Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Tsl

Harry Potter Theories and Such

Tsl

Whoa, I can't believe there isn't a thread like this already. I searched and couldn't find one. Anyways, surely I'm not the only GB fan of Harry Potter!

I've recently reread books 5 and 6 and I've been trying to piece things together for the last book. Here's a place to discuss your theories and ideas on things.

Er...real theories please. Not the gay pr0n stuff :roll: :p

Tsl

Alright, I'll start it off.

Firstly, yes Dumbledore is dead and won't be coming back. And secondly.....he wasn't murdered. Not really anyways.

I think he was killed on his own orders. Snape is still a good guy, as much as I hate him.

Dumbledore was simply too powerful and badass to die the way he did without wanting it to happen. And why would he knock out Harry and stragically place him to witness it all? The pleading behavior too was very unDumbledoreish. I believe he was imploring Snape to kill him and not to spare him because Snape didn't really want to do it. The only other time he has ever taken that pleading tone was when asking someone else to do something they could barely stand to do: Harry feeding him the poison.

Earlier in the book, Hagrid tells Harry that he overheard Snape telling Dumbledore that he didn't want to do it anymore. He was uncomfortable about something Dumbledore wanted him to do. I believe he grudgingly agreed to be the one to do in Dumbledore and then started having some second thoughts about it before finally sucking it up and doing it in the end.

It even may have partly been an attempt to save Malfoy, who is obviously not as evil as we've been led to believe seeing as how when it came down to it, he was unable to commit the murder.

I still haven't worked out a terribly great theory on why exactly Dumbledore needed to die in front of Harry... I doubt it was solely to save Malfoy or to bolster Harry in an Obi-wan-esque "if you strike me down" thing. But who knows?

----

Now then, my theory on why Snape is on the good side. He was in love with Lilly Evans!

Seriously, think about it. Snape was a big geek, always picked on, he had no friends, really, and Evans was the only person who seemed to have any compassion for him whatsoever. She was also awesome at Potions, just like Snape, so he had plenty of reasons to love her, but absolutely no chance with her either, so he loved her from afar. He was completely pwned with she ended up with the person he hated most, James Potter.

Later, when he joined up with the eval side, he heard the prophecy and realized this was a really great way to get a sort of revenge on Potter for all the crap he dealt with and for taking his love from him. He ran off and gleefully told Voldy about it all. Now I'm not sure where I remember seeing this, whether it was mentioned in a book or in some interview with Rowling, but I seem to remember that there was another person in the Potter household observing the murders. I think it may have been Snape. Either way, his plan backfired. James died. And Harry was to die, but then Lily, who was never really meant to die, who Voldy even gave the option of getting out of the way, ended up getting killed too.

I think that's the point Snape went to Dumbledore and agreed to be a spy for them. That's also a big reason for hating Harry so much. Not only does Harry look and act alot like James, but he is, in Snape's mind, a big reason for Lily's death.

Uncle Du

Those are some pretty good idea's, for the most part I think you're right. The thing that I've kinda been pondering is who got that horcrux. Now, I'm pretty sure it was Regulus Black, but I wanna know how the hell he got it, when Dumbledore and Harry, two of the greatest Wizards ever, had to go through what they went through just to get the fake that someone left behind. It had always been my opinion that Regulus went Death Eater cause he couldn't live up to Sirius. So how in the hell could someone like him have defeated Voldy's traps?! I don't know, for some reason that's all I can think about coming out of Book 6. It was definitely a book full of surprises.

Tsl

Well he was a Death Eater and all. I just assumed he had access somehow to them, like he was a high ranking dude, and he's managed to snatch one and run off with it as he defected.

Speaking of horcruxes, my brother is convinced that Harry himself is one. I dunno if I believe it or not. He thinks that all the talk about Voldy giving some of his powers to Harry in the attempt to kill him and all means he put a piece of himself into Harry, probably accidently making him one. That means Harry will have to die to do Voldy in.

Uncle Du

Oooooo, that's a good one! If you think about it, it makes sense. When Voldy realized that he was going to die, he split himself again, that's why Harry is the way he is. That's really interesting. I never even thought of that.

SoftballJedi

I just don't understand why would Dumbledore allow himself to die? I got the impression that there was more he wanted to do. I also don't think Snape would've killed him on orders if he is a good guy. It doesn't seem logical.

Tsl

Well, I dunno exactly why Dumbledore wanted to/needed to die. Whatever reason, he seemed to want Harry to observe it all, why else paralyze him when he was already hidden beneath the cloak?

Snape did the deed on orders against his will, hence the pleading from Dumbledore "Please Severus, Puh-lease!" etc. lol

Insyana

Yeah

The standard of writing is growing sloppy

Obvious that Dumbledore told Snape to kill himself

Yeah

Tsl

Er...yeah.

*gives him a lolly and a pat on the head*

SoftballJedi

Well, I dunno exactly why Dumbledore wanted to/needed to die. Whatever reason, he seemed to want Harry to observe it all, why else paralyze him when he was already hidden beneath the cloak?

Snape did the deed on orders against his will, hence the pleading from Dumbledore "Please Severus, Puh-lease!" etc. lol

I think Dumbledore paralyzed him so he didn't go after Malfoy, God only knows what he could've said.

GI_Admiral

Dumbledore is "dead" but there are the pictures, and the whole "pheonix" symbolism. I do think that he'll play some part in coming back (could be a spirit thing that will help topple He-who-must-not-be-named :p)

Tsl

I really hope they don't have him coming back, in spirit form or otherwise.... I hate it when they do that. I could possibly tolerate him coming back as a ghost, I guess, since that's an already long established means of hanging around after death.

I really don't think he'll be coming back in corporal form. That's just not Rowling's style. It's too cheap and........soap opera-esque, lol

GI_Admiral

lol well its been hinted at enough :p

I would say shes gonna have him back in form of the portrait

Drake

Maybe he can inhabit a painting of him. Stick around as a student advisor. :p

SoftballJedi

There IS a painting of him that we already know of that he can advise from, his headmaster's portriat. It was put up as soon a McGonagall entered the Head's office as her own.

Drake

And here I go, making up accurate theories without having read any of the books. I must be some kind of genius!

Tsl

Well clearly there's the painting now. I meant he won't come back as a living breathing old dude, as many people seem to think (or hope). I just can't really figure WHY he needed to die. A few random theories...

--Maybe it was an object lesson to Harry. If he is a horcrux and needs to die, then it was sort of showing him that "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine* To borrow a line from another fantasy we all know and love :p

--Harry's mom dying for him gave him strong protection against Voldy, but that was cancelled out when his blood was used to reincarnate the Voldster. So maybe Dumbledore died to give Harry some of that protection, though I dunno, because he only sorta kinda took a bullet for Harry, so to speak.

--Motivation for Harry to really get to work at going after teh horcruxes and getting the job done.

--Appearing to plead for his life made the baddies overconfident. They took out the might D-man himself, afterall...

--Somebody was getting suspicious of Snape and this was a way to prove that he must definitely absolutely without question be on Voldy's side.

I personally don't really like any of those theories, but I've heard them thrown around. I guess of all of them, the last makes the most sense, but it seems too simple and wasteful. I have a feeling it'll turn out to be something completely off the wall, that in hindsight will be completely obvious, lol. I think it'll definitely be something to aide Harry, though.

Radioactive Isotope

well of course. it is Harry Potter's story, after all. ;)

SoftballJedi

The only theory I like is the motiavation one, even if it is kinda sick.

Harry can't be a Horcrux! I won't allow it! :p

Tsl

well of course. it is Harry Potter's story, after all. ;)

Well, I meant directly as opposed to indirectly (ie the did it to help out Snape's rep theory)

Strike

I've read the Snape loved Lily threory before and never thought anything of it. But the way you have it all layed out it actually sounds plausible.

SoftballJedi

Does anyone think that McGonagall will go with Harry to find the final Horcruxes? I don't know why I do, but it seems like a good bet to me, especially if Hogwarts closes. I think Ron and Hermione will stay in England to help with the Order of the Phoenix.

Tsl

I think that Ron who has always been overshadowed by everything will play a huge part in teh last book and so will Nevile, since the prophecy could have been as much about him as it was Harry. I think McGonagal (I know I speeled that wrong) will stick with Hogwarts and the Order as a leader bean type

Star of the Jedi

WARNING!! This could be a major story spoiler so don't read unless you want to... It concerns R.A.B and the missing locket.

I think that R.A.B is Regalus black because firstly in the fifth book it stated that they found a heavy chained locket that no one could open while they were cleaning the house, it is very likely that it is the missing horcrux that Regalus hid. Secondly J.K Rowling would probably use a character she's already introduced because it is something she would do, she tends to put things in taht seem unimpotant but afterwards they turn out to the most important parts.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.