Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Weekly Poll 33.2: Least Favorite Thing About Xmas

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TheUnknown

Well?

GI_Admiral

The shortness of it all :p (other)

Andy

The music. Christmas is the time of year any full-time person at work dreads. Image, an 8 hour shift that is hellish enough already, but then having a christmas CD on repeat all the damn time... Grrr.... Drive ye insane, it will.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule, such as:

"Do They Know it's Christmas" Band Aid, 1985.

"It's Christmas In Heaven". Monty Python, (although, that's not on many Xmas albums :p)

And of course, the best of all:

"Merry Xmas Everybody" Slade

And as much as I hate to say it, it just wouldn't be Christmas without a few Cliff Richard songs. :roll:

Oh well.

Tsl

Not getting out of work. I have to work on Christmas night. :cry:

TheUnknown

For me, it's the atmosphere, mood. Christmas can be empty or depressing for me for a variety of reasons.

Andy

Aww...

I still don't know what I'm working over Christmas and New Year yet. At least we are closed Christmas Day, lol.

Drake

I hate the music. So annoying.

Aurelius

Most of the Music and Christmas Specials.

Princess

I said other. Working in retail should be on there, here's why:

1. Continuous loop of Christmas music

2. Extended hours

3. Customers that expect you to drop everything and put together outfits for them.

4. Continuous loop of Christmas music

5. bithy customers

Ana

Other. Travelling to see family who I don't really like, and having to sleep either a)on the floor, b)on a too-short couch, c)on an icky motel bed.

Andy

I said other. Working in retail should be on there, here's why:

1. Continuous loop of Christmas music

2. Extended hours

3. Customers that expect you to drop everything and put together outfits for them.

4. Continuous loop of Christmas music

5. bithy customers

1. I'm with you on that

2. Ehh, the hours are crappy enough anyway. Couldn't be much worse.

3. Well... No, but we don't do outfits, lol.

4. Oh yes...

5. That's all year-round. :(

Bad furday

I think it'd be funny if those who work swapped out the christmas music CD with the twangiest country CD you could find.... :p

Oh ....and instead of christmas, refer to it in its original Roman form of Saturnalia.... :twisted:

ie:

Prin (beaming): So...is the whole family coming over for Saturnalia?!

Customer: Uh......(nervously backs away)

Edited by Bad ?urday

Radioactive Isotope

i hate the capitilism of it all.

GI_Admiral

lol no offense to anyone here if I offend them but....

I also dislike how some people of religions who do not celebrate christmas complain that the schools are practicing religion by having a christmas tree deocrations or anything of that sort up. They make it worse by claiming that the schools trying to cram a religion down their throat :???:

TheUnknown

As an Atheist/Agnostic myself, I don't have a problem with trees, greenery, lights, etc. I find them to be of pagan origin and to symbolize the preservation of life throughout the winter. I do have a problem with mangers and stars.

Mickey

I think of christmas more as a celebration of the christian religion to which many of my family and ancestors believe in. its learning about a culture to me ... although I would have prefered to have seen in schools a presentation of more than one religious practice, instead of rounding us up in the cafigymatorium and having us sing about a baby jesus aroung a manger scene. That's pretty rough on a 5 year old atheist. To me I felt more forced into christianity from school than from even my uber-religious grandmother.

Tsl

It's kind of a bummer for those that do celebrate Christmas that we can't though. I understand that atheists don't wanna see mangers all over, but come on.

Mickey

I didn't mean to say I have a problem against people celebrating christmas ... I hope that wasn't my tone cause I don't mean it at all. I was just always bothered as a little child that I felt beleiving in the premise of christmas was forced on us with no other alternatives ... in school. I celebrate it, as an atheist, as a holiday of my heritage,

TheUnknown

To prevent an off-topic argument/discussion, I've changed the topic of the Debate Table to include this. Take all other discussion there.

Princess

Unknown, how can it be off topic? I don't see how this discussion is off topic, because it's about things that people don't like about Christmas

TheUnknown

I forsaw it eventually turning into a general discussion about the separation of church and state with regards to schools. Besides, I already knew that I was going to bring school prayer, etc. in my reply to TSL's post.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.