Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Tsl

War of the Worlds

Tsl

So...anyone else see it yet? I was partially impressed, and I"m really bored right now, so I thought I'd write up a mini-review.

CAUTION: CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS....probably

Now then, bear in mind that I'm a big loser and haven't read the book, nor listened to the radio broadcast, nor seen the original movie....

I thought the movie was completely brilliant at being a sort of thrilling type horror film. One of those "Oh God, I know one of those things is gonna pop up any second...I just know it....it's gonna make me jump....it's gonna....Oh GOD! There it is! Run, Tom Cruise, RUN!" Yeah, maybe I was just in a weird mood at the time, but it was actually kind of a scary movie. Not in that I really expect tripods to leap out of the ground and pants me at any moment, but in that it just completely freaked me out and put me on the edge of my seat....with my claws dug into the arm rests, lol.

Now then, before you say I'm lame and do the loser sign on your forehead, please note that scary movies don't get to me. They just don't. Horror movies make me chuckle. The Ring? Pffft... It was cute. Yeah, that's right, cute. A little bit gross with the wiggly fingers and stuff, but mostly just cutesy. Aww...look! They think they're scary! Precious ^^ So the fact that this movie made me jumpy...I dunno. It either really is scary, or I was just in a jumpy mood already, lol.

This factor is the reason I enjoyed it so much. It was a thrill ride. It was cool. It really did inspire a sense of utter, utter hopelessness and the sort of "there's nowhere I can go, nowhere I can hide, and nothing I can do about my fate" sort of feeling.

But then we get to the end. The ending sucked. It's like they shot all the cool, scary chase scenes and then looked at their watches and said "Okay, we have a couple hours worth. Let's end it......Now!"

So yeah....happy ending. Everybody just happens to be where they're supposed to be, even though the whole rest of the world is displaced and everybody just happens to have gathered in one convienvent spot and are all happy and alive. Whatever. Somebody main characterish needed to die, IMO. Would have been best had most of them died actually, like everybody but Ray and his little girl. It made all the scary OMGness seem pointless since none of the people you know die off.

The most despairing story ever ends up the heartwarming movie of the summer, lol. All they needed was to throw in a dog named Spunky and it would have been a truly Disney TV movie ending :p

Andy

lol, yeah. I haven't seen it but I heard that the ending left a lot to be desired...

Someone told me that it starts on a global scale, and then suddenly we never hear of the rest of the world outside America.

Drake

I think the ending was supposed to be short like that. The aliens all die off as quickly as they came. Now, I agree about the whole sap factor of it. I think they should have killed off Dakota Fanning. Killed her off in the most gruesome way possible. I HATE that thing. I don't even know what she is. She looks about 9 but she acts like she's 25. Her smartassness is really annoying. They should've sucked the blood from her body and be done with her.[/rant]

Ayingel

Danielle (Jedichick) just saw it last night. i have been advised not to see it. i don't like movies that scare the piss out of me too much...she had the piss scared out of her, and she loves scary movies. she was paranoid and had nightmares, and since we had a storm this morning, everytime there was lightning, she prayed for thunder. i don't want to see it... :nerves:

((tsl, i agree with you on the ring thing...the first time i saw it i was cracking up...partly because one of the people i was watching it with kept saying, "no nails, go back in, don't come up, go back in!" and ely (my roomie) was screaming...tho watching the special edition on an unmarked tape made me jump when the tape was the first thing you see))

Edited by Smurfette

Andy

Danielle (Jedichick) just saw it last night.

I thought that was you... :???:

Radioactive Isotope

no, she's JediChica. :p

Edited by Phantom Thief Dark

Ayingel

Jedichick joined right after me :p

Andy

Thats just too confusing for GB.

Radioactive Isotope

it can't be any more confusing than the family tree :p

Ayingel

oh yeah...might want to add that bit.

we're sisters.

Tsl

Beeurd: They never really focused on anything in particular. They mention major cities around the world that have been pwned, but you never see any of it. You pretty much see everything through the eyes of Tom Cruise, so the focus is only on the places he goes, which are all in New England, lol. I don't think it was meant to be a only USA matters thing, just a POV thing.

Drake: Yeah, I don't have a problem with how the aliens were defeated and all that. Apparently, that was the same almost exactly as the original movie, it was the convienience of Mom and grandparents just happened to still be in their house in Boston and the kid just happens to have arrived before them and everybody just happens to be all fine and happy even though everyone else in the world is displaced.

JC: I didn't feel scared after I left the theater. It's just during the movie that it's scary. Unless you're afraid the aliens really are coming or something.

GI_Admiral

Was a very good movie. I agree that the end was hollywoodish.

It was kinda scary and unlike you all I hate scary movies. "The Ring"? Yup, haven't seen. The guy in the basement. Wow, like TSL I havent read/seen anything, thought he was going to try to eat them or something, was like "Awww man, gonna be a scene of the one of them sleeping, some tense music, they open their eyes and a quick shot of some mangled face and a knife" But yes, ending was very happy...I like happy...

Radioactive Isotope

wimp :p

Tsl

Hehe, I liked the way they took care of the man in the basement, really. The silly old git :p

Edited by Tsl

Drake

I liked when he was sharpening his shovel. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.