Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Flag Burning Amendment

Chickenman

This is old, but...

House aproves of the flag burning amendment

If I ever see someone burning a flag, I'm going to kick their ass. Stupid nerfherders can't respect the special freedoms we have. Can't respect the men and women who have fallen to protect those freedoms.

But at the same time, I think this amendment is complete bullsith. Flag burning is a form of speech, which is protected under the Constitution. If this amendment passes, the government will now have the power to stop someone's words. That's not just unconstitutional, that's ewoking tyranical. Blood was spilled so that we have the right to protest government. Passing this amendment not only takes away part of our liberty, but it also lessens the sacrafices those men made over 200 years ago. Like I said, I don't support flag burning, in fact, I hate it, but I'd rather the symbol be burnt to a crisp, than the freedom it represents.

"Ask the men and women who stood on top of the [World] Trade Center," said Rep. Randy [Duke] Cunningham, R-California. "Ask them and they will tell you: pass this amendment."

Don't you EVER use 9/11 for your own political agenda, you ewoking asshole! People like you make me sick, using people's deaths to further your political plans. I hope you rot in hell.

But Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-New York, said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."

Amen

As my dad likes to say:

"Republicans are the ones trying to pass a flag burning amendment, while wiping their feet on the Constitution."
Edited by Chickenman

Ayingel

wow...

and this is where i don't know what to think...

i don't like it when people in my town decide they need to make a point and burn the flags (other than the veterans to retire the flags), but i don't know if i want an amendment to take away part or free speech. free speech is something that i represent among my peers...and i don't know what to think now...

Chickenman

Hopefully, the Senate will turn it down, or not enough states will ratify it.

The last couple of times the Republicans brought this thing up, it died in the Senate, but the Republicans have picked up more senators since the last time, in 2000. 65 senators have said they're going to vote for it, and they need 67 for it to be passed...

Uncle Du

I think it would kinda funny if this thing got passed. How stupid would we look, having an amendment that completely contradicts another.

The flag is just a piece of cloth, it doesn't hold the same meaning to some people as you and I. What upsets me is just like Chicken said, they're destroying the symbol of the great country that gives them the very right to desecrate the flag(for now). It's a paradox, you could argue the sith all day and end up in a stalemate.

My opinion is, let them burn the flag...then kick 'em outta the country for being un-American. :p

Princess

This is complete and utter bull. Part of being an American is having the right to protest against things that you disagree with and being able to burn symbols. Now I sure as hell wouldn't burn a flag but I respect the right that people have to be able to do something like that

Radioactive Isotope

as of now, flag burning is not protected directly by the Constitution, but the SC case Texas v Johnson where it was labled symbolic speech. personally, i think anyone who burns the flag (minus retiring it, of course), should be tossed out and burned at the stake. i would like to see this amendment pass. and if it does, i really don't see it affecting freedom of speech in the long run, because if they even try to step on it too far they won't get the support in Congress, the states won't ratify it, or it will get taken to the SC and shot down. and before you call me a right wing nutjob, let me just say that i don't like everything the Reps are doing. i really detest this push by the religious right sometimes. but the left just keeps drifting farther and farther left to where they don't know what their constituants want (and that's true of the right as well). but often time, i feel everyone's too concerned with what's legal than what's right.

Tsl

It's a piece of cloth. Rather they burn that then set fire to a building or something.

I say if you don't like freedom of speech, then you ought to be kicked out of the country.

Radioactive Isotope

sometimes, i don't like it, lol. but only because people are idiots and don't think before they speak.

but the flag is not just a piece of cloth. it's a symbol of those who have fought and died to make America a place where you can say pretty much whatever you want. i think it is a slap in the face to burn something so many people have given their lives to protect

GI_Admiral

I agree with TSL *gasp*

It's a piece of cloth. Perhaps the ORIGINAL flag of the US. If I died, I could say I died in the name of the trees. If I got enough, maybe I can get people to argue against using firewood because so many people ahve died in its name...*plots*

Freedom of Speech is more as both a symbol and a right then a flag.

Andy

A flag is a symbol that represents a society, its past, its present, its future, its people, its ideals... a flag is the banner that a people unite under. Destroying a flag is like kicking those it represents.

Edited by beeurd

Radioactive Isotope

yunno, i could almost make that out. :p

TheUnknown

No one comes to this country because they think our flag is prettier than their mother country's. They do however come to this country for freedom, and part of freedom is the right to say unpopular things in unpopular ways. And I find it more disrespectful to our veterans to take away the rights they fought for in the same of protected a piece of nylon.

Chickenman

Well, you guys, it's not just a piece of cloth. It means much, much more. I just don't think that the symbol is more important than what it represents.

Tsl

It's a piece of cloth that symbolizes a nation. Just like every other nations/states/whatever's flag symbolizes theirs. People just burn 'em cause it pisses people off real bad, and that's the point of their demonstration, lol.

Sometimes I feel like, what with all the little rules and regulations and reverence for the flag.....it's almost like idol worship, y'know?

Edited by Tsl

Radioactive Isotope

nah. just respect for something that represents our country.

Uncle Du

I think a lot of you are missing the point. The flag is a symbol to us, because it holds a special place in our hearts. You have to understand that there are plenty of people out there who see it as a piece of cloth. That's what it is to them. And really, if the flag meant so much to so many people, would they really sell them for profit?! No!! They would be free for everyone!!

Andy

People will try to make a profit out of anything... Like Coca-Cola who admitted recently that their 'Desani' bottled water is from the mains supply (what you get out your taps at home).

Radioactive Isotope

that's why it tastes so bad....

Tsl

Lol, yeah... Have you seen the latest commercials where they insinuate that mt. stream water has bear pee in it therefore making their tap water better? :p

Oh yeah, and please don't get me wrong with the flag thing. I totally respect the flag and our country. I stand for the national anthem, and place my hand over my heart and recite the Pledge without fail. I stand in respect for the men and women in uniform when they march in parades and things, and I'm careful to never let a flag touch the ground etc.

In fact, in the house I bought, somebody left an old flag that's full of holes and in terrible shape. I'm going to find someone who will be able to handle it respectfully even though it's pefectly legal to toss it in the garbage and be done with it. I'll probably donate it to the boyscouts because I know they practice burning the flags....in a respectful way, of course. I'm even strongly considering keeping the pole and buying a new flag to display on the house.

So, whereas I totally believe in the right to do whatever you want with a flag, and I probably don't put as much............I dunno what, into a flag as most, I'm still.....respectful. Mainly because I know what it means to others and I'd display it because I"m proud to be American. I may not particulary agree with alot of this President's stuff, but I love this country. I may be too chicken to join the armed forces, but I serve in my own little way ;)

Plus....our flag is pretty :D

Edited by Tsl

TheUnknown

Rhetorical Question: And why is this country worth respecting and loving?

Andy

I'm going to answer that anyway (ish) :p

A country is more than just a name and a few lines on a map. America has been home to many great people who have done great things.

CorSec

Let em burn the flag. Everyone will hate em anyway. :D

Chickenman

Rhetorical Question: And why is this country worth respecting and loving?

It's the beautiful country in which I was born, and now live. I have wonderful freedoms, that not all people in the world have. This country gives everyone the opportunity to make something of themselves, something very rare in most countries. I would die for this country. I plan on serving in the national guard when I am older, and I if called upon to do so, I will kill, or be killed for this country.

Drake

Did you get all that off a recruitment poster? :p

Chickenman

No...recruiters treat the words death, kill and other such words as naughty words. Instead they use "experience" and "valuable opportunity" and "you can earn college money."

High school student: Well...I dunno...I mean...this whole stuff with Iraq.

Recruiter 1: I assure you, our boys in Iraq arn't just cannon fodder! They're also gaining valuable experience that they can apply to real life!

Student: Then how come your not out their with them?

Recruiter 1 & 2: ...

Student: Well, I know which soldiers arn't getting valuable experience. The ones out their dying-

*Gasp. The room suddenly becomes very quiet."

Recruiter 2: Did he just say?

Recruiter 1: Yes. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't wash that foul mouth out with soap, all the while breaking every bone in your body.

I love how in Fahrenheit 9/11, the recruiters go up to two black guys, and ask them if they like Shaggy. They say yes, and the recruiters ask them if they knew Shaggy was a marine (or something). I'll bet everything I own that if Shaggy met those two, they'd be recieving a swift kick in the balls.

When the recruiters are in school, my friends pretty much go up to them to get the free stuff :D

Edited by Chickenman

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.