Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

The Pope

Alexander

The Pope can't retire, he holds that position until he dies.

Andy

I know he can't. But I think they should let him.

Aurelius

The only problem is that they get the popes when they are almost in the ground.

TheUnknown

The Pope can't abdicate?

MsSolo

Under church law it would be possible for him to resign, but it is centuries since a pope left office voluntarily.  

The last to do so was Celestine V in 1294.  

The Pope's attitude is that God gave him the job, and it is God who will decide when his mission is complete.

taking straight from the article ^_^

1294... That's kinda Chaucerian, isn't it?

Bad furday

Suppose so...but you know that clear plastic container-like bullet shield on the Popemobile? It seems to be saying, " Keep your Pope fresh!" :lol: :p

Ender

:rof:

TheUnknown

It's now December 11, 2004, fouteen months after this thread was created. The Pope is still kicking.

Alexander

Why the hell is everyone bumping old threads?

You better hope the Pope is still alive, because you'll be praying to his liver-spot ass when I kill you! :mad:

:shock:

Edited by Alexander

Tsl

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/02/25/pope/index.html

Holy crap! They trached the Pope?!

Officials are misleading people here. They make it sound like this is some temporary flu relief, like a decongestant or something. They don't just do trachs for the heck of it.

"Asked when the throat tube might be removed, Navarro-Valls said, "We are going to inform you in due time.""

That's also misleading. If he ever gets decannulated, I'll be extremely suprized. If he only needed a temporary airway to be mechanically ventilated, he would've been intubated and put on a vent. He's got a trach and isn't on a vent, breathing on his own shortly after surgery, meaning he needs the airway more than likely because his Parkinson's has got to the point he's aspirating food and was heading towards death by pneumonia.

Heh..."throat tube".....priceless....

((lol, sorry....this is exciting to me because I work with alot of trached kids))

Edited by Tsl

Radioactive Isotope

my guess is, he won't be around much longer.

GI_Admiral

Probably not...

Princess

Unfortunately, His Eminence believe that only a higher power can end his reign as pontiff. But medical science also helps to counter that calling from above

GI_Admiral

Other people do though, considering that its a lifetime position

Radioactive Isotope

well, i've learned when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. and modern medicine can't do a darn thing about it.

Tsl

Then you should stop by my unit... :(

Radioactive Isotope

don't get me wrong, modern medicine is a great thing. i didn't mean for it to sound like it didn't matter. but when that call home comes, you're going regardless of whatever technology and medicine have been invented to save the human life.

GI_Admiral

Tell that to Ted William's son lol

Andy

Who?

GI_Admiral

Ted WIlliams was a famous baseball palyer who died a few years back, his daughter wanted hi cremated his son wanted him cyrogenically (sp?) frozen until we discovered how to bring people back to life.

Tsl

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/27...ster/index.html

Look, they finally admitted that the Pope will not ever be decannulated. Now if only they 'd bother educating the public that he cannot speak with a trach because you can't speak with a trach unless you have a major leak around the cannula (or a small leak and special valve if tolerated)

Drake

The pontiff's failing health represents uncharted territory for the Vatican, according to CNN Vatican analyst John Allen.

They have an analyst for everything, don't they? ;)

It's like on The Daily Show where they just make up a title based on the story. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.