting an adrenaline boost or something. I convinced her to write a letter to her mom about it, and how she wants to get it checked out. She tried to over-dose on advil. The only reason she's still here is because she started thinking about me and how much she cared for me, and that got her to vomit the stuff out. She's still getting stomach pains from it.

I just, I feel so ewoking helpless.

SoftballJedi

Talking to them is when of the best things you can do, right below telling an adult. One of my friends told me on AIM last year that he had tried to commit suicide a ton of times, and I freaked, and I told a teacher, wow, was he mad. He didn't talk to me for about six months, but he's still here, isn't he? That's all that matters to me.

Maybe, try doing something you know they really like with both of them. Something that would make them smile, or I don't know.

Chickenman

I do. I have. But they're like...permanently depressed. Miranda, even when we're doing something she enjoys, she just...shuts down. And Lucy just crashes. I've done everything I can for them, maybe more. I just...I don't ewoking know.

Andy

The thing is, to be able to help someone yuo have to know what has made them depressed... And sometimes it won't be something obvious, and will probably seem totally illogical to anyone else. But I dunno, I think it's unique to each person. But yeah talking can help a lot, and beign there can make all the difference. I have a friend who a while ago, like a few months ago was really depressed, and then one night he had a row with his g/f and didn't know what to do, so called me. I told him to come round, and we just sat in his car for about 2 hrs talking, at like 1am. lol

And if someone is feeling down I always let them know that they can talk to me whenever.

Just don't give up, even if it seems hopless. If people know that people are there for them and really do care about them, then they might be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Princess

Chicken, the best thing that you can do right now is to get them both professional help. They may get mad at you a bit but you're not a professional and a professional will have more resources available to help your friends

Mara

I do. I have. But they're like...permanently depressed. Miranda, even when we're doing something she enjoys, she just...shuts down. And Lucy just crashes. I've done everything I can for them, maybe more. I just...I don't ewoking know.

I know the feeling.. My friend would seem fine and happy most of the time, but then suddenly he'd get all depressed and lonely and suicidal. Some little thing sets him off.

These kinds of people just need help and love.

Indie-Girl

The thing is, to be able to help someone yuo have to know what has made them depressed... And sometimes it won't be something obvious, and will probably seem totally illogical to anyone else. But I dunno, I think it's unique to each person. But yeah talking can help a lot, and beign there can make all the difference. I have a friend who a while ago, like a few months ago was really depressed, and then one night he had a row with his g/f and didn't know what to do, so called me. I told him to come round, and we just sat in his car for about 2 hrs talking, at like 1am. lol

And if someone is feeling down I always let them know that they can talk to me whenever.

Just don't give up, even if it seems hopless. If people know that people are there for them and really do care about them, then they might be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

thats really good asvice an all ... but yunno ... you never let me no you were there to help me ... you always told me to stop annoying you cuz you got tired of listening ... but yunno ahh well i got over it after realising ide spent my whole life screaming ' why does noone love me anymore!!!'...

anywho ..

i dont know much about this either but to me any suicide attempt that isnt absolutely successful is a cry for help... i dont think they will acctually go through with it ever because THAT time the didnt cuz they cant ... just be there for them... you might feel helpless but its all you can do and it does the world of good...

Andy

you never let me no you were there to help me ... you always told me to stop annoying you

I'm your big brother; that's how it works. ;)

Sticks

i dont know much about this either but to me any suicide attempt that isnt absolutely successful is a cry for help... i dont think they will acctually go through with it ever because THAT time the didnt cuz they cant ...

That may have a little truth to in some cases. In my experience, the ones who are successful at commiting suicide do it on their first try. Two kids in the grade above me a couple years ago commited suicide within a week of each other, and neither had a history of being suicidal as far as I know. In fact, one was a cheerleader and both were well liked. Neither gave any signs. The ones who aren't successful are generally giving a cry for help.

I'm not saying this is always the case, however. You never know.

GI_Admiral

There may not be signs. Many people keep their emotions bottled up inside them and project different auras to keep themselves "safe". But at any moment, something might tip them to the edge and they release it all, and if alot of the emotions bottled up were sadness, then they might go into a deep suicidal depression. But you'd never know cause they only show their depression to themselves, but a happier shell to others, and will even laugh off anyone who tried to help them.

Tsl

well and don't forget the multiple cases of "cry for help attempts" that end up being successful. Like the teens who od on Tylenol thinking it's no big deal and end up on the liver transplant waiting list.

Indie-Girl

you never let me no you were there to help me ... you always told me to stop annoying you

I'm your big brother; that's how it works. ;)

you could always help me ... it doesnt matter if 'thats how it works' ...

dont worry chickenman im sure it will be okay but just look out for them just incase

Chickenman

Okay, Miranda is...a little better, I guess, but Lucy is worse than ever.

I'm 100% sure she has Manic Depressive, but she won't get help. She told her mom what's been going on, her mom didn't do anything. And now she won't ask her mom to get help. She refuses. She doesn't want her mom to know. She's afraid that if she does tell, her mom will send her to...I guess it's an asylum or something. Me, Miranda and another friend have decided to tell her mom what's going on and stuff, but we don't know if it'll work, or if it'll just make things much, much worse.

She's tried to kill herself four times. (That I know of. Maybe more) Three times from trying to OD on Advil, and once from trying to drink bleach.

The past week I've been going to sleep not knowing if she'll be alive when I wake up.

Princess

Chicken: Suicide hotline

Chickenman

I know, I just...I don't know.

Tsl

There's always the 72 hour hold option. Hey, if you run out of options, you run out of options... She might hate you with every fiber of her being, but she'll be alive, medicated and in therapy for at least 72 hours.

Edited by The Tsl

Andy

Yeah, but even if she does hate you to start with, she will eventually realise that you did it to help her

Edited by beeurd

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.