Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Need Help With Computer

Andy

Yeah, i was tryign ot fix my sisters comp, but it hates me.

first, I reformatted the HD and installed Win98, installed the display drivers and set up the LAN.

then i tried to install McAfee Virus Scan 6, and it wouldn't install because Internet Explorer was too old or something, so I updated that and then installed McAfee. Then after installing and updateing McAfee it won't start up, saying:

Windows has disabled direct disk access to protect your long filenames. To override this protection, see the LOCK /? command for more information.

The system has been halted.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reset your computer

and that's all it will do. I really have no idea what to do next, any help would be appretiated. i was hoping i could get it fixed for tonight so my sis could talk to her friends over MSN, but looks like that idea is out of the window...

GI_Admiral

Way to not keep an emergency disk beeurd :p

Andy

because i never needed one before...so shut up.

GI_Admiral

Hopefully the sites i gave you help

Andy

to be honest i don't think i care anymore. they can get someone else to fix the ewoking thing.

Chickenman

I wish I could help, but I don't share my dad's knack for fixing pcs...yet.

Tsl

I'm thinking of building a new PC...any compie geniuses have any thoughts on it? hehe

Right now I'm looking at this:

AMD Athelon XP 2600+ Barton CPU--1.9Ghz, 333 mHz FSB

Abit NF7-S2 motherboard with integrated sound or possibly the Abit NF7-S, which has better integrated sound and greater overclocking ability (which I'm not planning to use anyways)

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600SE Video Card , 128MB DDR, 64-bit --not the best, but I'm not a super gamer anyways

Plus, I'll just reuse my RAM and peripherals for now. I have 512 mb of PC 2100 RAM, a 60 Gb HD and a perfectly find CD-RW and DVD ROM.

And of course, I'll need a kickass new case....this one

Whole thing should run me about $300 US. Then I might look into a new printer as mine is ancient and crappy.

Oh yeah....and I'm planning on running Windows XP pro on it, lol.

Edited by Tsl

GI_Admiral

Im not a computer genius, but it sounds alright to me...((though mine would be more towards gaming, but tahts just me :p))

Anything about the soundcard?

Also nice case, how many fans can it hold? ((just curious lol nothing to worry about :p))

Tsl

the NF7-S2 has integrated 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC

The NF7-S has nVIDIA SoundStorm APU(Dolby 5.1) + 6-Channel AC97 CODEC

And the case only has one side fan (besides the power supply fan, of course), but I'm not going to o/c, so that's fine. The power supply is 450 W

GI_Admiral

cool cool

Andy

My own comp is gonna need an upgrade soon... was gonna get a new graphics card, but any new decent one is too much for my 380w PSU to handle. lol

CorSec

1.9 Ghz processor? Should be easy to go higher these days without too much of a price leap, and thats the thing that's probably one of the worst to upgrade if your thinking of teh future of teh PC.

Aurelius

I'm thinking of building a new PC...any compie geniuses have any thoughts on it? hehe

Right now I'm looking at this:

AMD Athelon XP 2600+ Barton CPU--1.9Ghz, 333 mHz FSB

Abit NF7-S2 motherboard with integrated sound or possibly the Abit NF7-S, which has better integrated sound and greater overclocking ability (which I'm not planning to use anyways)

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600SE Video Card , 128MB DDR, 64-bit --not the best, but I'm not a super gamer anyways

Plus, I'll just reuse my RAM and peripherals for now. I have 512 mb of PC 2100 RAM, a 60 Gb HD and a perfectly find CD-RW and DVD ROM.

And of course, I'll need a kickass new case....this one

Whole thing should run me about $300 US. Then I might look into a new printer as mine is ancient and crappy.

Oh yeah....and I'm planning on running Windows XP pro on it, lol.

I would recommend the 9600XT over the SE, but its up to you.

Andy

Yeah, I agree with CorSec... 1.9Ghz processor should be alright for a while, but if the price difference isn't too much I'd go with something higher.

Tsl

It's an AMD though. 1.9 Ghz pwns a Pentium or Celeron 1.9 to pieces. It's all in the FSB ;)

Pretty much, AMD XP 1.9 Ghz = 2.6 Ghz P4....plus with it being a barton with a larger l2 cache, it probably beats that.

Edited by Tsl

Andy

Hmm...

*processes information*

Point taken.

TheUnknown

1. Find mallet

2. Grasp mallet firmly in both hands

3. Pummel computer

4. Repeat step three as desired

CorSec

Hmm...

*processes information*

Point taken.

^ ctrlc+ctrlv

Princess

Bah, now in addition to only having the family computer to use, our router died so I have to share it with my brother

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.