Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Canada 101

Drake

Hello class and welcome to Canada 101! :p

I know that some of you are interested in learning about Canada. I know Unknown, particularly, is interested in learning about our politics...so I'll try and answer some questions with this thread.

Whenever I work up the will to write it down, I'll post some information about different topics like history, politics, culture, etc.

Please, please, please, please stay on topic! Ask questions, if you have them but make sure they're relevant and not a waste of everyone's time. Thanks.

I'll post up a little history in a bit.

canada-flag.jpg

Alexander

My only basis of information on Canada is the movie Canadian Bacon.*

*I'm kidding.

Drake

A LITTLE HISTORY...

A Very Brief Pre-Confederacy History...

1497 - The New Found Land

John Cabot sails to an island off the coast of Canada, names it Newfoundland (very original, eh?), and claims it for the King of England.

1534 - The French Arrive

Jacques Cartier arrives and claims territory for the King of France, Francis I.

1603-08 - Quebec

In 1603, Samuel de Champlain and the French arrive in Canada. They explore the St. Lawrence area and settle in Port Royal, Quebec in 1604. Four years later, Champlain and the French settle and establish control of the territory in and around the Quebec. This colony is called New France.

1663 - The New France

The French establish the seigniorial system of land tenure, the Catholic Church and fur trade in the new territory.

1756-63 - Seven Years' War

The British capture the fortress of Louisbourg and control the entrance to New France. This leads to the capture of Quebec and the rest of New France by the British.

1763 - Sir Guy Carlton's Proposal

Sir Guy Carlton, British Governor of the province of Quebec (later to be made Lord Dorchester) proposes to the British Government that the predominantly French population in Quebec and surrounding places should be governed according to French laws.

1763 - The Royal Proclamation

King George III proclaims the formation of four colonies out of territories acquired during the Seven Years War: East Florida, West Florida, Grenada and Quebec. These colonies are to remain under British (political and religious) administration. The proclamation, however, contains a provision allowing for the formation of a civilian government as soon as conditions are favorable for such change.

1774 - The Quebec Act

The Quebec Act creates the colony of Quebec. Though the French are under British criminal law, they are able to practice French civil law and their Roman Catholic faith.

1775 - American Revolution

Americans attempt to overthrow British rule and the American Revolution begins. American army invades Canada, captures Montreal, beseiges Quebec City.

1776 - Independance

American army retreats from Quebec and Montreal. Americans break their ties with the British. Declaration of Independence is signed.

1777-81 - Loyalist Operations

Loyalists Regiments based at Montreal and Niagara conduct military operations against Northern and Western New York.

1783-91 - Loyalist Immigration

American Revolution ends with the establishment of the border between Canada and the United States. Loyalists (those who remain loyal to Britain) migrate from the colonies to Canadian borders.

1791 - Upper and Lower Canada

Lord Dorchester suggests dividing the province into Upper and Lower Canada. Upper Canada would be modelled after British society and Lower Canada would maintain the French language civil law and religious institutions. The Constitutional Act, 1791, establishes this division allowing for the formation of local governments. General Frederick Haldimand, governor of Quebec, decides to open up lands in the West for Loyalists.

That's it for now...I gotta go so I'll put up the rest of pre-Confederacy history later.

Roethlisberger

And Canada continues to have a boring history forever more...

j/k :p

Andy

At least it has a history :p

Roethlisberger

You're saying America doesn't????

:eek:

chozen

I do believe he is.. saying that America doesn't have an interesting unique history, unlike the rest of the developed world. I do believe he is trying to say that America's interesting facts are really other countries historical history ness.. I do believe he is saying that America sucks and that their pointless president elections are pointless and should be kept of GB.

Roethlisberger

I do believe he is.. saying that America doesn't have an interesting unique history, unlike the rest of the developed world. I do believe he is trying to say that America's interesting facts are really other countries historical history ness.. I do believe he is saying that America sucks and that their pointless president elections are pointless and should be kept of GB.

And I believe you're wrong. Ever study American history chozen?

chozen

Hey? Who said I sided with Beeurd's leet fanatical ideals? I'm just stating what I see.

Beeurd, you've been a very naughty boy. :p

Ever study American history chozen?

yes.. well.. no.. well.. yeah no yeah. but.. no.. i started to.. but fell asleep somewhere around Boston.

chozen

yourself?

CorSec

Grah...teh history. Grades seven and eight come back to haunt me.

Drake

This got off topic rather quickly...as I figured it would. :roll:

Drake

The War of 1812

British colonies in the east of Canada found themselves involved with the United States in a new war that threatened to end their existence under the English flag. The declaration of war announced by the United States had several causes. Chief among these was Britain's insistence on its right to search American vessels for deserters from its own navy during the war against Napoleon. In addition, England had interfered with American trade with Europe. It was claimed too that the British in Canada had been inciting the Indians against the American settlements along the northwestern frontier.

The early hopes of the United States to drive the British entirely from North America were dashed by a series of defeats at the hands of British regulars and Canadian militia forces. Fort Michilimackinac, at the entrance to Lake Michigan, was captured by the British soon after the outbreak of fighting and was not recaptured during the remainder of the war. An American attack across the Detroit border was not only forced back but, under the brilliant generalship of Gen. Isaac Brock, ably assisted by the Shawnee chieftain Tecumseh and his warriors, was turned into a disastrous defeat. The army defending Detroit was forced to surrender, and the fort itself fell into British hands. Later the same year, the United States launched an attack on the Niagara frontier. Brock was killed early during the fighting at Queenston Heights, but the invasion was repulsed.

A Unified Country

In 1840 the Act of Union was passed. It became effective the next year and joined Upper and Lower Canada under a central government. Henceforth the two colonies were to be known simply as Canada West and Canada East, respectively. There was to be an appointed upper chamber, or legislative council, in the new government as well as an assembly composed of the same number of elected members from each of the two old colonies. The seat of government was established at Kingston; but after 1844 it was moved to Montreal, then back and forth between Toronto and Quebec, and finally to Ottawa in 1865.

The Colonies Grow Up

In the meantime Canada was swelling with settlers, and the foundations of a British province on the west coast were being laid. A flood of newcomers began to arrive after the War of 1812, mostly from the British Isles. About 800,000 immigrants came to Canada between 1815 and 1850, sometimes spoken of as the period of the Great Migration.

I'll get to the Constitution and Dominion stuff next...

Ana

Well, this is GB... :roll:

And this is also sorta off topic, but I've been sort of interested in getting a Canadian history high school or college textbook to read, just to see how events differ in the view angle from American textbooks. Can you recommend either a specific book or a publisher that makes textbooks so I could order one from Amazon?

Drake

Uhhhh...I'm afraid I'm no scholar when it comes to textbooks. :red:

I can look around at some bookstores up here for you and then mail it to you, if you want. Maybe I'll get you what my dad got for Tsl's dad when they came up here to visit....Canadian History for Dummies. :p

GI_Admiral

We burned down Quebecs parliment building in 1812 at the start. Thats why they burned our Whitehouse and legistlative buildings down in retaliation.....Then they got pwn3d by mother nature.

Princess

I do believe he is saying that America sucks and that their pointless president elections are pointless and should be kept of GB.

Whatever happened to not flaming other countries?

GI_Admiral

Its chozen...when has he ever followed the rules?

Alexander

Well, if we can't bash countries, can we bash continents?

Princess

No

chozen

I checked the rules and found this..

Keep it clean!

We want to keep GB open to everyone, regardless of age, keep the adult stuff where it belongs. There is a swear filter in place - please do not try to bypass this filter, although self-censoring is acceptable.

:/

Well, if we can't bash countries, can we bash continents?

.. euroasia rules, amasiah sucks..

CorSec

Uhhhh...I'm afraid I'm no scholar when it comes to textbooks. 

I can look around at some bookstores up here for you and then mail it to you, if you want

Our grade ten textbook was spiffy. Though it only covered ....hmm...Laurier years to present day. (mostly)

If you're schooling was like mine Drake, then we did all the early exploration and colony stuff in Grade seven. And then moved onto confederation and stuffs in grade eight. And then returned to history in Grade Ten to do the rest...up to now.

What that means is, any Ontario textbooks on the earlier Canadian history would be shifted towards a grade seven or eight student, and would lack a certain amount of detail or complexity. *shrug*

Well, it was interpretation of beeurds comment. There was no indication of personal opinion.

Andy

I checked the rules and found this..

Keep it clean!

We want to keep GB open to everyone, regardless of age, keep the adult stuff where it belongs. There is a swear filter in place - please do not try to bypass this filter, although self-censoring is acceptable.

:/

And underneath that:

This is a flame-free zone!

It would be most appreciated if you could take care not to cause trouble or stir up heated arguments with other members on the forums. Personal grievances should be dealt with in private, not where it will disrupt other members' fun.

Oh, and just to clear that up, It was a joke ( hence the :p ) made in response to a joke Fett made.

So there. :p

chozen

Guidlines beeurd... Guidlines. hehe..

Andy

Yes... You must all follow teh Guidlines. Speelign not included. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.