Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Harry Turtledove

Chickenman

Has anyone else read any of his books? I'm currently reading "How Few Remain" which is the first of a series that goes from the Civil War, to World War II.

He also writes some fantasy and science fiction, as well as another alternate history book, "Guns of the South" that answers the question on everyone's mind: What would happen if the the confderates had been given AK-47s during the Civil War??? :D

"How Few Remain" is really really good so far. The first chapter starts off with the South defeating the North in the Civil War. Flash forward twenty years later, and what was once America is bitterly divided between the Union and Confederacy. When the Confederates purchase two territories from the Empire of Mexico, allowing their territory to stretch from the Atlantic to the Pacific, the Union declares war.

Drake

I've read Gunpowder Empire and In the Presence of Mine Enemies. The first is about Earth in the future where people travel to alternates to trade for food and resources. It's about a family who trades in an alternate where the Roman Empire never fell. The second book is about what would happen if the Nazis won WWII. Both were pretty good. I have another of his books that's about another planet...I think. It's called Into the Darkness. It's in my reading pile, lol.

Chickenman

Awesome.

One thing that's cool about his writing is how he takes real life historical figures and the events he creates just completely changes them. Stonewall Jackson is still alive, and the top general in the Confederacy. Alfred Von Schlieffen (the guy who came up with Germany's overall military plan in WWI) is the military attache at the German ambassador...thing, in the US. George Custer and his brother Tom are...well, they're still cavalry officers. Abraham Lincoln is now a complete disgrace in the world's eyes, and now makes a living touring the country, speaking for laborerers rights. Mark Twain is a newspaper columnist, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.