Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

The Tales of Shannara

Drake

Has anyone else read the Shannara books by Terry Brooks? I started them last summer and they're absolutely phenominal. They depict the story of a land of semi-realistic fantasy.

Basically, the books take place many thousands of years after our time. There was a "Great War" in which most of the Earth's surface was destroyed...I'm going to guess by nukes. Anyway, several groups of humans survived. Many were fortunate and found safe areas away from the devastation. They became the race of Men. Some hid underground and over the years they shrunk and became Dwarves. Some hid in the mountain regions. Adapting to the harsh environments, they became Trolls and Gnomes. Others, mutated by the radiation, became lizard-like creatures called Mwellrets. There are also the Elves who were not spawned of Men but were instead always here...we just couldn't see them because they hid using magic. I think this is a cool, original twist on fantasy.

The first book, The Sword of Shannara, is about a half-elven boy named Shea Ohmsford who is visited by Allanon, last of the Druids (keepers of ancient histories and magic). Shea must go on a quest to find the lost Sword of Shannara...the only weapon that can defeat the eval Warlock Lord, who is amassing a massive Troll and Gnome army in the North.

So yeah...check it out if you havn't! Here's the order that the books should be read in:

The Sword of Shannara

The Elfstones of Shannara

The Wishsong of Shannara

The Heritage of Shannara:

The Scions of Shannara

The Druid of Shannara

The Elf Queen of Shannara

The Talismans of Shannara

The First King of Shannara (prequel novel)

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara:

Isle Witch

Antrax

Morgawr

The High Druids of Shannara:

Jarka Ruus

Tanequil

Straken

Right now, I'm reading Elf Queen in my big Heritage quadrilogy hardcover. It's all exceptional. I'd have to say that Terry Brooks is my favourite author, followed by Tolkien.

Tsl

Read 'em, loved 'em. It's been awhile though.

Tolkien is still tops, seeing as how Sword of Shannara is essentially a rip off of LOTR :p

Ender

Yeah, they're all fantastic books. I still read Sword over every now and again.

Drake

Tolkien is still tops, seeing as how Sword of Shannara is essentially a rip off of LOTR :p

It has similar elements but it's hardly a rip-off. The more I think about it, the more I see how it differs from LotR.

Tsl

I'm exaggerating, lol. Don't worry, I'm a huge fan. I've read Sword at least 5 times...

I just happened to notice some very extreme similarites between Sword and LOTR. The other books are less similar. It's not an insult. Just pointing out who teh Master is :D

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.