Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Bushy

Guns

Bushy

I know what you're thinking... No, this topic isn't to see who has the best weapons. I'd like to hear everyone's view on the ownership of weapons in general, and in particular, guns. I know lots of people are all up in arms (ha, no pun intended...) about all the weapons that people own. So, I shall express my views. Please feel free to do the same.

Oh I wouldn't go that far. We don't walk into schools and shoot our classmates. Possibly because we don't have guns lying about everywhere, but that's a different topic...

It ain't the gun, it's the persone who pulls the trigger. And in the case of children, it's the parent's fault for not teching their child about gun safety, and/or keeping their weapons secured in a gun safe. My family owns a hell of a lot of weapons. But they're all locked in a safe, except for the Shotgun on the fireplace, and the SKS in my room, and the ammunition is hidden somewhere else. Besides myself and my parents, nobody else knows where the key or the ammunition is. Plus, my dad is a Marine, so he taught us all about weapon safety, and STRESSED it so hard that I don't think we'll ever forget it. Nobody in my family would dare take down one of the guns in our house and play with it. They fear the weapon's capability, and treat it with respect. And even if they wanted to do someting with a gun, they couldn't because the ammunition is in a seprate location. That's gun safety, and it's a good thing. Just like teaching kids not to run with scisors, or to hold a knife properly. Common sense. Brains. Good things.

And here's my biggest problem with the people who want to make it illegal for civilans to own weapons. Criminals usually obtain illegal weapons, i.e., automatic weapons (not leagal in the US). If guns are banned, what's to stop them from getting weapons the same way they originally did? And when they do obtain those weapons, which they will, us civilians will have less means to defend ourselves. How retarted is that. Only a moron would do that... Now granted, it would stop a lot of ignorant people from doing things they're not supposed to do with guns, but again I return to my point of being responsible. If parents who own guns would only teach their children about gun safety, or better yet, don't even tell your child you own a gun untill they're old enough, and mature and responsible enough to know. And keep the weapon locked up, and the key in a safe spot. It's just plain common sense. If you leave a gun out in the open, then obviously a curious child, seeing what's on TV nowadays, will want to use it. Duh. People just need to start using their brains. It's out first amendment right to bear arms, the purpose being to protect ourselves and to hunt for food.

A gun is a weapon, no different from a knife, or any other object that can be used for murder. And a weapon is only effective when in the hands of a boodthirsty or ignorant person.

Ok, go ahead and pick apart my post to your little hearts' content :D

Edited by Bushy

Radioactive Isotope

actually, it's the second amendment that's the right to bear arms. other than that teensy thing, i'm inclined to agree with you. outlawing weapons wouldn't solve much of anything. it would also take another constitutional amendment, which i seriously doubt Congress would pass anyway.

Pandora

Taking away guns, in my opinion (be it ever so humble, loud, and controversial) is just another way to take the blame off of cold-hearted, blood-thirsty, sick, twisted, and horribly disgusting soccar moms that shoot their children. Okay, so that's a bit of an extreme example, but the point is the same.

They took away everyone's guns in Europe and crime skyrocketed.

Bushy

First, second, what's the difference.

Heheh, oops... Wasn't paying attention there.

GI_Admiral

Ok, go ahead and pick apart my post to your little hearts' content

With Pleasure!

It ain't the gun, it's the persone who pulls the trigger. And in the case of children, it's the parent's fault for not teching their child about gun safety, and/or keeping their weapons secured in a gun safe. My family owns a hell of a lot of weapons. But they're all locked in a safe, except for the Shotgun on the fireplace, and the SKS in my room, and the ammunition is hidden somewhere else. Besides myself and my parents, nobody else knows where the key or the ammunition is. Plus, my dad is a Marine, so he taught us all about weapon safety, and STRESSED it so hard that I don't think we'll ever forget it. Nobody in my family would dare take down one of the guns in our house and play with it. They fear the weapon's capability, and treat it with respect. And even if they wanted to do someting with a gun, they couldn't because the ammunition is in a seprate location. That's gun safety, and it's a good thing. Just like teaching kids not to run with scisors, or to hold a knife properly. Common sense. Brains. Good things.

And here's my biggest problem with the people who want to make it illegal for civilans to own weapons. Criminals usually obtain illegal weapons, i.e., automatic weapons (not leagal in the US). If guns are banned, what's to stop them from getting weapons the same way they originally did? And when they do obtain those weapons, which they will, us civilians will have less means to defend ourselves. How retarted is that. Only a moron would do that... Now granted, it would stop a lot of ignorant people from doing things they're not supposed to do with guns, but again I return to my point of being responsible. If parents who own guns would only teach their children about gun safety, or better yet, don't even tell your child you own a gun untill they're old enough, and mature and responsible enough to know. And keep the weapon locked up, and the key in a safe spot. It's just plain common sense. If you leave a gun out in the open, then obviously a curious child, seeing what's on TV nowadays, will want to use it. Duh. People just need to start using their brains. It's out first amendment right to bear arms, the purpose being to protect ourselves and to hunt for food.

A gun is a weapon, no different from a knife, or any other object that can be used for murder. And a weapon is only effective when in the hands of a boodthirsty or ignorant person.

Now...first, your whole post is about responsibility...c'mon Bushy...its the USA...you know a lot of us aren't responsible...you might deny it...but you know deep down...we're a country full of idiots. ((Reflected by different public positions)). Sure...some good citizens like your family might teach children about guns and gun safety. But for every one of you, there are alot of others, who don't give a sith, they'll keep their guns around the house loaded safety off, and they'll have kids running around while they chug a 6-pack. They'll never change. If we were all like your family ((as in we teach gun safety and are responsible citizens)) then crime would go down too...because being responsible we would teach respect for the law. Obesity would go down because you would be taught respect for your body. This would go down for that and so on and so on. The bottom line is: People are stupid. That is my biggest argument for Gun Banning ((Which I'm actually against. Just playing Devils Advocate here...I also agree with you about the criminals, but all in all this is one of the issues I choose to just dismiss...))

Bushy

Taking away everybody's privelages because a few people are freaking idiots is not the way to solve the issues, in my experiences. You have to attack the heart of the issue. Which, in this case, is irresponsibility. I do agree with you though that Americans in general are complete morons, and don't use their heads for anything other than figuring out what soap to watch.

Notice I said "in general". ;)

GI_Admiral

Oh believe me...its not just a couple who are irresponsible...it's a lot :p

Besides, the US is attacking the problem. Guns = common weapons to kill people....US = try to get rid of gun.

((Btw who here has seen "Bowling for Columbine"? Those crazy canadians :p))

Bushy

Hey, I just realized I met you before. At the SWMB. Yeah, I remember Corran bringing in some "friend" from BaC before. GI_Admiral. Yeah. That's where I remember you from.

.....right...?

GI_Admiral

omg h4><!

Princess

:offtopic:

Bushy

No kidding.

GI_Admiral

When are we ever on topic prin?

GI_Admiral

sorry sorry

Princess

I'm gonna let Aurelius yell at you guys :p

Bushy

mmm hmm, that's nice...

Aurelius

Ok guys enough.

I can tolerate a little bit of this but I've had enough. And if anything its rude to the people who dont know anything about Leet Speak. Please keep it to your PM's or elsewhere.

Bushy

Well fine.

So much for my thread. :roll:

Edited by Bushy

Andy

Geez, I'll just do the mods jobs again :p

*separates teh l337ness*

Andy

Anyways back on topic: IMO, the fact that you allow people to carry guns is half the problem. But it would be difficult to change that now because it has become part of your culture, would be like trying to ban tea in England, or ban eating snails in France, lol.

Over here we have much stricter gun laws, and while we do have some gun crime in cities it isn't a hugely widespread problem. The normal everyday police officer doesn't even carry a gun, although there are special units that are armed for particular jobs, especially as the threat of terrorist attacks has risen since 11 September 2001.

There used to be a gun shop in my town, but it closed down years ago. There is another similar shop in the bigger town next to mine which sells rifles which are mainly bought by farmers to protect their land from predators like foxes etc.

I do not know anyone over here that owns a gun.

Pandora

Many, many, many people own guns in America, yes. Especially here in the south. (Must have something to shoot deer with, afterall). My mother and both her brothers grew up with guns. If it weren't for my Dad's distaste of firearms, I would have been rised with guns too. And I wish I had been, to be honest.

My state requires civilians to carry a permit if they're going to carry a gun. Smart move, I think. Considering Memphis is one of the most violent cities in Tennessee, and shootings are rare, I'd say it's a bit of a comfort.

The answer is not outlawing guns. It's making it just a little harder to carry them, such as administering classes and tests much like a driver's test. Yes, guns are a lethal weapon. But knowing and learning to properly handle them will teach the same kind of responsibility a self-defense class would. Understanding the power to literally take a life will make you respect that power, and thus make the wielder more responsible, and viola. You have personal responsibility.

It's already illegal to murder someone. YOu have to remember that the ratio of deaths caused by irresponsibility with a gun to those deaths that aren't is similar to that of creeps on the internet to innocents online. The vast majority aren't doing anything wrong, but it's those few wrong-doers and law-breakers that you hear about.

TheUnknown

I know I don't say this often and when I do, church attendence increases because it appears the Apocalypse is coming. But I agree with Pod.

1. Guns should not be banned. The people have a right to own a gun for the purpose of hunting, protection, or sport just as much as they have a right to say that Bush is an idiot and pray to Allah.

2. However, one does not need an assault rifle, a machine gun, or a bazooka to protect yourself or hunt. These weapons and the ammunition for them should be completely banned.

3. To buy a gun, you should have to submit to a background check that includes a check on your criminal record and any history of mental illness.

4. You should have to get a permit to buy a gun.

5. To get a permit, you should pass a class on gun safety that includes sections on locks.

6. Gun sellers should be liscensed to sell firearms (or any weapons for that matter). Failure to carry out background checks or trying to get around the rules should result in stiff penalties, including possibly a permanent suspension of that liscence.

Radioactive Isotope

2. However, one does not need an assault rifle, a machine gun, or a bazooka to protect yourself or hunt. These weapons and the ammunition for them should be completely banned.

except in the army. ;)

i think most places do require gun dealers to be licesensed, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to get a gun on the black market.

chozen

And I wish I had been, to be honest.

Why's that?

Anyway, I agree with Pod and Unknown on this topic.

Besides which, I believe people in urban areas do not need the right to own a gun, no deers, of any sort. Following on, I believe all handguns should be illegal, there's no need fo rthem, who uses a handgun to kill a deer?

Bushy

A lot of people hunt with handguns, and some people use them to kill snakes and rodents and such.

To touch on the subject of weapons permits...

I heartily agree. Here in NJ, you can get your firearms permit once you turn 18, but you have to go through all these background checks, fingerprint testing, etc.. Everything is scrutinized, even traffic tickets that you got years ago. Also, you need to obtain a seprate permit to purchase handguns. I would imaging that in the more densly populated states, permits are required, and I think it's a great thing.

chozen

People do hunt with handguns, but there's no need for them to do it, you can easily hunt such things with a rifle.

Hadguns are the robbers choice, nothing more.

Also, the number of guns should be quite limited. I don't think there's any need for someone to own more than 15 guns.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.