Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Pandora

Web Site Affiliations

Pandora

Alright, so Friday I spent five hours working on my site, and it's well on its way to being really good, as far as free sites go, anyway. BUt you probably don't realize how much it's grown in content, judging by my hit counter *coughs*. It's gotten so big, I have three sites I have to link together. If I can get enough traffic, then I'll upgrade, and knock off those pesky ads, but right now it's just not worth it.

What I'm asking is, if you have a website of ANY kind, I'm looking for some site owners and webmasters to affiliate with, and with which to set up links. It would get more traffic on both of our sites, especially if I can get a bunch of sites to agree to this. In the long run, it would be beneficial to everyone involved.

If you haven't seen it before or in a while, you can see here that it's really growing into a nice site. Some of my plans for the future are message boards, more easily interactive features (as opposed to only a guestbook and email), and upgrading to an ad-free site with more bandwidth, if I can get enough traffic. If you're interested, let me know!

Tsl

Hey, if you're interested I have a couple tips for you.

For one thing, your backgrounds are very busy and interfere with the text on your pages. It's usually recommended that you use a solid color for website backgrounds. Also, it's recommended that you use the same background and general layout on all of your pages to give the website a more unified look.

Another thing is your links. It would be nice if you had some way of putting them at the side of the page or maybe at the top so that people can see that you have alot of content and what all you have to offer right off. It's just one of those convienence, user friendly things.

I like that you put the date last updated up. That's definitely a good thing that shows viewers that you care about the site and are working on it.

For some reason, and it could just be my monitor, your whole page is off-center. You might look into centering the top banner and pics. I'm not sure why your text isn't going all the way across the page, unless you have it in a table. If so, you might try specifying table width by percentage instead of pixels, so people with dinky little screens like me can see it ok :p

Anyways, these are just things I picked up from people critiquing my site, and from reading up on web design. Obviously your website is yours to make anyway you like.

Annnnd...I wouldn't mind putting up a link on the non-bird related section of my links page on my Tiel Crest site, so long as you haven't got anything dirty on there (didn't see anything, so I doubt you do :p). :)

Oh yes! One more thing... I used to use Geocities (aka Geocrap :p), and they have the crappiest servers ever! Try using http://www.t35.com 's free hosting instead. They rock! ^^

Oh...and don't upgrade! Their pay service is a rip off! You can get much cheaper hosting at alot of other places. What they charge for a very basic, crappy service is what most other places charge for their premium packages! :eek:

Edited by Tsl

Pandora

Nothing dirty that I can think of, so it's cool with me. I need to start a links page. And I'll definitely look into that other hosting. Geocities is crap, but it was the easiest thing I found. I'm a lot better at it now.

And, no, it's not your monitor. I can't get ANYTHING to center. Using pagebuilder, bleh.

Tsl

Oh no! Pagebuilder is Satan in HTML form! hehe, get a book on how to learn HTML at your library. It's really alot easier than you'd think. Heck, if I could learn it well enough to make a page, anybody can! :)

Pandora

:lol: When I started with Pagebuilder, I didn't have a CLUE how to make a page PERIOD.

Radioactive Isotope

i tried using Pagebuilder. hated it. but i'm taking a web design class next year, so maybe i'll get unlazy and get a site up.

Pandora

i signed up for t35, just waiting on a confirmation...

Mara

Links, huh?

I have a proboards message board... Not sure if it's quite the site you're looking for.

Pandora

If it has traffic, it'll work.

Mara

Ummm.... It's not exactly full all the time....

But it has had a slight resurgence as of late.

But perhaps I should check with my fellow admins and mods before advertising.

Will you need a banner or something also?

Pandora

uhhhhhh don't know yet. Probably not, it takes up a lot of space that i don't currently have. I'm trying to get t35, but having a very bad time of it.

CorSec

Well, Pod, if your up to it, you could always check out MS Frontpage. I use it...works well for me. Blends the code and the graphical interface (aka, super duper page builder) nicely. That way, you can create your .htm files and then upload them to whatever your server and go to town. The only problem would be the cost.

Meh, it's an option...

Tsl

I've heard really bad things about FrontPage...but I don't use it, so I dunno. Lol. I think it's easy enough to just write the page myself using pretty tables :p

chozen

FrontPage is nifty.. Nice and simple.. I dunno about dreamweaver.. suppose to be pretty cool, too.

Andy

I used to use FrontPage at school... Then I realised it was doing weird things in the HTML code that made the file almost twice as big as it needed to be.

Now I type up my HTML myself in a plain text editor (eg: Notepad).

Pandora

Okay, yeah, Beeurd, if I KNEW HTML, that would be wonderfully simple. But I don't, so it's not.

Mara

Yeah, I used Dreamweaver for my page we had to make for a class....

Sorry, but my admins don't seem to be responding... I'll give 'em a couple more days, then let you know about the url.

CorSec

I used to use FrontPage at school... Then I realised it was doing weird things in the HTML code that made the file almost twice as big as it needed to be.

Now I type up my HTML myself in a plain text editor (eg: Notepad).

Bigger...yes...but not twice as big....meh

I could always do it in Notepad. But that requires work. And....work...and time...

Drake

*revives*

And now to actually get on topic...

I have added GB.net to the Sith Allies (forum affiliates) page in the Sith Dominion! Found here.

Andy

I'll get round to doing GBs links page sometime...

Andy

Oooh, never been described as nifty before! :D

Thankses to you D and T!

Drake

No problem, B! :)

jedimaster1043

I have a website. I get barely any traffic. So it wouldnt help u. if i had a counter it would probably read 10 or something and ive had it for a while

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.