Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Machiavelli

Does the prophecy of the Chosen One make sense?

Machiavelli

From what I understand the prophecy is that "there is a Chosen One and that he will bring balance to the Force".

This doesn't make sense because there is no good or dark side of the Force. The Jedi and the Sith both use the same Force but for different purporses. So by destroying the Sith or the Jedi, the Force is not affected but the number of people using the Force for good or evil has changed.

Therefore the Force cannot be balanced as it is either a constant, always growing or in decline.

What do you think?

Edited by Machiavelli

Princess

It's all about good versus evil. The Sith have been secretly hiding and building strength for near a milennnia. They've been a secret. There is a Chosen One who is meant to bring balance to the Force, and he does, but not how it's expected. Instead of staying true to the light side of the Force, he turns to the dark and destroys many Jedi. Really, at the end of ROTS, there are just 2 Jedi and 2 Sith. Fast forward to ROTJ, Luke is fighting for his life as a Jedi, the Emperor is pure Sith, and Vader is the fulcrum on which it all balances. Suddenly, as Luke is coming close to turning, Vader realizes all that he's done because his son has brought some humanity back to him. Luke, like his mother, knows that there is still some good left in Vader, that Anakin Skywalker is buried somewhere deep down inside. Something inside the Dark Lord snaps as his son is crying out in pain to him for help and Vader kills the emperor. Bringing balance back to himself, for he is no longer Darth Vader, but once again Anakin Skywalker, greatest Jedi of all time. I think that his shift to the Dark Side and then return to the Light, is what was meant by bringing balance to the Force. It shows that someone can be redeemed from the Dark with the love of the Light. And remember, this is many many years before the NJO and Vergere's teachings to Jacen about light and dark

Andy

The way I see it, the Sith want the Force to themselves, to dominate the galaxy, whereas the Jedi exist to protect the innocent and maintain the Force as it is.

During the prequels the Force is being tipped towards the dark side - the Sith are growing in influence and that darkness is manifesting itself in the Force as the carefully maintained order of the Republic is eroded away.

So basically put:

the Sith seek all power for themselves

the Jedi maintain the current balance, serving rather than dominating

By the time of ANH the Force is severly out of balance with all the Jedi in hiding, and the Dark Lords of the Sith ruling the galaxy. It is only when Anakin Skywalker is redeemed by destroying the Emperor that the pathway to bringing about the restoration of balance in the Force.

*takes a bow*

Wow I just read that and I impressed myself... :p

Princess

Yay! *gives Beeurd a cookie*

Oh and welcome to GB, stop by the central spaceport sometime and introduce yourself. We're a nice group (most of the time :p)

Skywalker

I don't beleive that Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one. If anyone wants me to discuss I will though.

Machiavelli

i know that the light and dark side of the force is metioned throuout all six films but i saw it as the the way in which the force was used. light representing good and dark evil. The Jedi and the Sith live by opposite philosophies and they manipulate the force each for their own purposes. the jedi could learn all of the abilities of the sith but they deem them unatural, as Sidius himself said.

I like princess's explaination as it makes sense to me. There is no dark or light side of the force, there is just the force. the light and dark comes from the two sides of human nature which uses the force for dark or light purposes. when these two opposites of human nature are balanced, you are at peace.

Edited by Machiavelli

Uncle Du

Damn you Prin, for soaking up all the glory! *shakes fist* ;):p

That's about exactly what I was gonna say.

"Always two there are, a Master and Apprentice."

Tsl

I didn't exactly read everybody's, so sorry if this is a repeat but...

Pre-Vader

Jedi: 1,000,000,000 (okay, exageration, but you get the point)

Sith: 2

Post-Vader

Jedi: 2

Sith: 2

Annnnd.....we have achieved balance :D

Andy

they said balance to the Force, not balance to the ratio of Jedi vs Sith

:p

Edited by beeurd

Tsl

:|

Uncle Du

:rofl:

To really figure this out, you need to know exactly what the prophecy meant by "balance to the Force". I don't know what it really means, but I can theorize like anyone else. :p

Drake

I don't think the prophecy has ever been specifically or officially quoted so who knows what it really means.

Uncle Du

My point exactly. :p

And doesn't Yoda say something along the lines about how dangerous it can be to misinterpret a prophecy? Or something?

Drake

Something just came to me....I'll try to sort it out and hopefully it makes sense to you guys.

The Jedi thought that the prophecy meant that the Chosen One would bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith. This was because the Jedi saw themselves as neutral guardians and, while the Sith were around, the balance of the galaxy was tipped to the dark. Yoda said that the Jedi could have misinterpreted the prophecy. I believe they did since the Jedi weren't totally balanced as they believed.

I think the Chosen One was meant to bring balance by acheiving that true balance. Perhaps through learning both the ways of the Jedi and the Sith? However, Anakin fell fully to the dark side due to his love for Padme and Palpatine's manipulations of that love.

Ana

I feel that the Jedi were stupid for assuming that "bringing balance to the Force" meant that the Jedi would win. The Jedi steadfastly say that they oppose the Dark Side. In saying there is a dark side, they create sides, and if they're against the dark, simple opposites would make them the Light Side. Any balance to be found would require an equal number of Jedi and Sith. But since there were only ever two Sith at once, the balance was way way way off. So by killing Jedi, Anakin was actually working to bring balance. And if Yoda and Obi-Wan had been the only Jedi to survive, they might have been an equal power to Vader and Palpatine. But, because Luke and Leia were born, Yoda and Obi-Wan had to hide so that they would be able to teach the child(ren) ((because really, they only taught Luke, when they should've taught both)) the ways of the Jedi, because they didn't get the fact that in saying that a Dark Side exists, and they are not part of it, that they cannot be the neutrals that they want to be, and that by teaching the kids to be Jedi they'd be throwing off the balance.

Anywho, then Obi-Wan dies, then Yoda dies, tilting the galactic balance towards the Dark, because it's Vader and Palpy versus a half-trained boy and a fully ignorant girl. But then Luke goes more Jedi-y, and then Vader kills Palpy and returns to Anakin, giving the Light a lead, 2-0. But then Anakin dies. So at the end of Return of the Jedi, the count is 1 Jedi, 0 Sith. Ideal solution would be if Leia went Dark. But noooo, that'd be too easy.

In closing, I believe that Anakin Skywalker was well on his way to fulfilling the prophecy and balancing the Force. However, the birth of his children was the introduction of unknown variables into the equation and messes the whole thing up. Down with whiny Luke.

Drake

Just kill 'em all and wipe the slate clean. :p

Ana

*Reads that all again*

Wow... I need more sleep... that was pretty rambly.

Uncle Du

I thought it was very insightful. It's better to be philosophical when you're tired, it just seems to make more sense. Then, I'm pretty tired too... ;)

But, to expand on something that was said earlier, maybe Anakin wasn't the Chosen One, it was a mis-interpretation. Honestly, I think Jacen may be more towards the "Chosen One" if you will. Throughout the NJO he has a vision of the balance tilting towards the dark. I'm a bit hazy, cause it's been awhile since I read all the books, but I believe he is the only Jedi to start realizing there is no "Light" and "Dark", there is only The Force. As Vergere taught him. Which is generally a view that is frowned upon by other Jedi, because that's the way they've been taught. To thoroughly know the Force, one must have knowledge of every aspect of it.

I think the Vong are the balancing point to the Force, because it's slowly but surely making the Jedi realize that their knowledge of the Force is far from what they thought it was.

OK, now I'll try and make sense outta this after I've had rest. Yes, rest. :p

Andy

Oh by the way, how do we explain the fact that George Lucas insists that the Force does have a dark and light side? lol

Machiavelli

George Lucas doesn't know what he is talking about.

Tsl

Right...he only created it :p

I still stand by my observation, though Beeurd rudely put it down, I think everybody knows what I meant by it without typing out volumes of history on the Sith and Jedi.

Drake

If George Lucas says that there is a light and dark side of the Force, then that's canon and anything else is speculation.

Andy

Actually, thinking about a Yoda quote just then...

"Life creates it, makes it grow..."

So evil peoples create the dark side of the Force, whereas the JEdi create the Light. Hmm...

Skywalker

Like I said, I don't think that Anakin is the Chosen one, therefore he didn't have to bring balance to the force. He was misinterperted as the chosen one.

Uncle Du

I bet GL is laughing his ass off at all the schmucks debating this. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.