Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Things that changed your life

Andy

Have you ever had a decision to make where had it happened differently it would probably have changed your life?

Here's a few of mine:

From about 8-12 I used to be a bit of a shoplifter, then one day I almost got caught. Just like that I stopped. If I hadn't have been almost caught then, who knows what trouble I would have gotten into later.

[*] When I was 11, we were going to move up to high school. The school had different groups called "houses" (I dunno whether you have them in the US, but they are common in the UK). Traditionally you were put in the same house as any relatives already at the school, but in my case I had cousins in two different houses - They were twins and had been seperated for fighting. I had the choice of going into Bede or Wulstan. Seeing as I went to St. Wulstan's primary school I cose to go into Bede.

If I had chosen Wulstan, I would never have met the guy who got my interested in computers, and I would never have been in the group that helped test the schools new internet hardware when they got it in 1997. Thus practically wiping out my chances of getting involved with the internet.

[*] When I was 12-13, we almost moved to New Hampshire, USA, because of my dad's job at Ulster Carpets. We were actually all set to move when the company called it off, and decided to expand the UK design studio.

It's anybodies guess what would have happened if I'd moved there.

[*] In 1999 an unplanned trip to the cinema resulted in me and my cousin going to see a particular movie... We hadn't gone with the intention of seeing it, but it looked like the best thing on at the time, so we went in and watched Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace...

Ender

I bought a Luke Skywalker figure at Toys R Us, then realized he was from a movie... ;)

Drake

One day, three years ago, during my free period in school...I had an overwhelming sense of boredness. I was scanning over the SW.com website and decided to use my boredness, so I signed up for the message boards. Many connections have been made since...

So, due to boredom...the bane of us all...I found a whole new world of people to talk to and become friends with.

Ender

Same... I just saw "Message Board" and signed up. Twas the first MB I ever was on...

Andy

First message board I signed up for was a SimCity one, in about 1998...

In 2001, when I got my own PC, I discovered the official Red Alert 2 forums, but was flamed away as a newbie, so moved on to Jurassic Park forums... Then StarWars.com got their own message board so I started posting there too. But I went away for a while, back to the JP world, and started planning "aurebesh.net" (yes, it later became galacticbasic). Then I went back to SW.com and stumbled across the Psychopathic Jedi...

Radioactive Isotope

my first MB was SW.com as well. then i joined the second JPL lounge and from there to MSN to here and well, the rest is history.

Girls Camp and EFY have always changed my life for the better. but it's a bit on the religious side and prolly wouldn't interest anyone. :wink:

Ender

Yeah...

Bad furday

No... :p

~And this one's for the hand of fate to point a finger at....'twas no decision of mine......Had I not been taken in by the orphanage in India, adopted, and brought to the US, I would have died and never would know any of you.

~The first time I actually entered the world of SW was for a book report in 5th grade. I had heard of SW before, but never paid it much mind. However, we had a report due, so I figured I'd try out this book called Star Wars. In the end, it was one of the few books that once I'm done reading I've been in the mood to turn back over and read again!

~The first message board I was ever on was the one at SW.com...that's where I lurked about, trying to get to know people...

One day I ventured into the Books and Comics section, and posted on a fanfic called Ongoing Comedy: Jedi Punks....and here I am before you!

I'm sure there's more...just it was so long ago!

Sticks

My dad came home with the SW trilogy Special Edition one night, borrowed from my aunt and uncle, and we sat down and watched the first one. *shrugs* I was hooked instantly, but I really didnt get too much into it until I discovered SW.com and the message boards...i dont like too big of threads, so I usually look at small ones that were just started. The Jedi Punks story just happened to be only a couple pages into it...so I read it, eventually posted...and here I am! :p

Princess

~And this one's for the hand of fate to point a finger at....'twas no decision of mine......Had I not been taken in by the orphanage in India, adopted, and brought to the US, I would have died and never would know any of you.

Someone was watching over you Furday.

TheUnknown

Age 5 - My dad dying. It led to my mother and I moving. It also led to some anger and sadness issues. But my stepfather, his family, and my sister wouldn't be in my life.

No sure when - Seeing Gone With the Wind. I know, it sounds funny, but it got my interested in the Civil War and American history which in turn led me to get more interested in astronomy, geography, politics, etc.

Age 8 - My mom remarrying. It brought my stepfather in my life, which in turn brought me a sister. It also gave me someone intelligent to answer my questions. And, it gave me a father figure.

Age 12 - The darkest days of my life. A lot of things collapsed on me at the same time, leading to depression. This is what defines me the most. It changed my outlook on life, my religion, everything.

Age 14 - I had two book reports due at the same time, one in American Lit that required the author be an American and one in Physical Science that required the book be about science of science fiction. I killed two bird with one stone when I decided to read Stephen King's Firestarter. Not only did it make me a King fan, it also got me interested in reading.

MsSolo

I can't really think of any, but someone asked me what my regrets where the other day, and I coldn't think of any of those either. Still, i'm going to list things other people would consider life-changing decisions, even though I know whatever decision i had made chances are i'd be where I am now anyway, with a few exceptions.

~ age six, dad died. Okay, that changed my life, no denying it. But there weren't any isues from it. Well, not that i know of. It'll be interesting wto see how I react next time someone close to me dies.

~probably around age 7 or 8, mother gets boyfriend. I didn't really notice, he worked in Wales, so we saw him at weekends and as he started working closere to home he stayed here more and more often until he was working nearby and basically moved in. He's been around ever since, and i never know how to refer to him. I tend to settle for 'partner' , but then people think 'gay partner', but boyfriend sounds to 'fleeting' and 'lover' too, well, she's my mother. i'm just not going there, okay?

~ age 11, chose to go to an all-girl private school on an assisted place, when literally everyone I knew was going to a mixed state-school just across the road from my middle school. Spent the next two years being liked by everyone, but not having close enough friends to have someone to sit next to on a regular basis. Teachers worried, i didn't. after a while I made closer friends, but it was a graduly process. I find that works better then making friends quickly on the basis you have hobbies in common, as opposed to temprament.

~ about thirteen, discovered fanficiton. 'nuff said.

~ about fifteen? I was looking for news about when hte next NJO book was going to come on on the SW website, and when looking at an article about SbS I noticed a little 'talk about' button at the bottom. Clicked it, and have since been untterlyhooked to forums ever since. I abandoned chatroom at about 13, so it makes a refreshing difference.

~ age 16, chose to leave girls school to go to a state mixed sixth form college, despite having been offered the scholarship for the girls school. again, left nearly all my friends behind again.

~ now... picking university and doing all htta application sith. I almost never swear, so you can tell just how annoying it is. I have another year of colege, but no, I have to apply by 22nd Septmeber. I should stop talking now.

chozen

You know what I find weird. Many of us have been brought up with a family member away... Strange.

MsSolo

it's becoming very normal these days. 1 in 3 marraiges end in divorce, and there's some really high statistic (40%? 50%?) for the number of kids growing up in single parent families, or with one 'stable' parent and a string of partners. All of Jacqueline Wilson's books are based on kids with at least one mising birth parent, either do=ivorced, dead, never married etc. Nearly every character has a different rason for it as well, and considering hte number of books she's written...

Andy

I think it's supposed to make characters more interesting... It the same in movies too:

Jurassic Park 1, 2, 3. Kids with divorced parents.

The Client - kids live with mother

Star Wars Episode I - Anakin has no father

Star Wars Classic Trilogy - Luke and Leia are adopted.

Terminator 2 - Father is dead, Mother in mental institute.

And I haven't started thinking yet.

MsSolo

its wehn it becomes part of hte plot it can get irritating. so mny films seem to involve almost-divorced people getting back together again. Watched Twister the other night, and found it totally contrived.

Andy

Yeah, I hate that... Like in Liar, Liar... it's a good funny movie, if it wasn't for the getting back together thing :roll:

Ender

Twister was horrible...

MsSolo

I like twister for hte special effects, and the flying cows. Gotta love the flying cows. The plot, not so much.

chozen

I thought it was a real dispointment when the people didn't die..

Ender

Same here.

Bad furday

I wanted widespread death and mega destruction...oh well...

At least the cows were funny.....

Though not surprisingly, the movie was also a way for Dodge to show off it's Dodge Ram truck... :roll:

Radioactive Isotope

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :lol:

chozen

Though not surprisingly, the movie was also a way for Dodge to show off it's Dodge Ram truck... :roll:

:lol: Not that God Ram Truck.. : P

Ender

:rof:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.