Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

MsSolo

Random Rant and venting thread for general or specific rage

Pandora

Jaina, I've tried to get a teacher REPRIMANDED. It doesn't work. We called the principle (A spineless moron!), the Superintendent (i still loathe that man), we even went so far as to write SEVERAL letters to our STATE REPRESENTATIVE! Nothing.And the woman still teaches. Heard she had like five strokes last year though....

Hal, MsSolo, I feel like an idiot-- I have NO clue what y'all are talking about! All I get is dress codes and uniforms outta that. Or, maybe that's b/c I'm American. (whcihc brings me to my next rant:)

:angry: I HATE BEING CONFINED TO THIS STUPID, :angry: BORING, :angry: DUMB, :angry: HICK-FILLED, :angry: REDNECK TOWN!!!!!!! :angry: I WANT TO MOVE!!! :angry: MY GEOGRAPHY TEACHER TELLS US THAT THERE'S A WORLD OUT THERE, :angry: BUT I CAN'T SEE IT! :angry:

Hal, Beeurd, MsSolo, and the rest of you from England: you are my ONLY :angry: link to a world that isn't mine. :angry: Y'all must think we're totally clueless, don't you? It's okay, I won't get mad. you can say it: we're pathetic. :angry:

:angry: We are too wrapped up in the past! WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!? :angry: LIVE AND LET LIVE! :angry: WHY SHOULD WE CARE WHAT THE NEXT PERSON IS DOING!?!? :angry: IT DOESN'T MATTER! :angry: LET'S STOP PLAYING THE 'BLAME GAME'! IT'S GETTING REALLY OLD! :angry: ! :angry: ! :angry: !

It's not like that in England, is it? Hope not. I want to move there. :???: You know, here, we learn about how other countries have a rich culture and are proud of it; they never ONCE mention an American culture. :???: When y'all are taking Geography and learning about us, what kind of stuff is it they teach you? I mean, is the American Revolution taught defferntly? Is it seen as a loss, or what?

Oh well, I feel better. :beer: Now i REALLY feel better!

=*Commander*=

original.jpgtwisty.jpg

parody.jpgcontrib.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: podracer838 on 2002-04-25 22:07 ]

Bad furday

Come to New York podracer. After all, it IS the Empire State! :grin:

Master Yoda

Look it up, you could. We have to wear horrible starched uniforms, and they ITCH!

Starstripe

Ouch, starchy uniforms, baaaad. we have no dress code to speak of, just, you know, no bikinis in winter, etc. *thinks* not that you'd want to wear skimpy clothes in winter here, you would freeze your *ss off.

Can't say I know what you mean about being confined, but hey, I don't live where you do, I live in the 'city of the golden gate' Hate that name though. What do the English get taught about our revolution? Care to fill us in?

^Hal^

Hal, MsSolo, I feel like an idiot-- I have NO clue what y'all are talking about! All I get is dress codes and uniforms outta that. Or, maybe that's b/c I'm American. (whcihc brings me to my next rant:)

:anger:I HATE BEING CONFINED TO THIS STUPID, :anger: BORING, :anger: DUMB, :anger: HICK-FILLED, :anger: REDNECK TOWN!!!!!!! :anger: I WANT TO MOVE!!! :anger: MY GEOGRAPHY TEACHER TELLS US THAT THERE'S A WORLD OUT THERE, :anger: BUT I CAN'T SEE IT! :anger:

Hal, Beeurd, MsSolo, and the rest of you from England: you are my ONLY :anger: link to a world that isn't mine. :anger: Y'all must think we're totally clueless, don't you? It's okay, I won't get mad. you can say it: we're pathetic. :anger:

:anger: We are too wrapped up in the past! WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!? :anger: LIVE AND LET LIVE! :anger: WHY SHOULD WE CARE WHAT THE NEXT PERSON IS DOING!?!? :anger: IT DOESN'T MATTER! :anger: LET'S STOP PLAYING THE 'BLAME GAME'! IT'S GETTING REALLY OLD! :anger: ! :anger: ! :anger: !

It's not like that in England, is it? Hope not. I want to move there. :???: You know, here, we learn about how other countries have a rich culture and are proud of it; they never ONCE mention an American culture. :???: When y'all are taking Geography and learning about us, what kind of stuff is it they teach you? I mean, is the American Revolution taught defferntly? Is it seen as a loss, or what?

Oh well, I feel better. :beer: Now i REALLY feel better!

hmmm.... England does have its bad parts, like every place. We can't get public transport right at all (trains are always 10 min late, buses are disgustingly dirty etc).

The English education system is better than the american one, especially if you go to private school. And there's less pressure around things like school dances and stuff (well, at least where I live anyway). There are still stupid people here, and if you do come here, you woould probably be teased a bit for being american. There's this kind of stereotype that implies that americans are a bit clueless, like you say they are.

The American Revolution? We aren't taught it at all. We're taught the American Civil War. Generally, the American Revolution isn't seen as a loss (we did lose, obviously), but we recognise the fact that we were in the wrong, so we see it as a victory of the right side, if you see what i mean.

MsSolo

The only refernece we ever got the the revolution, or poss the civil war (never actually done either, I wasn't even certain you'd had both until I was watching 'hysteria' before school this morning), was that it was one of the contributing factors to the French Revolution.

As I mentioned with the 'Bushisms' book, the english do tend to have a bit of a poor view of the average intelligence of americans. The average english person walks 3 miles a week, the avergae american 100 yards! Another english stereotype of americans is as either obese or anorexic, due to the copious amounts of junk food consumed. The only american's I've met were pertty average, but then, they were all living in england! ;)

Bill Bryson's books are worth checking out for Uk.USA comparisons. An American in England and an Englishman in America.

English public transport - argh. NHS - hmm, would it be pushing ti to allow a sliver of hope that is might actually start getting better now money's actually going in? Schools - I think we def have the jump on you here; I've heard that British Uni degrees are looked on as better than American ones by US employers, except for Havard and Yale which rival our Cabridge and Oxford. Govt - IMHO, I prefer the british, since our Prime Minister doesn't have nearly as much power as your president and there's more than two main parties (Lib Dems actually beat Conservatives here in surrey, no one's beaten them for over a century in Surrey!). Also, we have a green party, while your president is backed by oil companies (don't put a tiger in your tank!) and refused to sign that enviromental agreement. A lot of people were mad about that and most of Europe was quite prepared to gang up on the US until sep11. Shame your so self-sufficient, ironic that if you weren't the world's largest consumers of oil you would be completely independent!

Rogue

I live in Dullsville NJ....

Home of Morons....

Dumb blondes (an attitude, has nothing to do with hair color!)

Jocks,

Cheerleaders (yuk),

Popular crowds...(hate that!)

losers(only because of the popular peeps thoughts)

Perkiness...(scary sometimes)

Ugh!

MsSolo

D,Don't tell me... we're right? We, the british, are actually right? Well there's a suprise (sarcasm ;) )

What do Americans think of the Brits? What's your stereotype of us. No, gasp, Jolly Hockey Sticks, Lashings of Ginger beer, oh Jubilate! (Enid Blyton, grr)

^Hal^

On 2002-04-25 20:46, ROGUEeleven (Sticks) wrote:

I live in Dullsville NJ....

Home of Morons....

Dumb blondes (an attitude, has nothing to do with hair color!)

Jocks,

Cheerleaders (yuk),

Popular crowds...(hate that!)

losers(only because of the popular peeps thoughts)

Perkiness...(scary sometimes)

Ugh!

Yeah, we don't get so much of that around here. there are some real nerds around, and then there are the pikeys (don't worry, slang term. People who wander around with knives because they think it makes them "hard" or something)

Bad furday

They sound like nasty chaps to me!

MsSolo

knives? And to think I had pikies down as a bunch of Shazzas and Gazzas.

^Hal^

they are. But most gazzas carry knives. The knife-weilding non-gazzas are pikeys, but kinda fringe. If you see what I mean

MsSolo

My sister said the other day that she could identify a private school kid from some1 who goes to a state school. More extremes in dress and tastes at a state school in a desire to stand out and be independent while being part of a select group, more of a desire to conform and not offend at a private school

^Hal^

hmmm.. I'd say that isn't right. Following the crowd is a natural human reflex, so people at private schools and state schools should be roughly the same..

MsSolo

Have u actually taken a look out of your school windows? Every1 conforms, but differently. You get small groups of freinds all dressing the same and into the same music. And all groups completely different and involved in a sort of 'cool' war with each other.

sarah

On 2002-04-24 00:55, Ana Blue wrote:

We have a really loose dress code-- no gang symbols or outfits that are unnesseccarily revealing. However, if they don't find a tube top over a sports bra and showing off your b u t t-crack offensive, they will find nothing offensive at all. It's so hot, some of girls are bikini tops and short shorts, and some of them do NOT have the bodies for it. I think I'm going to go blind soon.

That sounds just like my school.

^Hal^

hmmm....not really.

It was like that a couple of years ago. We literally had a class war in our class. I was effectively the leader of one side, and this other guy (now expelled, which is what ended the conflict) was the leader of the other. It never got violent, but it was quite an interesting war of words..

MsSolo

we have some girls in my class that bicker a lot and call each other b1tches fro various reasons, but we don't fight much. We're not a united class, but we're not disunited (is that even a word?)

I worked it out the otehr day, since yr7 we've lost 7 people and gained 4 in my class. Started with 24 (23 two days later!) and now have 21. We also deserve a prize for being the class with the most pyschiatric cases.

Pandora

I don't know of a lot of English stereotypes here. Well... let's see.... The incredibly ignorant can't understand a word you you say. I tell them they're stupid cuz they can't understand English (and they are.).

Umm... I guess since president Bush said that Britain is the best friend America has, it pretty much got rid of a lot of negativity. (After we stared bombing Afghanistan, everyone kinda started to pay attention to the most powerful man in the world! and he is, check your world government books).

I think I've heard someone say that English are kinda stuck-up and arrogant. But, I can't remember who it was that said that...)

Hmmm... the war-mongers (a much smaller minority that you'd think) say that y'all are weak, and we could kick your butts in a straight war. (which is mostly based on the American Revolution) Which is not completely true. Are military is only SLIGHTLY stronger, but our hands are tied by politics and the Constitution (that thing REALLY needs another Amendment to fix that!).

After Clinton, we don't really look up to our president as an inspiration or anything. I'd imagine that y'all really look up to the Royal Family. And just so y'all know, it was all over the news when she died. A lot more people than you would think were actually sad. (see, we really do respect you guys!)

And the thing about Americans being obese, it's really not as bad is you think. Actually, a lot of people are weight-watching (me included!... to a point...). Most girls here could be 5'5", and way 110 pounds (no clue what that is in kilos, sorry), and say, "I'm fat! I really need to lose weight!" Oh, I hate that :angry:

Yes, generally speaking, we are pretty dumb. That's why I vowed a long time ago not to be "the average American." I think the reason that intellegence is so low, is because kids here are raised KNOWING that they will get passed along to the next grade without doing anything, and there's still places to work without a degree (which I think is dumb), and live off of welfare (which is going away to save us from another Depression!)

Like I said, we really don't have a lot of stereotypes of the English. I guess that's because most people here are too stupid to recognize your exsistance! I really hate that kind of stupidity in people. :angry:

Thanks for NOT ganging up on us. Though the only country we REALLY can't take on our own is China (simply cuz they can out-produce us!), it would be really sad to fight our friends. (Guess we're just that lovable! yeah. right. that was said with sarcasm. HEAVY sarcasm). Well, that and, you're one of our most valuble allies!

Oh, and if the American tourists are rude when they come to England, I want to apologize for them. I know how annoying Americans can be! (I should. I am one. Not annoying though :grin: )

sarah

"Yes, generally speaking, we are pretty dumb."

That's an understatement. Now I'm not saying that all of us Americans are stupid but......

Okay, two weeks ago we were learning about migration in science class. Now this class consists with junoirs and senoirs only, so we are talking about 17 and 18 year olds here. And this girl, in my class, is going on a cruise to Jamacia and other Carribean islands pretty soon. Just to let you know I live in the northeastern U.S. Well anyways this 18 year old girl asked if she was likly to see any eskimos in Alaska during the cuise near Cuba and Florida. She did not know that Alaska was hooked on to Canada because the maps of the U.S. always disconnect Alaska and put it close to Texas on the bottom of the map to save room. She actually thought that was where Alaska was until we brought out a map of the world and she then also discovered the placement of Europe, Asia, Africa, and Austraila.

sarah

That girl isn't the only one in my town with severe geogrophy(sp) problems. In 8th grade we were staudying the Indians aka Native Americans. My teacher asked, "When the pilgrams settled in this land which Indians did they encounter first? The east coast Indians, the plains Indians or the Pacific coast Indians?" I was the only one in the class to raise my hand. So the teacher asked again, this time she had a map and used here hands to help the class visiualize. I was still raising my hand and the teacher asked if anyone else knew the answer. SOme other kid then answered "The plains."

*rolls eyes* And Massachusetts (where I live) has Harvard University, the first public school, the first public library (in the U.S.), and are proud to be known as having "the best schools and education in America". And this is what we have to show for it!

Andy

Oh dear... that is pretty pathetic really...

(no offence)

Master MJade

hey beeurd my school has been voted one of the best in the country 3 out of the 4 years

podracer838:

Though the only country we REALLY can't take on our own is China (simply cuz they can out-produce us!),

in what way kids or good cuz if it is goods thats Japan,yes

^Hal^

Podracer838 said:

Hmmm... the war-mongers (a much smaller minority that you'd think) say that y'all are weak, and we could kick your butts in a straight war. (which is mostly based on the American Revolution) Which is not completely true. Are military is only SLIGHTLY stronger, but our hands are tied by politics and the Constitution (that thing REALLY needs another Amendment to fix that!).

Hmmm... actually america could kick us in a straight war, as we have quite a small army. However, our army is the best trained in the world, and according to this thing is was reading, skilled mercenary groups think that the US marines are the worst army group in the world. America would beat any country in the world in a straight war i think, merely because of economic power. China may be able to produce faster, but their communist economy would die in a total war situation. America would be able to hold out. Also, America is always very ready for a war. Did you know that the US have an exact replica of their government, hiding under some mountian somewhere, so that if washington was to be bombed/nuked, they'd still have a fully functional government. Seems almost paranoid to me.

Psychopathic Jedi Chief of Editing

I turn your random posting into a coherent story!

Cadet 03

-~-Sit potentia tecum-~-

[ This Message was edited by: Haladar on 2002-04-26 17:00 ]

^Hal^

Oh my god. You want an example of American stupidity, read this.

I was just watching Have I got news for you (English thing) and on it, one of the players said that when they met George Bush he asked her what state was Wales in. Wales, is in Britain Mr. Bush, not america..

You'd have thought he'd have known...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.