Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Presidential Debate At 9pm On Cspan

TheUnknown

Just to remind anyone who cares.

Princess

I was going to say that this should be in the election thread, but the debate is a big thing, SO, this thread is for discussion of the debate, and ONLY of the debate.

Chickenman

Just to remind anyone who cares.

I care. But not enough to watch.

Radioactive Isotope

i find CSPAN to be the best cure for insomnia since my biology book.

Andy

Oh, so that's what Pod was on about running off to watch.

Princess

My favorite line so far:

Moderator :"Mr. Senator, what collossal misjudgements do you think President Bush has made?"

Senator Kerry: "Where do you want me to begin?"

Chickenman

rofl

Ender

Mine:

John Kerry: It's wrong for the troops to have body armor!

Andy

LOL.

Princess

Bush: "of course we're after Saddam Huessein, er Bin Laden"

And Ender, he was talking about their PARENTs having to buy body armor

Radioactive Isotope

*shakes head* they're both digging mighty big hole for themselves, aren't they?

Roethlisberger

Most repeated line:

Bush: Wrong place, wrong time, wrong war.

So is the president going to do anything but attack Kerry for changing his mind after learning more details?

Uncle Du

Well, here's my fav...

President Bush: "The only thing my opponent is consistent with is being inconsistent."

Hehe.

Chickenman

Most repeated lines:

Bush: Kerry has been inconsistent.

Bush: I won't change my values for politics.

He must have said both of these 7 times already.

Here's my take so far:

Kerry has been good, has been jabbing Bush in all the right places. Isn't flip flopping, he's doing okay.

Bush is also doing well. To me, Kerry looks a bit stronger right now, but that could just be my personal feeling for the candidates. They're both holding out well. I think Bush keeps using the same arguments a couple times, but you don't exactly have a ton of time to think of something diffrent, so that's acceptable. They both look strong right now, but I think Bush is slipping a tad.

Alexander

It's a scripted debate, not worth my time.

TheUnknown

It's over. Both did well. Both had some squirming. I think Kerry won. Bush got flustered a lot.

Princess

I thought that President Bush was very repetitive. He did not lay out his plans for the future like Senator Kerry did. Senator Kerry laid out his 4 step plan to reduce our responsibility to Iraq which I think was a good thing. I'm ready to see debates about health care and the economy though. And it doesn't really look that good (to me) for Senator Edwards to comment and VP Cheney to decline to comment

TheUnknown

Remember, there are three more debates scheduled. The VP debate is Tuesday. There is also a Town Hall-style debate this Friday. Finally, there is another Presidential debate on October 13. The theme of this one will be domestic policy, so health care will be brought up.

Andy

All political debates arethe same, IMO.

GI_Admiral

Alexander: Not as scripted, They did not know of the questions in advanced.

Most used lines:

Bush:

"It's hard work" [About Iraq rebuilding]

"Wrong war, wrong place, wrong time" [About Iraq War]

Kerry:

"90% of the casualties, 90% of the cost' [About Iraq]

I believe Kerry looked way more composed. They both made big errors that could undermine them, but in the end Kerry came out on top. Nothing big enough though to change the tide...perhaps at most a 1-2% change in polls.

Drake

I was too busy watching Stargate to care. :p

Tsl

I only got to see a bit of it :(

From what I saw, both of them were doing really well and making good points and rebuttals, but the biggest difference between the two was that Bush was very one-track minded and repetitve, often going back to terrorism whether it was pertinant or not, while Kerry was better at staying on track with actually answering the questions.

Bush made an excellent move by complimenting Kerry on his military service, after all those stupid swift boat ads.

Uncle Du

I thought that President Bush was very repetitive. He did not lay out his plans for the future like Senator Kerry did. Senator Kerry laid out his 4 step plan to reduce our responsibility to Iraq which I think was a good thing. I'm ready to see debates about health care and the economy though. And it doesn't really look that good (to me) for Senator Edwards to comment and VP Cheney to decline to comment

Actually, when Kerry was posed the question about pulling troops out of Iraq, he turned around and said that he wouldn't pull them out right away, like he has stated in the past. He said that we could start bringing them home within six months if his outline was followed.

Herein lies the essential problem with having a major election every four years. It takes much longer to establish policies that will have a good effect on our country. The current President may have a good idea for our economy or whatever, but the timeline runs out ten or more years. Then, we get a new President, and of course they have their own ideas about how things should be. It's a vicious circle. And there we have the fundamental flaw in our system.

But trust me, I'd rather have it this way than a dictatorship. :p

chozen

Eh. It's a press show.. Like the whole running for candidate.

chozen

.. and presidency for that matter.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.