Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Internet Addicts Anonymous

Andy

Hello, my name is beeurd, and I've been addicted to the internet for 7 years.

I'm also bored.

lol, just wondering how everyone actually got into this whole crazy internet thing?

Way back in 1997 I was helping the IT department test their new networky stuff, including the internet and email! Whooo!

Twas on Acorn RISC PC600s with StrongARM processors... ooooh. (i think). I still believe that the Acorn computers were better than Windows and that, but unfortunatly it was Microsoft that got the links to IBM. lol.

Anyways that was how I got into the internet. I just used to basically browse through random sites back then. Didn't start chatting online until 2000 when I got my own comp from McDonalds money, really. lol.

My first email address was: a.beard@hagleyrc.demon.co.uk

But then they changed it to: yr94-beaand@hagleyrc.worcs.sch.uk

Then I got my hotmail account, still in 1997: blue_beard@hotmail.com

But over the 1998 school summor holidays the account got deactivated and someone pinched it, so I had to go for: green_beard@hotmail.com

There. As you can tell. I am bored. lol

Andy

Oh... Still bored:

In 1999 I made my first website hosted at angelfire. Go me!

In 2000 I first used the name beeurd, or as it was then: "bee-urd"

In 2001 I became a regular at the official Red Alert 2 forums, and then when I got pissed off with the mentality of some of the members and left, I join inGenNET (the web's biggest Jurassic Park network!)

Also in 2001, I made my first Star Wars forum, but then StarWars.com made theirs, so it died. lol.

And then I think you can work out the rest from 2002 onwards. :p

Bad furday

Yay, we're all a part of B's history! When he writes his memoirs, he'll have to include all of us! :D

Andy

Oh crap. Well that's never going to sell...

*throws away memoirs*

:p

chozen

StarWars.com was older than 2001.

I believe that's when I started going there... but never created an account until 2001/2

before i just went on amazon. poor, sad me. now everyone has the internet... nerfherders.

GreenEagle2005

i got hooked from school.

CorSec

E-mail. The grade six hotmail fad. Pre-msn? I dunno. It was useless. Anyway, when was it then...uhh....sometime...earlier than now. Ah. 1999. Probably.

Anyway, as I said. During grade six, 1999 at the time, there was a relatively 'cool' hotmail idea being passed around. At the time, e-mail content consisted of useless forwards, but I wasn't as PC-literate then, so I didn't realize it.

First E-mail: mcleod_am@hotmail.com

Spent some time there. Found the SWmb somewhow. Hotmail lead to MSN, though I didn't get it till later (saw it as useless till it was a requirement to join teh Corellian Crusaders). Spent a considerable time on Neopets. It's all so fuzzy now. heh. SWmb branched into the JPL, the RS Cantina, and here. To be honest, I have no idea how I spent my time before the internet.

Mara

I don't really remember how I started....

I know we had AOL at first.... and I had a mail.com e-mail account.... But before that I think I had an Internet class in ... 8th grade maybe? To teach us how to use it, but I already knew how.

First e-mail: penny10@mail.com (still active, please don't use it :p)

I think at first I used it to just browse, send e-mail though no one sent me stuff...and to do research.

Later my dad ditched AOL for Juno...

I would browse sw.com also.... around '98, '99 to check out TPM stuff.....and then later I joined in 2001..... posted on the boards summer/fall of 2002... then I got into IM's more.... (before that I only had my parents and sister on) ....added lots of people... (currently have over 70 contacts on MSN :p)

And now we dont' even have Juno anymore. ......now, ISP West or something...

Then later I got caught up in the message board thing...and later roleplaying...and now, I'm a crazy person. :p

That's about all I remember.... dunno what else.

Andy

StarWars.com was older than 2001.

Yes, but their forums weren't., which is what I was talking about.

I think it was 2001 they made them, anyway. 2001 or 2000. Either way I can remember the Cantina being less than one full page. :D

GI_Admiral

I dont need help!!! I can control it!!! Its just for fun!! I Swear!!! I can control i- *Starts to spasm, moves to computer and internet* ahhhhh.........

CorSec

Ever find yourself in the position where you articulate and re-organize your thoughts before posting?

Radioactive Isotope

i think i got hooked once i started posting at JPL.

Ana

Started using the net when I was about 8... so in 1996-ish. Mostly for research at first, but I always was on it. Got into email pretty late, maybe in 1999, first email was hestia@attbi.com, which I used for a long long time. Then in late 2001, got hooked on the SWMB, JPL in particular.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.