Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

The Theology Thread

Princess

Based on some recent reading, I've been wondering how much we know about Christ is really truth and what is myth. If what I've been taught to believe is just a big tall tale

Drake

I don't believe in that. I believe in what is the Truth and that is everything written in the Bible. If anything disputes that then that is something that was made by the devil (through other people...most likely without their knowledge) to throw people off the track and make them believe that Christ isn't real. God spoke through the many authors of the Bible and what is written there is the absolute Truth (with a capital T).

Princess

But what about the fact that the Gospels were written decades after the death of Christ and not by the apostles that they are credited to?

chozen

I do not believe in the bible.. As I said before.. If you want to know what the bible really says.. Get a copy of the original and learn some dodgy ancient language.

The bibles been corrected so many times throughout history to 'brainwash' the masses into doing what the monarchy and other rulers deeds.

The bible was written by man, and not by God. So you can't call it the word of God and therefore you can't take everything in it for granted.

Radioactive Isotope

a man inspired by God. there's no way to scientifically "prove" any of it is real. you have to take it all on faith, which is something a lot of people have a hard time with. i consider myself pretty strong with my faith, but there are points of doctrine that i have trouble believing.

chozen

And? I'm inspired by what Hitler did for Nazi Germany, does that mean I'm correct in all my opinions about him? Because as far as I see it, the bible is based on opinions.

Radioactive Isotope

when you get to Paul's writings, then i suppose you could say that. mostly, however, it's more or less a history of the people that were living at that time and the laws that they lived by.

chozen

Okay... That means nothing. I don't see what point you're trying to make. :/ Except that Paul reflected on what happened around the times he lived in.

Radioactive Isotope

yup. he felt they were living contrary to God's will and told them so. sometimes a bit more strongly than others, but he definitely got the point across. if everyone lived by those laws, the world wouldn't be as bad off as it is. and if you think about it, many of our laws do come from the Bible.

chozen

And much of the bible comes from our laws.

Radioactive Isotope

how do you figure that?

Drake

Many of the core laws of our societies are based on the 10 Commandments. Such as the laws about murder, theft, etc.

Radioactive Isotope

that's what i was getting at. i'm just a bit confused on how it could work the other way, if it does at all.

Andy

I think I'm close to finding a place to settle in the way of religion.

Because I don't believe a word of the Bible, don't believe in Satan, and more cruically do not believe that Jesus was the son of God; you can quite obviously see that it isn't going t be a Christian religion. lol

CorSec

Do you believe Jesus did exist at one point, if at all?

Andy

It's possible that he did exist, but I still don't believe he was God incarnate.

CorSec

Religion, in my mind, was created to bring order to chaos. It created a community with rules and regulations, as well as something to trust and believe in. At least, it did in the beginning. Still, I don't believe that theres an afterlife, and I'm not seeking spiritual wholeness or enlightenment. I wouldn't feel any better with myself or others if I knew that a greater being(s) had created and molded the Universe. For these reasons, religion would only be a social event if I ever went back. *shrug*

I can see some of the stuff in the bible being true. Some of it at least. It's hard to tell, after all the centuries and translations. The book of Genesis, for example, I definetly don't believe. I guess I'm a Big Bang/Evolution kinda guy myself...

Andy

Well, I'm beginning to believe more in reincarnation than an afterlife. Perhaps there is something eventually, but I can't imagine that all those people who go through regression to find out their past lives are just making it up.

Personally, I hope I get another life after this one, because I messed this one up already. :|

CorSec

Unless you already had a past life in which you were someone else. In which case you don't and wouldn't remember this life if you ever had another one after it. So really, you wouldn't be 'beeurd'.

Tsl

I think a lot of people who go through regression and come up with former lives are sort of lead to come up with stuff by the person taking them back to their previous life.

And it seems a whole lot of people were famous in their past lives, lol. Royalty and movie stars, and famous historical figures.... Imagine that! :p

Andy

Well I dunno about that, but I think that the important lessons from one life get carried over to the next, as well as some bad things, eg: say you drowned in your last life, you could be afraid of water in the next one. or something.

*shrug*

Bad furday

And I don't like water that much....hmmmm.... :p

Drake

Reincarnation, eh? Beeurd's a Hindu! Or is that Buddhist? I guess he could be either... :p

Bad furday

It would be funny if B was a hindu...especially since he works at McDonalds, and is near beef! :lol:

Ender

:lol:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.